What you would like in a program

56 replies [Last post]

I know that some people know, but I'm creating this topic so that suggestions can be thrown (*hypothetically, of course*) at me.

World of Goo Level Master

By Enchanter49

This program is basically another level editor for World of Goo. It is specifically designed for the player, rather than the maker. You won't need to be a master game programmer to know how to use this tool! The GUI is specifically designed for people who have played the game, but have not made levels.

As for those who are going to use it after WoG Editor, I am including a translations form to show you what functions relate to those of WoG Editor (this will probably come in handy). Also, if you've read my other posts on my tutorial (Click Here), then you will know how much progress I'm making with it.

LATEST SCREENSHOT

(updated regularly)

With the screenshot above, please feel free to make suggestions on the latest version regarding what you find appealing, or what needs improvement. I will also keep you updated with my progress (on this topic) as much as I can.

To-Do List
  1. Make the forms for all level object additions 06%
  2. Create the Preview 42%
  3. Fix the bugs on the "Encrypt" and "Decrypt" functions 100%
  4. Add the long-awaited "translations" form for people who are switching programs from WoG Editor to World of Goo Level Master (it seems like people will be needing this...) 04%
  5. Post BETA versions (once it's stable) 01%
  6. Publish the final version on goofans.com! 00%

Thank you for your time, and...

Please Reply

DOWNLOADS

1.First BETA - GUI Test () DOWNLOAD

Let's see... A good GUI is a must. I think having the tools laid out as in Google SketchUp would be good. Also, the game elements should be drag and drop, but they must also have ways to adjust every minute detail possible. Tweening would be useful (mainly for movies and such).

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

GMMan wrote:
Let's see... A good GUI is a must. I think having the tools laid out as in Google SketchUp would be good. Also, the game elements should be drag and drop, but they must also have ways to adjust every minute detail possible. Tweening would be useful (mainly for movies and such).

First of all, thank you for your comment.

Secondly, this is what I was thinking: Once you place objects with your mouse with the appropriate button pressed along with your starting details, (ex. For the Gooball addition button, it opens a form asking what type of ball you'd want along with whether or not it's sleeping, and the depth) you can right-click an object and change advanced properties (full properties changes).

I've fixed the decrypt/encrypt bugs completely! w00t!

I've also added a feature that enables you to encrypt/decrypt any file just like GooTool.

I have to say that you are getting this program done a little fast! (maybe faster!)
@ goomaster: Yes, I can say it is indeed cool.(who doesn't?)And to your sig, It doesn't matter, just as long as we got KFC!!!

James wrote:
I have to say that you are getting this program done a little fast! (maybe faster!)
@ goomaster: Yes, I can say it is indeed cool.(who doesn't?)And to your sig, It doesn't matter, just as long as we got KFC!!!

If you are going to include ANYTHING off-topic in this topic, you will have to include a little more information ABOUT the topic in order to give a good impression. Otherwise, shame on you! Angry

Also, it does seem as if I am going at a fast pace. However, I am only working on the things that I know how to do FIRST, so that I can post beta versions earlier.

I think I'm maybe a week or more away from releasing a beta version.

I'm close to revealing the first version. NOW is the time for people to give last-minute suggestions!

Any chance of an easy ball maker/editor?

Enchanter49 wrote:
I'm close to revealing the first version. NOW is the time for people to give last-minute suggestions!

Easter eggs? Just a thought. Or is it too early?

GMMan wrote:
Enchanter49 wrote:

Easter eggs are simply user-additions. I won't make any special features for easter eggs, as they are just like all the other features.

Any other ideas?

@James: No, this is specifically a level creation engine. Nothing more or less.

Any other ideas?

Enchanter49 wrote:
GMMan wrote:
Enchanter49 wrote:

Easter eggs are simply user-additions. I won't make any special features for easter eggs, as they are just like all the other features.

Any other ideas?

@James: No, this is specifically a level creation engine. Nothing more or less.

Any other ideas?

What I mean is easter eggs for the level creator, not the levels.

nah, people would have 2 find them, and thta could take a while...

James wrote:

But that would add to the fun. That's why there are easter eggs. It's not for the lazy people.

GMMan wrote:
James wrote:

But that would add to the fun. That's why there are easter eggs. It's not for the lazy people.

This is more or less a utility rather than a mini-game. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Any other ideas?

Once a level is complete, will there be a "convert to goomod" facility? and looking even further ahead, "publish goomod to wogfans" facility?

