Terms and names

45 replies [Last post]

I think we should have some sort of object or building save your data. Maybe a little flag or something that you could save with by doing something or walking by it.

We could say that at every inn (or motel or whatever), you can ask to save at the registering desk.

They should be fairly frequent, one at each town, so I think it'd fit well.

Hmm. Dragon Quest IX's saving was actually an "Adventure Log" that all churches had. In the beginning, when you were still an angel and nobody could see you, you could walk up to the altar and write it yourself. I think we should have something similar, maybe a journal. Like, in inns, you could record your deeds in the journal by asking the innkeeper to record it. Later on, maybe, there might be an item, like a rare pen, that allows you to do a full save anywhere, but only once. This would be opportune for players trying to fight bosses that are far from towns.

Great idea. The journal thing is cool, maybe we can also use it to keep track of the story? Like in Professor Layton, whenever something significant happens a new entry appears in the journal.
That way, people who haven't played for ages can easily remember where they're up to and what they're supposed to be doing.

A story prompt might be nice. However far you are in the story, the prompt would change. Viewing the prompt would be as simple as pressing a button.

Yeah. A little journal icon in the top right corner or something.

Talking about story, I really need to get onto that... I haven't even finished the whole introduction bit yet Tongue

Kirdneh's idea could get abused too easily to transport stuff instantly.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Don't you mean my idea, where a quick save saves your stats and items, but not your location? Or are you talking about something else?

Oh. Oops. Yes.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yeah, I think quick-saving should save everything, but once you load it you lose it.

Real saving should be done with the journal idea. That brainchild sounds like it would work great. After adventurous cut-scenes, the user could be prompted something like: "Record your deeds and actions in the journal?"

Yeah, but how would quick saving work? It would be wicked if we could find a similarly "logical" way to quick save.

Holy moly, did I just say "wicked"?

How about you can put a "sticky note" in the journal to remind you of what you were doing, but it would go away once you restored the save. (quick-saving)

how about auto-save at certain points, like when you get past a certain part?
then if the game shuts down, it opens the game at the last auto-save point.

@puggsoy: the last time i heard someone say "wicked" in that context was a few years ago in the movie harry potter, when Ron sees Harry's scar.

-_-

We're talking about quick-saving.

And the game should only save when the user wants it to save, so the game can't be blamed.

I agree with Red. Both on the "sticky note quick-save" and the "no auto-saving".