Texture Trouble?

28 replies [Last post]

This thread.. at least to start with... is trying to diagnose a problem on a particular system. I hoping it might reveal some useful "tips" for level designers as to compatability issues.

Anyway....
@TheGooMasters
I'm beginning to think that the problem you are having with the different levels might all be caused by the same thing... not 100% sure what yet... but since the Experimental Levels and Farlands levels were created by completely different people, and I've had both working, no problems, on XP Vista and Win7... seems like it might be a problem "your end".

But I'd like to find out what.

I'm going to concentrate on FarLands #7 initially, because so far as I know no one else has had problems with it... and several people have had different problems with the Experimental Levels.

Couple of things I'd like you to try....
1) Restart your computer This is just in case there's "something funny" going on.
Now try playing FarLands #7
Did it work?

If not.....
Download the png file from this page... http://www.4shared.com/photo/FFxIZuNh/HCBGRNIGHJT2.html
Use the big blue Download Now button... rather than right-clicking the picture.
Save it into your modified WorldofGoo folder under... res/levels/FarLands_L07
It will be replacing an existing file, but go ahead.
Important! Don't run GooTool!
If you've got a shortcut to the modified WorldofGoo exe.. use it.
If not, go through My Computer or Explorer.. go to your modified folder and run WorldofGoo.exe directly.

Try playing FarLands #7....Did it work?

This is not "the end"... but let me know what happened.

Thanks. I will try that right now. But could you help me with my level editor problem (look at YOUR level editor comments)

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

I thought the same as James that it was a depth problem.
Just Double-check that... but then best is if you can make a goomod of the level (as-is) ... upload it somewhere (like 4shared) and post a link.
I'll DL and take a look.

OK so I tried it but it still didnt work. Level 7 is still crashing, as normal (for me, anyway)

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

OK so the depth prob is going to be uploaded pretty soon. Thanks for reccomending that it be uploaded.

Re: Farlands #7
OK... didn't "really" expect that to work... but... try this....
Same again...
Download this file...
http://www.4shared.com/photo/fullsize/9CW5RoTL/_2__HCBGRNIGHJT2.html
put it in the FarLands_L07 folder.. overwriting the previous...
Don't run GooTool!
And try once more.

http://goofans.com/download/level/help-me-glitch

Look at this for the depth glitch

OK. I will put the file in the farlands 7 folder.

Great, so the level works. However the picture is too small for the size of the level background. But the level working is way more important.

Now could you help me with the Experimental Levels Project?????

ANY HELP????????? WHY WONT EXPERIMENTAL LEVEL PROJECT LEVELS WORK

oh yeah and I dont do 4shared

Well, first.... Your Level Glitch....
I should really add a double-check on this in the editor but...
Sometime between creating the level and now you've renamed the level folder....
not by much... in fact all you've done is change the CaSe of 1 letter... but it's enough to give the game trouble. Easiest way to fix it is... rename the folder back.
So change the m of malfunctions back to M so it's MOMMalfunctions that fixes it here.

Doubtful I can do anything about the Experimental levels... as I suspected it looks like a problem / limitation with your system.
In the second test on FarLands, I just halved the size of the biggest graphic, and it worked. Which tells me your system is having some problem with the larger size.

Maybe your graphics card is running out of memory, maybe the drivers need updating... I dunno...
But what I can say is, the same trick won't work with the Experimental Levels.

In Farlands it was just a background image, so it didn't really matter if it was smaller.. it might look weird, but it didn't affect the gameplay any.

With the Experimental Levels the geometry is all set up to exactly match the image, so if we reduce the size it won't match up and you won't be able to tell where the walls and platforms are.

Well, mabe it isnt the graphics that is making the experimental levels crash. I just hope that it isnt the graphics. And as for the level glitch... how could one wrong renameing change everything???? At least I will try to fix it that way... And guess what, it didnt work!!!!!!

Well, what could really be making this prob. is the fact that I have Aquaria and Samorost 2 AND gish from the humble indie bundle as well and Aquaria uses LOTS (and I mean literally THOUSANDS) of images total (TOTAL as in "number of images not number of images made for the game graphics"). Also I do not want to uninstall because what if I lose all of my hard-earned progress???? Or mabe I could uninstall all of the other goomods (I can always upload them again from the downloads folder) and then maybe it will work. Of course it wont erase my progress when uninstalling goomods (and I have quite a few...) OK, so that didn't work. P.S. I downloaded Gish today (and Samorost 2 as well)

Can you tell me your computer configuration it you haven't already, you know, what graphics card you have, processor, memory, motherboard, and what sistem are u using, windows or OS X...

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

OK 1st... the glitch...it's a known problem
Using the goomod you uploaded it does EXACTLY what I expect it to do.. and renaming IS the solution.
Double-check you renamed the folder correctly MOMMalfunctions and try it again...
I forgot to mention you need to restart WooGLE after renaming.

On the graphics thing...
I don't think it's about the total, I think it's about the maximum size of a single image.
FarLands #7, Experimental Levels, Don't Drink and Swim... all use a single "HUGE" (4 Megapixel+) image for the background.
2DBoy appear to have gone to some trouble to limit the maximum size of any image in the original level graphics. When they needed something large it's actually cut up into several smaller images then "jigsawed" back together in the level.
Someone else had a similar problem to you, with his own level. He'd scanned in a drawing and was using as a background (like the Experimental levels). WooGLE was OK with it, but when he tried it in the game it crashed. I recommended he try cutting it up, he did and it worked.
That's when I made the Texture Size Tests, to see if we could figure out some "reasonable" limit for graphics, so they work on all systems.
2DBoy seem to have limited the original graphics to 1024px, and so far as we know they work on every system. These larger images seem to work on "most" systems, but maybe only 1% can't cope.

One more (maybe 2) more tests for you to try.
The Farlands seemed be to fixed by reducing that image in size.
I know the Texture Size tests all worked for you... so now lets see if we can get one of them to NOT work.
Same as before...
Download the file from this page http://www.4shared.com/photo/UnvnBSHb/2400png.html
Save it in the TexFormat5 folder (res/levels/TexFormat5) again it should overwrite something.
Now see if the Test #5 level works

Next version of Experimental Level Project is comming.
Graphics will be cut into smaller parts, and main image of level 7 will be drawn again to avoid problems with rotation. So there is some work to do.
Maybe it will solve problems...

That is good, Goosweek, since now you are working on making the images match the geometry instead of the geometry matching the background. And thanks, Daft, for telling me that I had to restart the level editor.

P.S. Dont Drink and Swim works for me.

OK, so i downloaded that file and put it in the Texture Format Test 5 folder. It still works, but the file mysteriously gains data space and loses the rainbow. It's still 2400X2400 though. (which means that #5 STILL works)

I keep trying to open the level editor but it keeps saying that the application failed to open because the application configuration is incorrect. I use windows XP. I reinstalled the editor and restarted my computer but nothing happened.

@Nalar
Someone else had the same problem recently....
http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/modding/1399

Experimental Level swith reorganised graphics released.

That's great. I'll try it right now.

Thanks SO much!!!!!! It worked!!!!! Smile

YES!!! Those Experimental Levels are hard, fun, and challenging! Great job Goosweek!

Hi GooMasters!
It's me! Smile

I think that this topic should be over. Lock or delete or do whatever you like with it, mods.

TheGooMasters: When a topic is "over," the mods just ignore it, and so does everyone else. It'll vanish into the server by itself. You don't need to tell the mods to do anything, ok? Wink