Running WOG from Linux

18 replies [Last post]

I just recently loaded Linux on my computer and downloaded the demo version of WOG to go along with. Of course, I want to play more than just the first chapter, and didn't want to buy the full version a second time (Being the tightwad that I am). I copied all the lower-level directories from my Windows installation to my Linux installation, and now every level crashes after I click the "continue" lever for the first time. WOG runs better in Windows for me and this isn't a really big problem or anything, but does anyone know what causes this? I thought the .xml.bin encryption for Windows was the same as for Linux.

Why don't you just click the link you got the first time? It holds versions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

I don't know the answer to your problem, it should work OK if you did it correctly, according to Soultaker

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

I'm sorry, I don't exactly know what you mean. Do you mean to click the button that appears in Chapter 2 that tells you to buy the full game?

Edit: Do you mean the link when I first bought the game from 2dBoy? I bought it from a store.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

I think he meant the link from your email confirmation. Of course, if you bought it from a store, that doesn't work for you...

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Nope.
If neither of you know the answer, that's fine. WOG runs a little faster in Windows, anyway.

Wait... Is the Linux demo version 1.40? I think that version is known to have problems.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

Also, I believe some store versions have DRM, so that could make them incompatible.

Anyway here's the guide to copying Windows over the Linux demo, this is all I know though: http://goofans.com/faq/world-of-goo/getting-world-of-goo/it-possible-pla...

Weird...

My copy of World of Goo (store-bought) says compatible with windows, mac, AND linux!

Maybe that's just mine...? (it was $20)

Thanks, Mr. Croft. I'll try that.
Enchanter49: Yeah, I bought WOG when it was $15 at Target. It was a while ago, so maybe 2DBoy hadn't completed the Linux version yet.

oh wow I didn't think of that. {slaps forehead...again}

LOLz

PS GooMaker is finally correctly coded, so now it can create the xmls without user-editing!!! I'll post the new version in a day or two...or maybe even today! Depends when I can finish all the technical stuff like publishing and changing the icon and finishing the solution...and of course...testing.

BTW This version of GooMaker no longer requires .NET Framework 4!!! It now works with version 3 which most versions of windows happen to have! (xp, vista, 7) It also will NOT need to be installed this time! It comes with a new, sleek GUI that doesn't need to be installed into a folder! It's just one file this time, an exe.

Enchanter49: Sweet!

And thanks, Mr. Croft. I got it working great, now.

Lol,how the hell do we make every topic off-topic?(LOLZ)

Crazeh man!

Pretty easily, it seems.

Yeah...maybe it has something to do with me...?

I'm sorry, but I'm just so excited about the working version of GooMaker.

No problem. So are we! Smile

lol

Yeah most topics usually have at least 1 thing that is different from the original topic. Smile

yeah i guess your right...well...this is more like 20 things...

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Indeed. Closing the topic now. Smile

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment