convert iPad/iPhone game saves to Linux/Win/Mac

11 replies [Last post]

Hi,
I've been playing a lot on iphone lately at WorldOfGoo (and of course is great!), but I was wondering if it's possible to transfer profiles back and forth between platforms.
I know it's possible between Win Linux and Mac (already done that), and I've found the com.2dboy.worldofgooiphone.plist on iphone (via ssh) that contains pers2.dat but I don't know how to convert it since they seems to be formatted differently.
Have anyone managed to accomplish this? it would be great to play when possible on a bigger screen (and maybe synchronize saves seamlessly with somthing like dropbox!).

Thanks in advance!

H.

sorry for late replay helldrik.

Well, currently it is not possible to transfer save files but when GooTool 1.1 come you will be able to transfer files. hope I helped

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Hi Pavke,
thanks for the answer!

It would be really cool to use it with the GooTool 1.1 seamlessly but if there were any "more hacker" way to do it via command line tools, it would be fine for me since I usually work on Linux (mostly command-line), and I'll be glad to test and help maybe Smile

H.

I'm not sure, it depends on the pers2.dat encryption. I haven't done much research so I'm not sure if there is one.

You can try to copy your pers2.dat file from your iPhone to you computer. Try to open it with some text editor, like Notepad++. If that doesn't work try decrypting using GooTools "for Mac" option

And if that doesn't work, if you have some programing skills you can try to find decryption key for yourself. You take a look at current encryption/decryption codes to have an idea how its done.
I don't have the code that people used to decrypt the first pers2.dat files for PC and Mac, old forums are gone and so are these program codes...
You can download GooTool source from here and try to find the decryption code there or you can send an email to davidc and ask him where there are...

If somehow you can open pers2.dat file and get a readably XML lines that means you can easily transfer your profile from iDevice to your computer

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

It may be similar to the iPad format, which davidc talked about here: http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/profile-file-format

Most of the pers2.dat isn't xml, though. If you can get any sort of readable text, that means it worked. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Thank you guys for all the helpful tips, I'll check all stuff and source code...and try to come up with something Smile
I'll let you know in case of success (hoping to have enough time to make it!)

H.

I succesfully converted a savegame from iDevice, but I didn't had time to code an easy solution.
Btw, here are the steps necessary to accomplish the task:
1-
scp your savegame from iDevice to your computer [1]
scp root@10.0.2.8:/private/var/mobile/Applications/94F46F94-0C71-4B49-ADEB-9DDBEF217F8B/Library/Preferences/com.2dboy.worldofgooiphone.plist /Users/helldrik/Downloads/
where 10.0.2.8 is my iphone ip address
/private/var/mobile/Applications/94F46F94-0C71-4B49-ADEB-9DDBEF217F8B/Library/Preferences/ is the path where you can find your savegame (I think it may be different from device to device)
com.2dboy.worldofgooiphone.plist is your savegame file
/Users/helldrik/Downloads/ is where you want to put your file locally

2-
edit with a basic editor the file you just copied and delete characters before the number "4" at the very beginning of the file.
In my case I have the string bplist00Ñ^A^BYpers2.datO^Q^]å4,mrpp1,09,profile_07625,Helldrik,10,17599,29,GoingUp,10,4,26,EconomicDivide,15,9,119,HangLow,13,13,249,blablabla
and I changed in 4,mrpp1,09,profile_07625,Helldrik,10,17599,29,GoingUp,10,4,26,EconomicDivide,15,9,119,HangLow,13,13,249,blablabla

at the end of the file delete everything after 4619382,_Helldrik,0.

Where obviously you'll find your profile name instead of Helldrik Wink

3-
Last step. Use GooTool to convert your new file in to a valid pers.dat savegame.
Click Advanced --> Encrypt --> Encrypt .bin file
Select your edited file and save it in the appropriate folder (see this http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/profile-file-format ) on your computer, and rename it "pers2.dat".

Hope to help someone with that mini-how-to Smile

Cheers!

H.

[*1]for more information on scp read manpage http://linux.die.net/man/1/scp
(or use iphone explorer if you are unfamiliar with command-line http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/ )
[*2]http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/profile-file-format

I didn't quite get that last step. Otherwise thanks alot! I was looking to do the same thing!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

The last step is just encrypting it, then renaming it to a .DAT, right?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

exactly, you have to encrypt it with gootool and rename it pers2.dat, it should work Smile
I've edited slightly the last step!

H.