No really. How do you use it?
Because writing signatures is too mainstream
Open it by clicking the link, wait for the default announcements to load, then whatever you type gets sent to everyone else on IRC. So you can hold a real-time conversation more easily than on the forums.
But, like the forums, whatever you say becomes permanent. Moderators have access to the IRC logs, so don't say stuff you wouldn't say here. According to the log for this morning MOM4Evr showed you the basics how it worked, and you seem to understand it.
Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.
There is logs?!?! Luckily I didn't say anything wrong.
| WoGModifier | Island 1 Infinite | More... |
[01:50] <Mygod> Go play world of goo...
[01:50] <Mygod> Bye
But nobody really looks at the logs. There are so many of them, they're only really useful to check if somebody came online on a particular day, or to check the time when a goomod was approved.
Oh! Well, as you can see, i left randomly...My internet suddenly shut down. Sorry MOM4Evr
No worries. Connectivity issues are commonplace in IRC.
IRC | 1.3 Patch | Reference Guide
Well, i am back now
i cant use the web chat
All my addin | I love you World of Goo!
goo23: You could try using an IRC client, like Quassel, Trillian, Pidgin, etc. All you'd have to do is set the server to irc.efnet.info (if I recall correctly) and join channel #world-of-goo. If you want, I could give you step-by-step instructions for setting it up.
thanks mom i really need that, but i still don't really understand
EDIT: is that your art work? an alien?
Ok, so the webchat here uses IRC, (Internet Relay Chat), which is just a protocol for communicating back and forth between computers (HTTP is another protocol you may be familiar with).
Quassel, Mibbit, and the like are all IRC clients, which mean they are programs you can use to connect to an online server to send and receive information (Your computer right now is a client connecting to the goofans server).
So, nuff said about that. Here's how to set up Quassel (my personal favorite IRC client) to go on goofans chat:
1. Download quassel. You'll want the standalone client version from here: http://quassel-irc.org/pub/quassel-setup-0.8.0.exe
2. Install. 'Nuff said.
3. I'm not sure the exact order of the steps, since it's been a while since I first started using Quassel, but you'll want to create an identity first that says who you are (your nickname). I would suggest making several nicknames for this identity. For example, I have mine set to "MOM4Evr", and if that one fails, to "MOM4Evr_", then "MOM", "MOM4Evr__", and so on. Two should be a bare minimum.
4. Set up the network. When you hit the button to add a new network, you'll see the option to use a preset, with a drop-down menu that defaults to "Aniverse" or something like that. The goofans server is on EFnet, so browse the list and see if you find it. It may not be there; it isn't for me. If it is, select that, hit OK, and skip the next step. If not, read on:
5. Manually specify network settings. You'll want the Network Name set to "EFnet", the server address set to "irc.efnet.info", and the port set to "6667". There's no password, so ignore that field and ignore the "Use secure connection" checkbox and hit OK.
6. You should be able to see Quassel's main window now. Unless it's greyed out, click the "Connect" button in the upper left corner, and below that click on the "EFnet" that appears in the left pane to select it. You should see some text start appearing in the main window in center. It'll be something like
 *** Processing connection to irc.eversible.com
 *** Looking up your hostname...
 *** Checking Ident
 *** No Ident response
 *** Couldn't look up your hostname
* Received CTCP VERSION request by Evdroneemail@example.com
7. Say hi! Start typing. Depending on who's online or paying attention, you may not get any response for a while, so leave Quassel open for a couple hours before giving up and closing it. davidc, sargasso, goobot, and goomc are on 24/7 normally, so they probably won't respond to you. But if I'm there:
8. Highlight me. That means type my name exactly, and my IRC client will pop up a little notification box to get my attention. Of course, if I respond, don't spam it and highlight me constantly, or else I'll get pretty annoyed.
9. Please don't PM me. A lot of people do this. They come on IRC and PM me, and it's really obscenely annoying. In Quassel to PM someone, you right-click their username and click "Show Query". If you do that to me, and you don't have a good reason to say something that absolutely nobody else will hear, I'll get annoyed. Maybe even leave, or kick you if I have operator status. So please don't do that.
10. Hang around a while! Let me know if you have any questions as to how Quassel works or how IRC works in general. I'll be absolutely sure to give you far more details than you could ever possibly want to know. I think these instructions should be fairly adequate to get Quassel set up, but I'm using a slightly older version of the client, so something may be slightly off. If you are stuck anyplace, let me know.
Cheers, and I hope to see you on IRC soon!
P.S. And my new avatar is a Yorp (an alien from Mars) from the awesome DOS game Commander Keen.
guynietoren from the Public Commander Keen Forum drew it. And I totally used it without asking permission from him first. XD
is this right https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4TRdCDtrGX_TEQ3bXFhcUMwS3M/edit
EDIT: nobody in
WEGFanStudio(tm) - World of Goo, EDGE and Gish Fan
OH GOD WHAT"S UP WIHT MOM4Evr's NEW PROFILE PIC?! LOL!!!!
@goo23: Ok, looks like it just set up Foonetic and the #quassel channel automatically. Click the Settings menu->Configure Quassel and choose the "Networks" item on the list on the left. Choose "Add Network", as shown:
Then, go back and start from step 4. I think it does have a preset for EFnet, so you should be able to ignore step 5.
As it is right now, you CAN chat; just click on the #quassel channel on the left and start typing. However, this is on the wrong server and chatroom, so nobody from goofans is there (and a few hundred people who aren't from goofans are there). I'll hang around that server for the next few days, just to be able to answer questions if you have any. I can't be on 24/7, though.
Some of the people there may be able to help you also, but they have lives and stuff and probably don't want to answer questions about setting up Quassel. But if I'm there, I can help.