World Of Goo Screen Saver

48 replies [Last post]

Hi, I'm working on a World of Goo Screen Saver (unfortunately, it will only work on Windows, I don't know how to program Mac or Linux.Sad ). I was wondering where to post it when I'm done. "Other addins" category? It's not really an addin or utility, just a screen saver. Thanks for any suggestions!

Just post it here, on forum.

How would I go about doing that? I really don't want to pay for any web hosting here. What I meant to ask was what "addin" category it would best fit in.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

As a screen saver is by no means an addin it really wouldn't fit into any of the addin categories. I'd suggest you upload it somewhere else and post a link here. There are enough free file hosters, so you won't have to pay for it. Alternatively I could host it on my server, if you want.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

yeah or u can post it on the samples section!

I am Awsome yes i am and if you have a problem Speak to my friends the Devil, Werewolf, Vampire and The Wizard!!!!!

Okay, thanks for the ideas!
I'll try to upload it soon. Working on adding eyes to the balls to make it look a lot more realistic.

You're restricted to only uploading goomod files here unless you happen to be me. So create a page for it under "utilities", then e-mail me the file and I'll upload it for you.

you should upload your files to "willhostforfood.com"

they dont require membership OR fees

uploading to rapidshare or megaupload is the best choice!they are the most popular on the internet! Laughing out loud

Crazeh man!

ya but willhostforfood doesnt take any time to download...just shows link immediately

Page created, and E-mail sent.
Thanks davidc!

when is it going to be online!

I am Awsome yes i am and if you have a problem Speak to my friends the Devil, Werewolf, Vampire and The Wizard!!!!!

Didn't receive any file (checked my junk folder etc). davidc @ this domain.

Wow, that's odd. Let me try to send it again. I had trouble at first because my school E-mail won't let me send applications via E-mail as attatchments, so I tried sending it by my personal E-mail, and the school computers don't like my ISP. If I can't get this to work, I might have to give my .scr an odd file extension to bluff the school E-mail out...

Edit: Okay, I found the problem. My E-mail bounced back because your E-mail wouldn't accept the attatchment. It's a little odd, but I'll try renaming the file .goomod and sending it to you. It'll really be a .zip file.

Edit2: Message sent again, with a .goomod attatched that really is a .zip, not a real .goomod

Wow, the screensaver isn't really what I expected at all. But I guess since it's the ONLY one out right now, it should be really popular.

Yeah, I didn't really give you anything TO expect. If you have any suggestions for a screen saver, let me know, and I'll consider them.

kay how about the WoG logo in the middle of the screen (black screen)

and a starting triangle (for towers) underneath...
with three gooballs moving through it (i mean on the fixed path of the triangle of course)

Okay, so the balls would build themselves onto the structure at random locations? (then reset after a bit) or just see them climbing around? I can see how this would be a good idea...

I mean the triangle would not build up, I just mean the balls would be moving in circles around the triangle structure ON the triangle itself.

What if the tower just kept on building itself with different types of goo?
Or if it simulated one of the levels, such as Fisty's Bog?

OR MAYBE...

It could be showing screenshots of levels randomly appearing one after another underneath the WoG logo!

Good suggestions!
If I have the time, I might get around to make something like this. Keep the great ideas rolling!

Great! I hope you don't mind me asking but...what program do you use to make the screensavers?

Good old, hard, cold C++ programming language.
I do use a C++ game engine I bought and modify it slightly with each program I make.

OH well that's a LITTLE bit different then just going straight out into the pure programming language. But that's still cool!

Thanks.
Okay, I've offically started work on WOG screensaver version 2.0 (let me know if you think of a better name). Here's what I'm thinking:
*Starts with 2DBoy logo
*Fades to black and shows a starting triangle with a bunch of goos moving around on it
*Goo balls build onto each other until no buildable goos left (i.e. Albino, common, Ivy)
*Some kind of transition into another screenshot of game.
*Repeat indefinitely.
There are 11 screenshots total, and six of them (one of WOG corp and one level of each island) are in a seperate folder, so you can switch them out for your own. The other screenshots are compiled into the program, so they can't be modified.

Of course, this will take me a few weeks to make completely, so be patient!

Does this sound good?

By the way, the game engine is uncompiled source code, so to make it run I have to put my own code in. So I am using sraight pure programming language. Smile

sounds great for me, I can't wait for this Laughing out loud

GREAT! Oh and the fact that your using straight C++ is pretty awesome! Wink

...And complicated. Unfortunately, the way I have it currently set up, there won't be any physics simulations (Gooey looking Goo Balls or swaying structures) because I don't currently know how to program DirectX, which would make this slightly easier. If I have free time, though, I'll see what I can come up with! (maybe over some of these holiday breaks that are coming up)

Cool thanks for letting us know.

Regarding self-building towers, I was thinking about this myself recently and I couldn't think of a good way to programatically decide where to place the next ball, particularly if there's proper physics simulation. What was your idea?

Best thing I could come up with was maybe downloading someone's tower from the leaderboard and building that automatically Smile

Check out the BOY framework from 2D Boy for wrappers around the DirectX stuff. But for physics, they used ODE.

-davidc