Crash when going to virtual corporation (Android)

12 replies [Last post]

I've loved the game so far. I've made it two levels into chapter 4, and when I try to go to the world of goo corporation, it shows the loading screen, then just crashes. I looked in the log file, and the last line was just 'loading level wogc' (or something like that). I've had some issues where it crashed after I finished a level, when trying to go back to the selection screen, but I've been able to fix that by manually re-installing the APK.
I don't know if this just a bug, and I have to live with it, or it's something on my end that I can fix.
Any suggestions?

I wouldn't say that it's a common bug, since this is the first I've heard of it, so it should be fixable on your end. However I haven't got an Android device so I can't really help much.

I'd suggest a reinstall, which I'm guessing would fix such a crash on the PC version, but it seems that you've already tried it. Hope you can get this fixed somehow, sorry I can't be of more help!

Now I can't get to it at all. I wiped all data, reinstalled, didn't transfer my save data, even starting fresh, I can't get to the Corporation level.
I flashed a new ROM to my phone after about the first chapter because the whole system was unstable. I know I got to corporation then. I'm not entirely sure if I did on this ROM, but I think so.
Could it be some sort of issue with the multiplayer and high score system (is it openfeint?)
Does world of goo sign in before you load the corporation level?

EDIT: Nope. Not related to OpenFeint. I guess it's just something about this ROM.

Sorry, but this is a legal version, right? Otherwise your download link might have something wrong.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yes, I actually purchased the game from the Market.
The only other thing I can think of is if there's some big difference between that level and all the others, maybe if it relies on certain files that should be in the OS? This ROM didn't come with all the Google Apps installed, maybe it needs one?
Hmm, thinking about it, that's probably what's going on. Is there source or something one can poke around in to see what files it requires?
My previous ROM was just a modified stock Android image, and this one is from scratch. That really does make me think there's a missing dependency.

The Android version hasn't been fiddled with a lot, and unfortunately I don't think there's a (known) way to look into the level's information like how you do it on the PC/Mac/Linux versions. However I can tell you that the WoGCorp levels do have some differences to normal ones, for example it's the only original level with no horizontal bounds. It's also the only one that gets launched from a button on the main screen.
So far the crash simply seems to imply that an image or other level resource is missing/corrupt. Or at least, that's how the issue would be recreated for the PC version.

By the way I forgot to ask, has the Corporation ever loaded normally? If so then you may have changed something on your Android recently to cause the crash.

The levels in the APK appear to be decrypted versions of the ones in the PC demo. I decrypted the demo's wogc.level.bin and compared it to Android's wogc.level.bin.mp3, and they were identical.
The directories in the APK are set up similar to the PC install.
I don't really know, but I think it would be possible to edit levels in the Android version.

Anyway, I think the log showed it loaded all the resources correctly, but I could be wrong. It's here if someone wants to look at it.
Hm, yeah, removing some resources in the PC version causes the same crash. Maybe I am missing some file in my phone install, somehow. Maybe this ROM didn't install it correctly? I guess I could write a script to check that all the files in the log exist.
Knowing my luck, it's some freak bug that only happens once, ever.

You could download the proper XML files from this site, David has them...somewhere...here...okay, where did they go? Puzzled

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

First of all, is the mp3 extension even supposed to be there? I'm guessing it is (some Android-version thing), but check if any normal levels have it.

Other than that I would recommend checking out if any images from the WoGCorp level are missing. You don't need a script, and you can just look for images that appear in the PC version (since you can't view it on your Android). Since this apparently happens with all WoGCorp versions (virtual as well as normal), be sure to check res/images and res/images/levelimages in addition to the level folders, since those host images that appear in all WoGCorps (such as the nukem_button_over.

You may also need to compare the res/images/flags folder with your PC one. Although the absence of one or two doesn't cause a crash on PC when I tested it, you may as well be safe.

Yeah, everything is there. I give up. I guess this is just some bug with my custom ROM, and I'll just have to live with it. I'm setting up a multiboot situation on my phone to test out some cool new roms, it might work with one of those -shrug-

Yeah, I can't think of anything else. Hope the new ROMs work.

In any case, I'd suggest emailing 2DBoy using their contact form, telling them a few details about what happened. Even though they might not be able to fix it, the may know what's wrong, and can then fix it in later versions.

sorry about that rexxar, I don't think any of us has an android device except gooballs of fire, and i am just assuming he has the device due to a Lab in gmail.

-_-

I did send them an email a few days ago; it's a strange bug, and it might be something they'd like to look at.