World of Goo Fan Sequel

193 replies [Last post]

For anybody wondering where my art tutorial is: https://

Also, your bg looks pretty cool StarCastler! I might make a level for it.

Also, Sampson375, if you made something similar to what I made, you can use it. If you want, I can send you the image I made as well.

I made goomods.

I updated the level to version 2.1, fixed a small visual bug.
Anyway, I think this stage can go on NotWorldOfGoo2.
Also, how about we start making stages? Here's some ideas for Chapter 1. Let me know if you want to change anything.
*Chapter 1 should be called "Sky-high Mountains; the beta version of WOG actually has something similar.
*For the first few stages, either one of these could happen:
*The first few stages are normal stages, then suddenly a small tower of Ivy goos and "Evil" Eyes have landed on the planet.
*OR the first few stages are about landing the small tower. I thought we could do the first option however, because it lets World of Goo players get a small recap of all the basic things in World of Goo.
*The rest of the levels are about climbing the mountains, and eventually going inside the mountains.
*The final stage could be called "The Limits" or something.

Let me know if you like it, or just want to change some things. Smile

Hey guys, I am still working on this as well. However, since this will almost be like a new game, I think we should remake lots of custom graphics for the game and levels, I know its a lot of work but its just a thought

EDIT: I have a question and an idea. Gooey Goo, can I use the red misty from your WOG 1/2 in a level idea? Also, remember the mighty blimp from the iOS version of WOG? I think we could make it useful (unlike in the iOS version) by using it in a sky type leve, which could be cool

Jim2102 wrote:

EDIT: I have a question and an idea. Gooey Goo, can I use the red misty from your WOG 1/2 in a level idea? Also, remember the mighty blimp from the iOS version of WOG? I think we could make it useful (unlike in the iOS version) by using it in a sky type leve, which could be cool

You can use that texture no problem. As for the blimp, I have a way that could work. Basically, The blimp would be a bunch of geometry, with one part off screen, and affected by gravity. It'd be like Down&Out by PeterB.

I made goomods.

I've been sick for the past two days so I wasn't able to work on the project.

But I'm back, and I've been making some art!

How about we start on Chapter 1?

I can make the first stage.
Should it be about landing on this newfound planet? Or just a normal stage?

Actually I had an idea for making the 1st level. Maybe me and philiplolz could make levels for chapter 1. However, I have an idea for a cutscene. Before the 2dboy presents cutscene, we should have a cutscene of the gooballs landing on the new planet, then when that one is finished, proceed with the 2dboy intro, but it should say "2dboy and goofans present". Just an idea...

Here is the 1st level for Chapter 1 I made, hopefully it should be good enough for a first level: LINK DELETED

I don't know if you guys know this, but it's possible to make a level that is just a cutscene. We can use this level to show the prior events of the game. The only issue is that if the player plays the cutscene but quits the game, the level will be finished.

Also, because there are more World of Goo Fan Sequel Levels, I'm making one right now involving a mighty blue blimp. It's been a little difficult to get working but I hope to complete it soon.

EDIT: Brace yourself Jim2102, I've got a bunch of critique for your level. First off, it's a little too similar to Tacomann's first level, from the goo filled tree. Another issue is that the pipe is obscured by the tree, making the level difficult to complete. Also, I think the sign painter should discuss the World of Goo corporation later on. For now, they should be like an ally to the goo balls. Lastly, Evil eyes are suckable, so they can go in the pipe. However, I have made an unsuckable version if you want to use that.

I made goomods.

How does this look for art? Trying to pin the art style down some more.

http://imgur.com/ZYMikZH

StarCastler wrote:

That's the best you've done!

My only concern is that the higher grass part has a really dark outline that it looks black. But it's cool nonetheless.

I made goomods.

StarCastler wrote:

That's the best you've done!

My only concern is that the higher grass part has a really dark outline that it looks black. But it's cool nonetheless.

I made goomods.

That outline on the higher one I accidentally put on the wrong layer Tongue
That's the only problem with this one.

Fixed the problem, just had to move that outline part from the wrong layer to the right one.

Alrighty then, I knew it probably wasn't gonna make it in. So i'll make the first 2 levels with your's and starcastlers art, if you guys are ok with that... Btw gooey goo, are we gonna use your "blue blimp" level in this project?

To Jim2102-

In case you haven't noticed the first chapter is a mountain, so having trees and grass is kinda weird.

