pers2.data file deleted ://

23 replies [Last post]

Hello, i tryed to load my 3rd Profile to the Goo Tool but i dont see it on my list, so i decided to delete pers2.data becouse i think that the file create automatcly when game restarten but no...
Now i dont have the file pers2.data and cant load any profile to Goo Tool Sad
And the joke is i have the same game status that befoer the deletion oO

You're probably looking for the wrong pers2.dat. Different engine versions store profiles in different places.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

I look for it in all places where it can be but i dont find it, and when i make computer search they dont find it too, please help :/

First, what version of WoG are you using?

I am using version hmmm, where can i check it?

If your gootool can't find your profile, then make sure that any extra folders ex. "My personel belongingz Smile " that you put in there are moved to the desktop in case any thing goes wrong, as well as any custom balls/levels/etc. you made that wasn't published on goofans yet, just in case gootool deletes it when you locate your profile. After any folders you really want to back up have been moved to the desktop, go to gootool and when it asks to create CUSTOM WORLD OF GOO (because the folder is already on the desktop), locate the folder and say yes when it says "but this folder has stuff in it!". Gootool should now remember where the folder is unless you move it. Feel free to move your junk back in the folder and launch custom world of goo.

I did what you say me, now all folders like WoG, Costum WoG & Goo Tool are on the deskopt, but Goo Tool cant find any profile it now to, becouse the file is not creating, but i dont understand where my game progress save if no in pers2.dat

Someone have other sugestions, please?

Btw. I build today a tower and i have a bug window witch the name "Fatal Error!"
And witch the code:

Exception: Access Violation (code 0xc0000005) at address 0040BC95 in thread B98
Module: WorldOfGoo.exe
Logical Address: 0001:0000AC95

16C3FB34 0040BC95 0001:0000AC95 WorldOfGoo.exe
Params: 0F1A1948 16C3FB80 16C3FB64 16C3FB90

StackWalk failed (error 299)

EAX:00000001 EBX:0F1A1948 ECX:00000000 EDX:0003624C ESI:16C3FB90 EDI:00000005
EIP:0040BC95 ESP:16C3FAC8  EBP:16C3FB34
CS:001B SS:0023 DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
Flags:00010202

Windows Ver: NT 6.0 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
DDraw Ver: 
DSound Ver: 

Product: Product
Version: 
Time Loaded: 02:22:27
Fullscreen: No
Primary ThreadId: 102C

And a button "Close Now"
What is it?

Ah, the general stackwalk error. Yep, this can be caused by a BUNCH of things...
Ok, for starters:
-Where did you get WOG? A store, Steam, 2dBoy's website?
-Could GooTool find where your profile was before you moved everything to your desktop?
-What version of Windows ( Mac? Linux? ) are you using?

WOG always stores your game data in a pers2.dat file someplace, so I think GMMan is right, you probably deleted an old version.

If you haven't downloaded the WOG patch, than you are probably using an old version of WOG that may have troubles with GooTool and Woogle.

I bought WoG in a Polish PC magazine named CD ACTION.
No Goo Tool cant find it :/
Im a using Windows Vista

What i should do to make the pers2.dat, download patch? ( Where i can do it? )
I need this file becouse i want play WoG on my Main PC, now im playing on my notebook, im waiting for you answer Smile

If you can play fine without getting pers2.dat from somewhere, that means that the file already exists. Tell us, do you still have your progress on your main computer?

Edit: Might as well tell you where the files are.
On the older engine, the file is at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo\pers2.dat (if you're using Vista, C:\AppData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo\pers2.dat)
On the newer engine, the file is at C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo\pers2.dat (On Vista: C:\Users\yourusername\Local \AppData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo\pers2.dat or something like that, I'm not sure because I don't have a readily accessible computer with Vista)

Make sure you show hidden files. In Windows Explorer, press Alt, then click Tools -> Folder Options... (might be under View in Vista), View tab, Show hidden file and folders, OK.

My Computer show hidden files but i dont find it, i know where the files should be becouse i deleted they, but now the file are not creating automaticly is this normal, what i can do now, mayby installing patch may help?
Im Playing now on Notebook and i no have acces to my main pc at the moment so i can not check this, but on my Notebook the game progress is still normal and when i play the game progress save but i dont know where it save, becouse im 100% sure pers2.data is deleted.

