Merging?

22 replies [Last post]

Hi everyone,

I was working on creating a chapter addin, and ran into a problem...I have to set a specific attribute in existing XML without overriding it.

Is there a way to do this in XSL? Specifically, I'm looking at changing the map attribute of the island root in island1.xml.bin.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I thought you were well aware that chapter stuff is invalid. Please log off or click a new tab to continue browsing. Wink

It's all fairly standard XSL / XPath stuff...

Take a look at my Island 1 Enlarger http://goofans.com/download/other/island-1-enlarger
It makes changes to the Island1 scene and level files that are similar to the changes you want to make.

But wouldn't Far Lands and Time for Real be illegal too then? They both edit island1.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

According to what I have read, Kyle and Ron like modding. So they aren't against us making mods.

Come chat with us !
http://goofans.com/irc.php

The thing to note is... that since the originals were made, TFR and FarLands have been converted into goomods.. neither/none of which modify island1.

That said... "illegal" is the wrong word... "invalid" is closer.. but still not quite right.
About the only "objection" we could have is if the changes you make to island1 prevent other goomods from being installed / played alongside yours.

I don't know exactly what your doing, but to be "safe" could you modify island2,3,4,5 instead?

The idea is to make the island direct to a different, modded map. GooTool would make changes to island1, but the game would actually be using island1X or something.

Yeah... that'll be a problem then.... because GooTool won't understand that you've done that, and will still add the other levels into the island1 level.

Which means that your mod will effectively disable any other goomods that are installed... and that's a "No No".

GooTool and goomods weren't just created to easily allow mods to be produced, they are also to make sure that different mods from different authors will "play nice" with each other and can be used at the same time.

This idea, redirecting island1, goes completely against that.

As I see it you've got a couple of options...
The best I think is..
Redirect one of the other chapters / islands so it doesn't affect everyone elses goomods.
or
You could also redesign Island1 so that it has all your levels built in, but is still compatible with GooTool and "looks OK" when GooTool adds all the other goomod levels.

But what about Intelligent Islands? That crashes the whole game if it's installed at the same time as a level.

That was a glitch with the original editor. I'm pretty sure that if you go to the original download page, get it, launch it, (stand the crappyness of it), and load up the islands, then I think you can make something similar. However, Island mods for new levels should be up to goo-tool, or Professionnal editors (not me!) to handle such righteous tasks. I suggest to go with Daft as Brushes conclution, than listen to this dude giving suggestions, which if not handled properly could REALLY end your world (of goo). Please carry on. Smile

How about this: 5 different goomods, which each override a different chapter. That way the users can make the choice!

And when all are finished, you also make a BIG bundle with all of the levels (don't delete the other goomods for those that want to do it seperately). Great. Just make sure to make room in your modded Chapter 1 for basic level goomods. And could you please give us your first Chapter Goomod for WoG:AP so we can have some fun!

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

I'm almost done, the last part of the goomod is the XSL. I have to write the whole goomod by hand Sick

@AP
Wasn't aware that Intelligent Islands could crash it... will have a word with MOM about it...

But just because someone else has produced a "bad" mod a long time ago, doesn't mean you should now.

Since this is just... "the C1 demo" ... ?
I don't think you really need to go so far as producing 5 goomods.
One, which doesn't disable any others, will be fine!

PS. Re: Making goomods by hand
Until May this year, when I started work on WooGLE.. "by hand" was the ONLY way to do it...!
I dunno, kids these days... ^^ ... don't know they're born! Wink

Hmm... I've never had a problem with Intelligent Islands crashing WOG. What exactly did you do that made it crash?
By the way, I did say on my Intelligent Islands page that it should be installed on the _bottom_ of the stack in GooTool, otherwise it would override any levels installed in WOG, so if someone saves and launches WOG from GooTool when it isn't in the bottom of the stack, it's kinda their fault...and kinda mine at the same time...
But if it really does crash the game, I'll look into it, maybe change Intelligent Islands so it merges all the stuff into scene.xml rather than overriding it. I didn't have the knowledge back when I first made it to create xsl's for every chapter, but now I might be able to.

@DaB: Maybe, in case anyone else wants to add stuff to chapters later, you could make the chapter levels editable in WooGLE, just have all the stuff saved to an .xsl when "Create Goomod" is clicked, so that it doesn't cause problems like this down the road?

The problem is that I have about 15 balls, 5 levels besides the map, TONS of images, and 3 custom particles as well as the island merge.

MOM: If it isn't on the bottom, and with certain other mods when it is, the game freezes saying "summer".

Ok, should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing the problem out! I had no idea.

@AP
Making goomods of each level in WooGLE, then copying the contents of all the goomod folders into one folder should make things a bit quicker / easier.
That should get you all the compile and override files you need.
You'll just have to watch any merge files, and combine them yourself.

@MOM Re: Saving islands as .xsl
That's called XML Diff.. and it's not easy to do. There are utilities out there that will do it, but so far I've not found one that's both "really good" and free, but you'd think there must be one.

All I have left is the text and island merges! Yay! Laughing out loud

But I have a question...if all of the levels are marked in addin.xml, will it do their level names and texts in the 'normal' way (LEVEL_TEXT_LEVELNAME) or do I need to put them in the text merge?

If you set the addin type to level then GooTool will look for any <level> tags.. and will add the buttons, and the text and "everything" in the normal way, and process any merge files.

If you set the addin type to mod.. GooTool will just process the files as it find them, and won't try to add any extra level buttons or text or anything.

Depends want you need / want.

Just wondering what it would name the text resources Smile

The only text resources GooTool will add "automatically" is the level name and the level description / subtitle shown on the level start screen.

LEVEL_NAME_{LEVELNAME} used in island1.scene and island1.xml
LEVEL_TEXT_{LEVELNAME} used in island1.xml

Any other text (signpost / label / whatever) has to be added with a text.xml merge.

Ok. That makes it a lot easier.