I have some art you can use for your stages (hills, pits, you name it)

How does this look for a first level?

I know, please discard that first level I made. I had originally planned for the goos to continue on to the mountains from the first level

Cool for a first level Wink

EDIT: I made a level for chapter 1 using one of gooey goo's art image. It should definitely be better than the first one: UPDATED LINK BELOW
Also StarCastler, if you have art images for levels, I would be happy to make levels for them Smile

I like "Climbing" and "The Mighty Blue Blimp." I think these could definitely fit into Chapter 1.
These both look good, but one thing with Climbing is the slightly off color tone, do you think it needs a different background color?

I could use the bg from Drool to make it a brighter yellow, if you think that will improve it

I'm back!

And Jim2102, Good level! However, nobody can escape from my critique Crazy

While the grass is an issue I can fix, the level feels empty. If you have no idea how to fix that, add some spikes to the sides, and maybe some more goo balls..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the blimp level I made was more of a concept. If somebody has an idea of how the blimp could be used in a cool way, let me know so I can try to create said idea.

Double Edit: Here you go Jim: http://imgur.com/zNsLl5d

I made goomods.

Gooey Goo, does this look about right for the image creation process? I want to be totally sure so I can do it consistently.

By the looks of it, you seem to be doing fine. I'd just make the stripes less spaced out, or at least thicker. I think that'd look better, but if you like the way it looks, then you don't have to change that.

I made goomods.

All right, thanks for the advice! Your tutorial is the best, it's so helpful. Smile

Wow I'm starting to think that you guys don't like my levels lol XD

I made an updated version of Climbing with more gooballs, spikes (& less grass), and changed the bg to a brighter yellow bg. Hopefully there won't be any critique with this new version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6vuZewM9LS9VWlEVWN4dllCcDg/view

Also, I have an idea for a blue blimp level. When gooey goo mentioned the Down&Out level by Peter B, I thought of making a similar level, but with the blue blimp traveling all the way up the level, with gooballs riding on it, and many obstacles in the way, for example, quickly blowing up some geometry with a Sticky Bomb before the blimp comes in contact with the geometry. However, I'm not sure if this is possible or not, because in the original level, there's lots of different pathways that I'm doubting we can code the blimp to follow or not. Like in a zig zag pathway for example

Jim2102 wrote:
Wow I'm starting to think that you guys don't like my levels lol XD

I made an updated version of Climbing with more gooballs, spikes (& less grass), and changed the bg to a brighter yellow bg. Hopefully there won't be any critique with this new version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6vuZewM9LS9VWlEVWN4dllCcDg/view

Also, I have an idea for a blue blimp level. When gooey goo mentioned the Down&Out level by Peter B, I thought of making a similar level, but with the blue blimp traveling all the way up the level, with gooballs riding on it, and many obstacles in the way, for example, quickly blowing up some geometry with a Sticky Bomb before the blimp comes in contact with the geometry. However, I'm not sure if this is possible or not, because in the original level, there's lots of different pathways that I'm doubting we can code the blimp to follow or not. Like in a zig zag pathway for example

Personally, I'd like to think that your levels need just a "little" bit of tweaking Wink Besides, nobody started out perfect. One of the first levels I made was kind of meh.

Also, I think your idea could be possible. Just know that it's already difficult to do vertical scrolling. However, your idea is still possible using horizontal scrolling. There might also be a workaround for vertical scrolling, so I'll think about that as well.

EDIT: Jim, you were so close to making the level good. When I said add some spikes, I meant all across the walls, like straight up. I also changed the level so the grass was greener. You'll just have to travel to my imgur page. Also, although it might not look as good, it'd be nice if the pipe was centered. Apologise for all this criticism, since it may be tiring to hear. However, I bet there will be a day where you will make an awesome level. Just keep practicing Wink

I made goomods.

Jim2102, I'm just gonna say that the OCD was WAY too easy. You should either get rid of some goo balls, or change the OCD to 90 goo balls or something.

I'm gonna work on the next stage, then. Anyone have any ideas or art I can use?

My art for my idea of a first level! NO COPYING!

http://imgur.com/gallery/H4n3j

I like how everybody has a structure for their profile. I guess mine could count (and if anybody wants the shown mod, I'll upload it).

Also, nice level idea Sampson!

I made goomods.