Different versions of WOG

12 replies [Last post]

I'm confused about the different versions of WOG. The one on Amazon is released in 2008 and the one on Xbox.com is released on Dec 2009
http://www.amazon.com/World-Goo-Pc/dp/B001ENOVP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/World-of-Goo/66acd000-77fe-100...

Please make it clear for me which one is newer? As i can see on Wikipedia the latest version for Windows is 1.3

There are several different versions of the game, mostly for different platforms.
1.3 was the only real update, it added some features for level creators and fixed a bug (in 1.2 there is a certain level that you can only play once).

• For Windows you can get version 1.2 on disk (I think), but there is a patch to upgrade it to 1.3.
  • You can also get version 1.3 from 2DBoy.com, downloadable.
  • Version 1.4 has some slight changes (such as multimouse), but it is only for Linux.
  • If you have a Wii, you can download it on WiiWare. The only difference in this version is that you can have multiple people play at the same time, but you cannot upload your records to the leaderboards.
  • The iOS and Android versions are nearly the same as the Windows ones, with some slight changes:
    • The iPhone has pinch-to-zoom.
    • The iPad has multitouch.
    • I think the Android has both?
    • All of them have a special cutscene at the end that does absolutely nothing.

If you are using a computer, I would recommend getting the game from 2DBoy.com, because it's slightly cheaper and all the money goes straight to the developers. Plus you will have the game instantly and it will automatically be the latest version.

If you want to use another device, you can just download it from the Wii Shop Channel/App Store/Android Market.

I hope that cleared it up. The game is amazing, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Hi Albino I have the Android version it's fantastic.but i'm talking about the Windows version.
1)it's $20 on 2DBoy.com and is more expensive than other places such as Steam,Amazon.
2)The one one Xbox.com is 76.5 MB but on Amazon is 65 MB. Why is that?
3)And WHY NOT buy the CD ROM?
4)Why is the one on Xbox.com released in Dec 2009 and the one on Steam and Amazon released in October 2008?

Please answer those questions.

The reason I recommend 2DBoy.com's version is that it is DRM-free, whereas some others (eg, Steam) are not. For example, Steam's is exactly like 2D Boy's except that it can't be readily modded and it has achievements.

The CD-ROM and download versions should be identical, though. I just prefer to download immediately instead of waiting for a disk to ship. If you want a hard copy, you can always burn the download version to a CD.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Thanks Albino but you haven't answered them all yet. Smile and what do you mean by achievements? What kind of achievements does Steam offer?

Acknowledgements that you beat some goal. Things like "Chapter 1 Complete" and "Chapter 1 OCD".

But I have no clue about the copy on XBox.com. Sorry.

I love achievements but the one on 2DBoy.com is $20 and the one on Steam is only $9. Which one will you choose? also What does DRM do?

Steam games are fun. Achievements are fun. If it's cheaper, I'd get it. (and it's still DRM-free as running the exe in steamapps folder on your computer will work even if Steam isn't open)

If a game has DRM it usually has some sort of online-checking system or registration key to make sure you have a legitimate copy. It tends to be annoying for modders.

DRM's are generally fine until the site that requires the DRM goes down. Then you're sunk and can never play the game again. I think the Steam version of World of Goo works fine with GooTool and all the mods, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but generally, yes, mods don't work too well with DRM'd games.

I personally have DRM'd and DRM-free copies of World of Goo, so it's not too much of a problem for me. What you can do, I think, is buy the game from Steam, and download the demo also, then copy the demo's .exe over into the Steam game's directory. That way, you ought to be able to have both also. I'm not entirely positive if that'd work.

Long story short, get whatever copy you want. If money is a huge issue for you, the Steam version should be fine. If you can afford it, though, I'd say get the copy from 2DBoy.com, as all the money there goes to the development of future awesome indie games, rather than the Steam people getting a cut of the cash.

There is a slight EXE difference between demo and full: demo has code for the "End of Demo" link. Other than that, it would work.

World of Goo on my Android device doesn't support multitouch, and I didn't see Route 99 and Mighty Blimp, but I can pinch-to-zoom.

The records on PC upload to www.worldofgoo.com.
The records on iOS upload to Apple's Game Center.
The records on Android upload to OpenFeint.

Mygod wrote:
The records on PC upload to www.worldofgoo.com.

Actually, now they upload to Goofans. 2D Boy's leaderboards died long ago.

Thank you all guys for your answers.