Well, you'll have to tell us what operating systems you are using first. What's on your notebook? What's on your main PC?

If you still have your game progress, then the pers2.dat that your version of WoG uses has not been deleted. When you get back on to your main PC, look through the above-mentioned folders and see if the file is there.

But on my main pc *windows xp WoG is no installed now, i only play on my notebook *windows vista and i deleted the file on the Notebook, and now im trying to recover it, and im playing with no cd. Please Help.

I must find this file to play on the same game progres that is on Notebook on My Main Pc.

Oh. I thought you said something about playing WoG on your main PC. I must have misunderstood.

So, what you really want to do is copy the profile from your notebook to your main PC. You could do it with GooTool, but it can't find your profile. So now you're hunting for your profile manually. That's the problem, right?

You'll need to look in the above-mentioned folders for your pers2.dat file (The one with AppData or the Users folder). A quick trick: on your Vista system (the notebook) press Windows-R (which is the Windows key and R key together; the Windows key is usually between the left Ctrl and Alt keys). Enter %localappdata% into the box and press Enter. Then look for a 2DBoy folder. If found, open it and open the WorldOfGoo folder under that. You should see a pers2.dat file. If you can't find it, then go to C:\AppData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo folder and look for pers2.dat there. That's really the only places the file can be.

I'll tell you the next step when you find the file.

I swear you there are no 2Dboy Folder witch the pers2.dat file inside, i hunt it in %localappdata%, and in C:\AppData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo cant find in disc C but i found this: C:\Username\Patryk\AppData\ there are not the file pers2.dat to.
Mayby becouse i deleted it, but its inposible to save in another file then pers2.dat or? This file must be in my Pc or The Universum will Crash! But Where?

Well, I'm really out of ideas where the file is. Let's move on to more advanced file searching. Download Process Monitor, unzip and run the program. Set up the filters as in the following screenshot:

http://img51.imageshack.us/i/screenshot002du.jpg/

Then, run World of Goo and then close it. In Process Explorer, you should be able to find your profile path. It's after the game finishes loading some DLLs, as depicted in the following screenshot. This is the foolproof solution for finding your profile path.

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/screenshot003zg.jpg/

(In case you didn't quite understand the %localappdata% thing: it's not in that folder, but in the 2DBoy\WorldOfGoo folder under %localappdata%.)

Why don't you just use the windows search bar, type in the search box "pers2.dat", and then select "My computer" for it to search in, and then click the search button?

MyOwnGoo wrote:
I look for it in all places where it can be but i dont find it, and when i make computer search they dont find it too, please help :/

Tried that already.

Update: tried it with Windows Search for XP (addon, not original) and all it returned were my source code for WoG Portable.

Ohh... i found it! a wonder! i thank you so much GMMan, thanks, thanks Smile \o/ Smile

OCD!

The file was in
C:\Users\patryk\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo\pers2.dat

Hmm... Never thought it was necessary for Vista to put ProgramData files in a VirtualStore. Well, the rest becomes pretty simple. You can either point GooTool there and upload your profile, and then install WoG and GooTool on your main PC, restoring the profile with GooTool after you run WoG once, or you can directly copy the file to your main PC into the above mentioned directory (the All Users one).

Looking at your profile path, you seem to be running an older version of WoG. Go to here to download the patch. Your profile will automatically be copied over to the new engine's profile location after you run the new WoG.

I have the same problem, cant find pers2.dat anywhere, i recently got my new comp with windows 7 so u guys with windows 7 can tell me where the file is? I really cant find it and i want to get my tower higher...

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Prior to version 1.10 it was stored in %ProgramData%, e.g. C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

From version 1.10 it is stored in the user's profile under %LOCALAPPDATA%, e.g. C:\Users\david\AppData\Local\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Man thank u soo much damn man u saved me frustrations all these days finding it Tnx once more...

PAVKE for President !!!!!

If people would just dig around their hard drive a little more...
Windows 6.x make finding user profile related files tricky when UAC is involved.