Main Character

25 replies [Last post]

We are probably going to allow some customization for the user, but do we want to specify anything? Name? Design? Gender?

Or are all those things going to be customizable?

maybe they have an option to start out as a boy or girl.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe one of these:
-------------------------------------
1.they can be able to design their character at first, with around 75 combos.
2.they have around 8 characters to choose from, 4 boy, 4 girl.
3. they have two choices: one a boy, one a girl.

-_-

I think #1, kind of like Runescape. You can change the individual bits of your character, and your name.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

voting time!
just post 1, 2,or 3.

-_-

Erm, a variation of 1, at least. We should definitely allow customization options at the beginning. Later, clothing and such can be worn.

OH! IDEA! If we do get ahold of the Steamworks API, maybe we could use the new inventory-trading system.

YES! Definitely!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Not sure what that is...the trading system in Steam, like for TF2 across other games? Or something entirely different?

Anyway

YES we want the play to choose a name.
Do not know about gender. Maybe. Probably. Lets stick with male for now, and add female later.
I think we should have character design to be customize able.

No, customization would be great. Maybe eventually, we can make some sort of Multiplayer game out of it. Duh, the player is choosing. Female is also something we should have since the beginning.

Yes.

Also, a co-op or MMO mode would be nice later. For now, why not make a Player class, so that we could extend to multiplayer later without too much recoding?

I think something like the character designing in Spiral Knights is good. Not too many choices, but you can make a fairly unique character, and customize them more later on when you buy stuff.

And I think gender and name should be user-decided.

Name, obvoiusly. Smile

Then people in the game can refer to you by name.

Yup. As long as we don't plan to do actual voice acting (like in Fallout 3 when they call you "the guy from Vault 101"), that'll be a piece of cake.

Gosh, no voice acting, please..

Maybe some, but not for the PC.

Maybe, but only for stuff like grunts or mumbling or whatever.

I would have included that under the category of sounds. Tongue

Or like in Valve's single-player games, the PC never says anything except "Ow!"

I've been experimenting with Foley sounds, and there are some that would be important but easy. For example, unsheathing a sword.

or in the game my little sister plays, lego. i watched her and they only make grunts and stuff.

-_-

I don't think we should have any voice at all, even grunts. I don't think it fits.

yeah. i don't think it should have grunts or be a mmog either.

-_-

mmog?

Maybe. It depends on what we do. Sound effects may have some source of vocal modulation.

Massive Multiplayer Online (Role Playing) Game

I was thinking of mmo(rp)g, but just wanted to make sure.

yeah, forgot the rp.

M.assively
M.ulti-player
O.nline
R.ole
P.laying
G.ame

-_-

Hey, I was thinking, when does the player choose their name? Of course we could include it during character creation, but my current story (see Story thread for link) has a bit where a guy asks for the player's name, then we could make a name-creation screen pop up.

What do you guys think?

As part of a dialog tree? Good idea.