GooTool for Wii --> Actually Possible

79 replies [Last post]

If anything in the java programming for Gootool happens to be translatable to C/C++, (most likely) then the code can be compiled into a wii application.

*NOTE: The Wii Homebrew Applications are not officially supported by Nintendo. You will need to enable homebrew through a computer with an SD card input/output, an SD card, and a wii.

I have been studying wii-programming for the past month now and it turns out to be a simple C application. Graphics/Buttons can be added through simple h libraries and can be altered into a wii executable using a simple windows program.

THIS IS EASIER THAN IT SEEMS!!!

If davidc or any other interested developer could translate some of the code for gootool into C-based code, and if I compile it, then gootool MAY ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO RUN ON A WII!!!

Please note once again that this is unofficial and unsupported by Nintendo. I was simply reading the FAQ of GooTool and I came across the set for wii. It said that if any serious wii-hackers were interested, it would be appreciated. I thought to myself, "Wait a minute! That's me!" So here I am.

Awaiting replys...

sounds cool!

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

Yea, but will it work with the demo version? (I would LOVE to use the INFINITIVE WINDOWS FREEZER!!!)

I don't know. Nobody who knows anything about code-conversion has replied to this post...yet Wink

i dont either

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

Hey, wait a minute, Where will it be when it happens? Will it be a channel? Will it be something built INTO a channel, or maybe just a cd? I think it's gonna have to be on the SD card though.(You can't download stuff on the wii via internet channel, so your gonna have to put all of it on a cpu SD.)

files on a sd card i think

I'm the only one here who knows anything about wii file storage???

*Sigh...

It will be an app for use with the special hacking channel, The Homebrew Channel. Getting The Homebrew Channel will be up to you. But without it, the only methods to run an unofficial app for wii is to use unofficial means of hacking (such as using special hacked saves on the SD card menu). I'll go into more detail if anybody needs/wants to know how to run homebrew on their wii.

EDIT: Homebrew for wii includes but is not limited to: watching dvds, playing music, applying unofficial cheats to games (I love being able to fly everywhere I want to in Super Mario Galaxy), playing unofficial games made by wii-hackers, creating unofficial software on the wii, and of course (this is obviously not intended) playing games from the wii shop channel for free.

cool!

AWESOME!!! (but isn't that Illegal?)

Nope, Nintendo's view is that as long as you bourght the console you can do any thing you want with it.

iGoo

not illegal, just not suggested by nintendo.

unles you are pirating games... that would be illegal.

- I'm A Banana!

Yeah. Goofan has the right idea. It's all NOT illegal at all...except for the free games of course (considered pirating)

The rest of the hacking priveleges are 100% free/legit/legal!!!

EDIT: Goofan I love your signature! It doesn't make any sense whatsoever but along with your picture it is SOO funny!

BTW: This may shock you, but...I'm a banana too!

IT'S PEANUT-BUTTER-JELLY-TIME OR SOMETHING!!!

btw: I'M A BANANA 3! Tongue

what james said

BANANA TIME

edit: im a...um..........................................................................................LEMON!

I'm a BANANA PHONE!

Crazeh man!

I HEARD THAT FROM MY BROTHER!!! He said somebody at his school was saying it and he was like "wat da ****" Smile

BANANA PHONES!!!

Converting GooTool itself would be quite a chore, in particular the whole GUI would need to be rewritten.

I envisaged that it might work easier by running GooTool on a PC, "compiling" your own World of Goo onto a USB stick that you then run on the Wii. Could you then run it using the homebrew channel?

GooTool already has the beginnings of support for 'retargettable output', so instead of the local filesystem, the iPhone build targets over ssh; the Wii build could target a USB stick.

Other things that would need figuring out are the file layout and encryption format.

He's got a point, but actually don't you HAVE to compile it on the computer anyway?
Wii's don't allow people to download their own software for safety reasons, so if you managed to get gootool on the wii without compiling first, then You won't be able to play any levels that are custom built, right?

davidc wrote:
Converting GooTool itself would be quite a chore, in particular the whole GUI would need to be rewritten.

I envisaged that it might work easier by running GooTool on a PC, "compiling" your own World of Goo onto a USB stick that you then run on the Wii. Could you then run it using the homebrew channel?

GooTool already has the beginnings of support for 'retargettable output', so instead of the local filesystem, the iPhone build targets over ssh; the Wii build could target a USB stick.

Other things that would need figuring out are the file layout and encryption format.

You're right about the GUI. The wii version will need new buttons, text, etc.

To the second paragraph: Wiis don't run windows executable files (.exe), they can run their own though (.dol, .elf). These executables can be compiled under C code.

To the third paragraph: Wiis can target executable files through USB, SD, SDgecko (a special hack-sd port through a gamecube controller port), and SMB file share.

I could run the process of creating a GUI, and all anybody else would need to do is give me the code in C.

James wrote:
He's got a point, but actually don't you HAVE to compile it on the computer anyway?
Wii's don't allow people to download their own software for safety reasons, so if you managed to get gootool on the wii without compiling first, then You won't be able to play any levels that are custom built, right?

You don't have to download anything as long as you have either a USB drive, SD card, OR SMB server. You simply put the files to run on the wii FROM the computer ONTO one of the above.

this is confusing......

Don't worry. It's as simple as dragging & dropping some files on the computer and pressing a few buttons on your wii! Laughing out loud

It wouldn't be a problem if the wii had a windows emulator or something like that.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Well, I'd consider THAT a problem. Tongue

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

this webpage claims to convert java to c++
http://www.euclideanspace.com/software/language/xes/userGuide/convert/ja...
I don't know how well it works though, I just looked on google...

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

Once again, I don't have the java source code as I don't know anyone besides davidc who has it...

yes, It will be a application in The Homebrew Channel,
BUT you can make a forwarder channel(like a shortcut, so you will still need The Homebrew Channel)

(ps: if somebody is able to convert gootool into a homebrew app, upload it to homebrewbrowser)

pss: sorry for my bad English

i was almost kicked out off school cause i downloaded WoG and GooTool

tinusz4.hyves.nl

I WILL upload it to the homebrew browser. Actually, it can't be uploaded. You have to give a download link to the creater, Teknical, on his website and he will add it. I don't know if I will make a WAD channel for it or not...

I STILL need the java source code before anything magical can happen...

would a decompiler work? or would that be against gootool's TOS?

98% of the teen population believes those "98% of ... if you are one of the 2% who don't copy this into your sig" sigs. copy and paste this into your sig if you are one of the 2% who don't believe them.
-madaco

I'm not even sure if a java decompiler exists...

this website has the old version of a comersial one. the old version if freeware
again, I didnt actually try this, just looked on google.
http://dj.navexpress.com/

-madaco