How to use World of Goo Editor (Tutorial)

110 replies [Last post]

Pavke: I think they also used something in Photoshop. If you look at the xml from the old TOG releases, you can see in some of the comments "exits exported from Photoshop" and stuff like that. Anyway, the gist is that they mainly made the xml by hand.

methurakgoo: For wogeditor to work, make sure you have WOG patched:
http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch

@ MOM4Evr
Of course, they had to use Photoshop for the art Smile
I'm not experienced in Photoshop but I think there is some kind of a "grid" option.
They must have used that grid to match it with the coordinates in the game and that's how they know where to place stuff.
Doing it by try and error seems senseless to me Smile

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Very good point. I wish we knew for sure!

i can install it. i dont know why, i cant install any exe files
please help me

pd i have python 2.6

if you cant understand me its because im mexican

If you're running Linux or Mac, you can't use WOG Editor. It is only supported in Windows. Sorry.

its windows 7

Can you help me out with this, I'm not sure if sombody has asked for help on it sorry,
I made my pipe using 3 vertex'x and then i put the level exit at the end of the pipe.
When I test the level and build my goo to that point the exit triggers and it starts sucking but well... everything gets real buggy the goo won't get sucked in unless i pick them up and move them into it, and usually the goo jump off the goo structure for some reason when the pipe is active.
Does anyone know how to fix problems like this?

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Did you build to the pipe (the last connection) with a ball type which has walkable strands? Exceptions are e.g. Pokeys and bombs. Balls won't walk strands of those types.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Its built using common goo balls, when the goo drops onto the strands it behaves normal its just that when the pipe is activated they start going really weird

make sure that the level exit and the pipe vertex are aligned EXACTLY on top of each other

also, maybe you mixed up the order of the vertexes and you are putting the level exit on the end of the pipe rather than the start

The end of the pipe is where the exit is and the position of the exit is the same coordinates as the end of the pipe

popo: then you don't have to install it. Just double-click the .exe file. (that is, wogeditor.exe, the others are called by WOG Editor and don't do anything when you double-click on them).
The new version of WOG Editor (0.6+) is a _self-installing_ .exe, and you'll need to have administrator privilages on your computer to install it.

duckdudetom: The end of the pipe is the first vertex. If you have this set up correctly, I have no clue without looking at the level. Any chance you could upload it someplace and post a link? (Or upload the unfinished goomod, and have a moderator look at it?)

Hey everybody! Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I was distracted (school, friends, etc.).

As for the new editor, I think I am going to give it one more try. I haven't been working on it now in almost a whole month. Shock

So, you asked for an update, and I gave you one. I'll keep checking this topic from now on.

Wow, a lot has happened while I was gone.

Another update: I'm working with Java now. It seems relatively easy, and the best part that cross-platforming will be almost no trouble at all! (so, the level editor may be compatible with mac & linux as well!)

Besides that, I am doing fine, thank you very much.

Let's get this (g00) show on the road!

Java was the first language that I learned. Ive got lots of experience with it and i have made gui's and stuff in it so if you want any help id be happy to assists you or fix some code. (If i can find the time to with all my classes and stuff...)Tongue

Grant wrote:
Java was the first language that I learned. Ive got lots of experience with it and i have made gui's and stuff in it so if you want any help id be happy to assists you or fix some code. (If i can find the time to with all my classes and stuff...)Tongue

Alright. If you can help me with a few things, I'd be very thankful. I'm still just learning it and it's a little different than what I have worked with before. For one thing, I don't know how to create at least a basic form (GUI-/Window). This will be the basis, of course. My email is clericman|at|yahoo|dot|com. Thanks. I'll try to research this on my own, but, of course, I have schoolwork too. Actually, I am supposed to be typing an essay right now. But, of course, the computer is hidden from view of my mom, so I can get away with something like this. Ah well. Better get back to the essay. It shouldn't take too long. Wink

The original game levels were all exported from Photoshop. Not only was the art done in Photoshop, but so were the level mechanics using a bunch of hacky Photoshop macros (which is why a "level editor" was never released). This was confirmed in a number of interviews and forum posts.

The XML files may have been post-processed after being exported from Photoshop, but I doubt they were manually edited given the high level of structural consistency.

-davidc

could someone tell me how to make a button in a level? i think i have seen it in someones level before.... i really need to know! its for my new WOG level im making!

don't eat goo while swimming after 30 sec before skydiving after eating goo...
if u can read wats up there and understand it.. congratulations! ur not a complete moron! if u dont understand it then read wats under the HHJK
HHJK
it means DONT EAT GOO IN

How about you decrypt an existing chapter map and look for yourself? It's XML, so it's easy enough to understand.

@davidc: I would have never imagined Photoshop as a level editor. I wonder how well it would work if someone used it now to make a level.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

GMMan..... i still wouldn't know how to make those buttons do what i want them to do...... the buttons i got from the existing chapters and even the world map i could not understand how they worked....

don't eat goo while swimming after 30 sec before skydiving after eating goo...
if u can read wats up there and understand it.. congratulations! ur not a complete moron! if u dont understand it then read wats under the HHJK
HHJK
it means DONT EAT GOO IN