Terms and names

45 replies [Last post]

to not get terms confused.
Engine: thing the game runs on
Aurorium Crystal:money
player:user who buys the game and plays it
character:person in game. not to be confused with player. players are real, characters are virtual.
Window: the box that the game is in. it is a certain size, items from game can not go out of it, and it has the minimize button and the close button on it.
Menus: shortcuts: inventory, etc.
Main: what you first see when you load the game.
Options: res, exit, controls, etc.
off button: do I REALLY need to define this?

________________________________________________________________________________
i'll update these as we go along. it doesn't make sense yet, but it will help us later on.

-_-

Aurorium Crystal for money.

Char: An unsigned integer value representing an ASCII code.
Char: Burn to a crisp.
Character: See "Char".
Character: The avatar in the game.
Struct: A set of linked variables in a C or C++ program.
Structk: Hit. When one is struck by lightning, they become a conductor.
Actor: One who acts a part in a play.
Actor: An NPC in interactive fiction.
Engine: The program that runs the game.
Engine: A device for converting fuel into linear or rotational motion, usually through combustion.
Engineer: One who drives an engine.
Engineer: One who designs stuff.
Engineer: One who builds stuff designed by an engineer.
Conductor: One who helps the engineer.
Conductor: One who leads an orchestra.
Conductor: Something that allows energy to pass through it. Often connected to an engine.
Signed: In sign language.
Signed: Using one bit to indicate sign.
Unsigned: Not signed.
Unsigned: Not signed.
Unsigned: Not indicated by signs.
Sign: A label.
Sign: Positive or negative.
Sine: Opposite over hypoteneuse.
Cosine: Adjacent over hypoteneuse.
Cousin: Parent's sibling's child.

Confused yet? Tongue

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

You forgot something.

Engineer:

Wink

Hm?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

James, that can't be used here.

what was that?

anyways, i'll change the money.

-_-

any more terms?

-_-

Term: How long someone is President, Prime Minister, etc.
Term: A word that is used under various contexts to mean different things
Terms: Used in "Terms and Conditions" to mean a bunch of legal jargon
Terminal: Generally used of fatal illnesses.
Terminal: A program or text box for typing commands that can be interpreted by an operating system or program

For Terminal, you should have at least mentioned ASCII.

Is this necessary? Maybe.

Talkin' like Doctor Toadley! (See second line in Trivia section.)

@James: Whenever I see that I strongly hope that Valve releases the Source Movie Maker soon and curse them for accidentally temporarily letting people experience its awesomeness.

Terminal: An electrical conductor that you can attach another electrical conductor to.
Terminal: A system font on Windows and Linux.
Terminal: Having to do with an end or finalization.
Terminal: At a limit. (eg, terminal velocity)

sigh...
any definitions that we need to cover? not with a blanket or whatever, but that we need to clarify in the making of this game?

-_-

puggsoy wrote:
Is this necessary? Maybe.

Talkin' like Doctor Toadley! (See second line in Trivia section.)

@James: Whenever I see that I strongly hope that Valve releases the Source Movie Maker soon and curse them for accidentally temporarily letting people experience its awesomeness.

you know that that guy from adventure time talks like him.
what time is it? adventure time!

any ways...

it doesn't seem useful now, but it will, oh yes it will... mwahahaha.....

We need definitions for "menu". there are so many of them, and we need definitions.
so...
I want YOU to give me defintions.
http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!BbTldd!BWk~$(KGrHqIH-CQEqwonHvmBBKvZC3G3lw~~_35.JPG

-_-

I think of the menu as the one that appears when you pause the game (Esc key or whatever).

Whenever I talk about the menu on this site I'm referring to the main options/play/quit thing you view at the start of the game. I'm planning on making this 'base.xml' in our game.

But I'm sure we'll have a similar menu for when we pause the game as well. We can refer to them as the "main menu" and "pause menu". And when you just say "menu", we will assume you mean the main menu (unless the discussion is clearly about pausing).

Yep.

Any menus I missed?

-_-

You messed up on the menu content, I think. We should have simple menus, like for the in-game one: shortcuts, options, main. Especially since I think we'll have auto-saving, amirite?

We will? I was thinking save points, but probably because I've been playing a lot of M&L: Bowser's Inside Story.

I think since this is an RPG, we should actually have save points. In DQIX, every church could be used to save (confessions lol). Let's have something that will blend in easily like that.

How about system? If you don't like it, I'll change it to options.

-_-

Save points are a good idea in an RPG imo. I didn't realize Dragon's Quest did that. That sounds cool. Smile

anybody like sytem menu? or Options?

-_-

Just Options. Volume, quality, etc. But I don't think we'll need separate tabs or menus for video options, audio options, and so forth.

How about Save Points, plus Quick Save like in NSMBW?

Quick Save lets you leave your game for a while, but you can only restore to it once. Basically a long-term pause.

You can choose between auto save and manual save, maybe?

-_-

Dragon Quest IX also had quick-saving. In your walking-around menu, you could quick save and it would return to the title screen. Your DS could then be turned off and everything, except when you turned the game back on, it would load the quick save and you would lose the save. Just like NSMBWii. We should have save points, definitely, and probably quick-saving?

Hmm... we could have something like that.

As an alternative, we could have a quick save that saves all of your stats, money, items, etc. But your location is still the same as your previous "actual" save.

How about it automatically saves every time you go to another area, finish a quest, or exit the game? Basically every time you do something.

-_-

We can do that. But then it'll be a quick save, not proper save, of course.