Thruster Balls! :) :P :~

8 replies [Last post]

Ok, so I've encountered a problem with some future gooballs I want to include in Earth of Goo: The Gooey Part 2.... Puzzled

I did read all the research info on the thruster section in the reference guide, and applied most of what I saw Goomatz did in coding his own thruster balls.... however.... I still am experiencing challenges! Sad

Basically what happens is: I hit test with WoBLE and am able to attach the thrusters correctly, but, for some reason, every single time they attempt to thrust the structure on the ground upwards by pulling (I have the thrusters set to -300), they just stretch their strands so far that they break even though I disabled the detachable strand attribute.

I have no idea why they aren't able to thrust the entire structure up.... even if I bump the little two strand of fire goos off the platform into the air and attach my thruster balls fast enough before the strand hits the ground, it still stretches the thruster's strands until they break instead of pulling the actual structure!

Any ideas what could be wrong?!?

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Detachable has nothing to do with the strength of your strands, it only affects whether the player can remove the ball from a structure. Check the parameters of the strand, specifically the spring constant and the maxlen.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Increase the "maxforce" value of the strand. Wink

edit: Use something bigger than 300.
It must be a big structure if you want to lift it with a thrust=-300 ball.

the structure isn't that big though.... that's what confuses me.... it's only the little triangle you start your test goo on in WoBLE. Puzzled

I may try adjusting that AP, but I don't know if it'll help... I think I did that before and it didn't. The maxlength is just 110.... so it shouldn't stretch till it breaks..... Puzzled

EDIT: Yay! Progress!! The maxforce was default, which was 0 and very weak for thrusters to use.... I changed that to some ridiculously high number, and now the strands don't break immediately.... but the problem with them still stretching infinitely with the thrusts until they run into something else is still happening... Sad

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

What type of strands are you using?
Can you post the content of the ball.xml here?

You know what? It was the springconstmax and min! I had nothing in those boxes and so I set them to 20 and now it works! But now -300 is way way too much force. Tongue The structures go so fast you can't keep up with them in the camera.... so I'll reduce it. But thank you all so much! XD Laughing out loud

Now I know when making thruster balls to make sure they have a large maxforce on the strands and a springconstmin and max. Big smile

Oh yes, -300 is way too much, that's why I thought that it must be a big structure you want to lift up. Tongue
The sprinconstmin and max are generally needed not only for the thruster balls. Wink

edit: springconstmin and max 20 is also too high. It will cause the shaking bug very easy when used with strand type "spring".

Well.... the reference guide suggests that as a maximum.... so I want these balls to be as strong as they can be for pulling things.... but if I encounter the shaking bug when using them in levels, then I'll be sure to change that. Smile

Don't worry, they'll be strong enough. Try 12, which is closer to what was used in the original game.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.