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

Yeah, that's a good idea! If you can call your GooMaker program from within WOG Level Master to automatically create a goomod for you, that would be so sweet!!

Easter eggs would be cool (I love love games/programs with Easter Eggs!), but the whole point of them is that you don't know they're there until someone tells you (or you figure out for yourself), and since it was mentioned already, that kinda gives it away...

How about open sourcing it? I was going to open-source WoG Portable, but only after I create the final version (which I still haven't gotten to, after all this time :shame: ). If you open-source from the start it would be easier for people to point out problems and give feature requests.

P. S. If this comes out do I have to add support for it into WoG Portable? Oh man.

Thank you all for replying!

@ukpetd: This seems like a good function for GooTool to have. This is a Level Editor, and will not include functions beyond that. This is the last time I am going to say this.

@GMMan: The source could be something I imply on people after the first version for those who'd wish to learn GOO in the style of VB. I don't think you will need to include it in WoG-Portable (Nice program, BTW. I gave it to my friends and they all use it to play WoG at school. Tongue). I, myself just added WoGedit to the folder and created a shortcut to it.

Hmm, Enchanter, you've just inspired a new feature for WoG Portable. I should go and add an "open mode" where you are free to run any program that requires the profiles, and then close WoG Portable to copy everything back. Though I don't exactly think there are any programs out there that need to use the profiles other than GooTool. Maybe I'll write the code but not include it into the program until such a time that it is actually needed...

GMMan wrote:
Hmm, Enchanter, you've just inspired a new feature for WoG Portable. I should go and add an "open mode" where you are free to run any program that requires the profiles, and then close WoG Portable to copy everything back. Though I don't exactly think there are any programs out there that need to use the profiles other than GooTool. Maybe I'll write the code but not include it into the program until such a time that it is actually needed...

Wow, you are welcome! Innocent

Actually, if anybody wants me to, I guess I CAN write a few more features for the program such as profile-related data. After the release version, do you want to include it as a function in WoG-Portable?

Alright, but in terms of the topic, I have an announcement to make:

The first BETA version of WoG Level Master comes out either today or tomorrow, depending if I can get to getting rid of buggy fixtures. This version will not have the level-view (display of current level objects). It WILL have the ball-addition form, the resource-addition form, encrypt/decrypt functions, and the main GUI.

So...can we still make lvls?

James wrote:
So...can we still make lvls?

Not in the beta version, no.

This will be a basic preview of the GUI. Nothing more. When I find out how to implement more features, they will appear. I promise you that.

Looking forward to it. Still remember about GooMaker? Bang!

I am about to post the first BETA version (GUI-test).

Alright, the GUI Test is posted. The download link is on the main post.

Downloaded and installed OK. Took regulation 3 attempts to OK on WoG folder before it fired up. Good job I read the text file re:known problems. No great functionality to test. Looks (unsurprisingly)like your screen shot. It gave error about an hour after closing! "Has met a problem and has to close". I thought it was closed. You may need to check that the closure is complete.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

Same problem happened here Big smile

Crazeh man!

weird...

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

Yes. As I told you before, this was a GUI Test. I know that those problems are there.

Even after giving the full closure command, it appears that some forms remain open. Smile I believe that there is a simple way to fix this...

The WoG-Directory-Finder is a little buggy. I know that: a)after selecting the correct folder, the OK button needs to be pressed 3 times b)to close it, press the close button and/or cancel button 2 times

Weird, huh? Laughing out loud

Alright...

1. Don't use MEGAUPLOAD, but MediaFire instead (no waiting time and it's faster)
2. Instead of a installer, use Zip files for the preview editions
3. Make your filename simpler and without spaces (it's a web thing)
4. Prompt for the directory just once (single variable should do). Even better, auto-detect the directory
5. Try to use only one programming language -- either Python or Visual Studio. You're more likely to encounter problems if you combine different languages.
6. Using an external program to do en/decrypting is redundant
7. Build your support files into the main executable if you can, if it's small.

(Stuff that comes from a programming mind is sure different, isn't it...)

6. Using an external program to do en/decrypting is redundant.

Well, for a beta version, this is understandable. I personally don't have any clue how en/decrypting works, and it'll probably take a lot of effort on Enchanter's behalf to be able to integrate this into his own program...

1. Don't use MEGAUPLOAD, but MediaFire instead (no waiting time and it's faster)

..Or email it to me and I'll stick it on my site and post a direct link here. No ads! Smile

Other ones: good points, GMMan.

Whatever. Keep up the good work, Enchanter! Smile