How to use World of Goo Editor (Tutorial)

110 replies [Last post]

It would be great, and very long-awaited.
I think Mr. Croft was/is working on one for GooTool, but he seems to be busy at the current time and not working on it much.
static=true should be for all walls and such (if you just put rectangles/circles in a compositegeom, problem solved), but if static, they should not have a mass!
If you want them to fly around the level, make sure they have a mass and static=false. I'm not quite sure if you all figured that out or not...
Anyway, good luck guys!

I'll expiriment a little. If it seems like it's possible, I'll let you know. Right now, I'm too much into VB to care about other languages!

I will give it one more try, but if my level still doesn´t appear I will quit using wog editor. It just don´t works. Please, does anyone know where your level appears in the game?

Want a dutch translation for your level, mod or sign painter? I would be happy to translate. So ask/pm me!

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Before creating your own level, you should at least have installed another user level. If you had, you'd know where to look for user levels in the game.
They appear at the very top left in chapter 1.

Edit: This only applies if you have already made a .goomod of your level and try to install it with GooTool.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

rien333: You need the WOG patch in order for WOG editor to work. And when you click "save and play level" in WOG editor, it should pop up your level in WOG, not the entire WOG game itself.

Yeah...I completely forgot about the WoG patch! You need to have WoG updated to 1.30 if you want GooEditor to work...

You can get the patch here: http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch

I think I installed the patch but it still doesn´t work. Do you have to do something special if you want to make the patch work?

Want a dutch translation for your level, mod or sign painter? I would be happy to translate. So ask/pm me!

The patch DOES work if you direct it to your already-active Goo Directory. Check to see if WoG Editor is pointed towards the correct WoG directory, NOT the custom one.

It turns out that WoG edit can work for ALL computers,so you can make levels, but not play them unless you drag em' to a different computer.

...or if you make it a goomod! Wink

I had some trouble with WOG patch. It created a seperate directory of the same name in the folder I pointed it to. Rrrgh. I didn't even think that was possible. Anyway, check for duplicated folders, and find the one WOG patch installed to. Copy all its contents over to your custom WOG folder. Hopefully this is your problem; if not, I have no clue.

When i open world of goo etetor it gust shows a folder named world of go etetor and when i click on it it gust shows me all this stuf! Help!

Im so cool im cooler than people that are cooler than me!

does anyone have a video showing how to do it from the molment you turn your computer on till the level is done? if so i would be soooooooo greatful!

I tried it once, creating the video, but my screen recording software went berzerk and, for some reason, my 10 minute explanation ended up being 20 seconds long. You should be able to see where this went...

Hey everybody! I've started a new project, separate from GooMaker. The idea came after looking at this topic with everyone stating their problems and bugs involved with WoG Editor. I thought to myself, is this possible, and I experimented a little, and the answer was YES! It IS possible to create a NEW level editor for WoG in VB (since that's the only language I use to program applications...apparently).

I've already started, and it's starting to take form! :: http://i45.tinypic.com/119b7rs.png

Of course this is still just my first design...I have already created a few of the assets involved, and the rest are a matter of whether I have time!...

...and don't worry! I'm including an option for WoG Editor users for translating their knowledge of using the program just as if it were WoG Editor. I hope all of you find this simple enough...

Alright, so when will you come out with a Demo or something like that (like goomaker)?

I can send links to beta-testers. You can apply by emailing me. I will only sent links for GUI and other stuff like that though.

Oh.... I'm....not a beta tester. But I can see if there are any problems I can try to figure out. (Remember I figured out problems with other utilities and my own games, so I think I can help)

We'll see...I suppose. This utility runs under .NET Framework 3. I'm sorry for all the confusing changes, but at least now it will work with XP Service pack 2. But it will be best for people to comment now as I am so early in production. I can't change the GUI when I'm almost done with it, sorry.

Sweet deal! Good luck with the project! Can you please please please make corner-drag handles on the rectangles so you can drag them bigger or smaller? Typing new values by hand really stinks...

danydat: When you first open WOG Editor, it just shows you that blue folder in the top left, right? Click on that, and find your WOG installation (Depending on where you got WOG from, it may be somewhere different on your computer, mine is at C:\Program Files\Brighter Minds Media\World of Goo). Click on your WorldOfGoo.exe in that folder and choose OK. The other buttons in WOG Editor that were previously greyed out should now be clickable. Does that help any?

MOM4Evr wrote:
Sweet deal! Good luck with the project! Can you please please please make corner-drag handles on the rectangles so you can drag them bigger or smaller? Typing new values by hand really stinks...

This is what i missed in WoG Editor.
and.. I think i can be a beta-tester Laughing out loud

Alright. I'll post a download link here once it's in a stable state.

BTW: It will be AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE!!! You won't even need to write that many values. If you NEED to write/change a value of an existing object, you will need to right-click on it and click on 'properties'. After that, a sweet little GUI will pop up with some changeable values in it. That's basically the MOST technical thing about the GUI. Yes, it is THAT simple!
Wink

Woo!

LOL I'm a little tired of working for the day, so I decided to screw around a little on Windows 7! Windows Update had 5 important updates and 38 optional ones. The optional ones were almost all language GUI packs! It's currently at 38% complete and I will soon be able to see everything in Japanese! Awesome!

Thanks MOM4Evr now im up and running!

danydat wrote:
Thanks MOM4Evr now im up and running!

Yes, thanks to him and you and me and everyone! (sorry, I'm in the middle of a mental breakdown...)

No problem. Have fun making levels! (And more fun when Enchanter49 gets his Level Maker up and running...) Smile

MOM4Evr wrote:
No problem. Have fun making levels! (And more fun when Enchanter49 gets his Level Maker up and running...) Smile

Yes, thank you. It's going quite well, actually. I already have the form for when you want to add/change a resource. Right now, I'm working on displaying ALL of the folder names inside of the res/balls folder. The very hardest part would be displaying the preview. THAT is going to take a little more time... I'll try to keep you all updated though!

Yeah, that would be the hard part...I think that it passes some kind of command-line parameter...maybe?
Maybe I could make some kind of stub program that just displays the command-line stuff it's passed, so you could debug this...

I run everything in VB. I DO know how to open external programs, but you would have to compile it under a .exe and it should be able to receive commands from my program.

I personally think you cannot do something like this, so I'm not going to do anything towards the idea.