Writing a Book or Guide?

16 replies [Last post]

Just wondering is there any way that I could wirte an improved guide or book to modding the entire world of goo game? Or is someone already working on that? Maybe if someone is doing that already then we could work together to edit it and get it done faster? Because everyone who tries to make their own game is just confused by the island.xml file book and the mapworldview book so why don't we just fix them into a guide on how to majorly mod the game like I'm doing with EARTH OF GOO: THE GOOEY PART 2?

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

yes, that is a good idea.
We could write a guide for modding every part of world of goo.
there is already one, But davidC Doesn´t care about the new users of World Of Goo.
So the actual guideline is not acurrate at all
If we would make a guide it should be :Simple, "Understandable",fun, and fast.

Why?
Because users demand more priority to the information at the hand at any time.
Sooooo this is good idea.If i can i will collaborate!

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

Hey!!!
I have other idea!!
Now that I am Starting this of "goofans in youtube " maybe we could make tutorials (a bunch of them) And help users to their questions.

Hey You!

Nope, only people on the NotWog2 team and moderators can edit and make book pages.

By the way, why do the NotWog2 team members have so many moderator powers?!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
By the way, why do the NotWog2 team members have so many moderator powers?!

They do? I didn't think that they could make pages... at least I don't remember being able to before I became a full-fledged moderator.
G0o-gle wrote:
But davidC Doesn´t care about the new users of World Of Goo.

Hee, hee.
Back when he wrote those pages, you had to be a modding expert to even create a level (come to think of it, he probably wrote those before there was such thing as a modding expert). It's not that he doesn't care. Those pages make complete sense if you have any knowledge of XML programming. If you asked me to rewrite them, I would just add a heading at the top that gave links to some XML tutorials online and would say "if you don't understand, read these and come back."

As for you all writing a guide, have at it! You have my support all the way (and if you have any questions, let me know). If it's good, I'll put the pages on this site for you.

I agree with that last part completely! Smile

And yes, they can make pages by uploading an HTML file to the server under the Books directory.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Argh! i misunderstand one time more!
ok when i say freely:
"DavidC Doesn´t care about us"
I was compressing a big thought:

When all common users say" Oh! I will make a level and it will be fun and good!"
And the users feel good and think that they can do it!
But After a user see " oh this is too hard" and he maybe, start to get bored with the modding thing
Why Not make that the common user learn something about specifically make mods or stuff like that?
Because it´s fool that you want to start something and it says "Hey you can´t do this because you need to know xsl xmo html java c++ to create a simple level, so you can´t and first learn al that and then come back, hum!"
Why not make a guide to the user to make the life more simple?
users now have and want to make so many things and handle especifical stuff
When you search A recipe of chicken the pages doesn´t say"First you need to know the type of pan and the carrots and items you will add because the summ...bla bla bla"
You only search for that recipe and that´s all!
So the main point is give a hand to young and non-expert users
and dont make them feel like it´s is a supercomplicated thing that is impossible.
Do you know what I mean?

Hey You!

I'm working on a HTML5 level editor that's really simple and online, for beginning modders. It should help with some of that.

Actually, if you understand basic xml aspects, you should be able to mod with this site's tools perfectly easily. I've looked at a few, and Daft As Brush made some fantastic programs. They do a lot of that stuff for you, so if you need to make a level, I suggest you use the level editor for most things.

As for a guide for new users, I think it's a great idea. make sure to explain what xml is and show an example for each type of configuration in a mod.

Sorry if I haven't posted in a while... but yes! Let's collaberate and make it simple for the new users! So... how should we start? I suggest we start by describing with the very basics of GooTool then explaining the Level Editor, Ball Editor and Goovie/Movie Editor (maybe each in a chapter?)then the hard stuff, like making custom images brand new in photoshop to look goo-d in the game (pun intented)then how to edit/add buttongroups and that stuff then how to make levels play in the island.xml files and the tags for them... etc... just a start I suppose...

P.S OH! We should totally make movies to everything explained in the book and post them on youtube then link the vids to the guide relating!

P.S.S The begining should probably be a prolouge saying you should have world of goo and at least played through it once and a great attitude about it before you should start modding! Also we should have something when new people join or view that says: New to modifying the game? click here! with a link to the book!

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Yes

Ok. I was also thinking that evryone working on this should have each other's e-mail adresses so we can discuss the bbbook faster since replying on the foruns takes a while. Also we should know when certain people can work on it to avoid qustions when we meet to talk about through e-mail or someting. To avoid questions like: where's albino pokey I thought he was here with this part of the book? Or why is this part missing? Etc. And everyone should get a certain part of the book to write so everyone has something to do based on what they're good at. And everyone should have to use the same program to write the book so we avoid strange fonts and other issues that could mess it up when it gets put on the site!

I don't mind making minor formatting adjustments before placing it on this site. I just mind having to reformat everything, so if you all can follow the same formatting guidelines, that would be great.

Also note that the formatting for book pages is the same as formatting for regular comments, so be sure to only use HTML tags that are here: http://goofans.com/filter/tips

Best of luck to you guys on this project! I'm going to be trying to write tutorials and pages myself as I have time.

Okay, my email is AlbinoPokey at gmail.

For those interested, new tutorial on modifying original Goo Ball graphics: http://goofans.com/developers/addin-file-format/creating-ball-changing-mod

I forget exactly where the original question for that came up, so I'm just posting it here.

MOM4Evr wrote:
I forget exactly where the original question for that came up, so I'm just posting it here.

Smile

I suggest... well, I've run out of suggestions Tongue

Keep up the good work?

Um... Okay has anyone written anything for this? I'm just wondering becasue until now, my computer was busted so I couldn't do anything to help! Tongue Sad