High resolution problems

16 replies [Last post]

Every time i use a scanned image as a bg in my levels, the background crashes, shows me a collage of different things i have on my desktop and on my screen. And, when i try do do it with gootool, it crashes. Help!

Because writing signatures is too mainstream

Yes, chances are your graphics card doesn't support images of that high of resolution. Try to keep your graphics 1024x1024 or smaller.

It now works with the testing in-game but gootool does not accept it Sad

Hmm, strange. What's the error message you get? It may be in the wrong format or such.

Also, what kind of image is it? JPEG? PNG? etc...

Well my scanner makes them .bmp i think then i use photoshop to make them .png The error is (java.lang.exception). Does that tell you anything?

Nope, that tells me nothing. What does the error message say? Tongue

As for converting, are you sure you're changing the image itself to PNG format, and not renaming the file extension? I'm not totally sure how Photoshop works, and if that's possible...

No, i use the photoshop to "save as" and make it save the file as a png. That worked with the new gooballs i made, and with many more levels. I dont know why this happens.

Would you mind supplying the goomod so we can have a look at it? Just upload it as a new addin and give the link (don't request publication).

Works for me. Goo Tool gives no error, I can even play the level in WoG. I mean, it isn't finished to it's impossible, but it's not crashing on me or anything.

However, as MOM said, see if shrinking it down to 1024x1024 or smaller helps. The image is quite large, so some PCs might have problems.

It works for you? Oh well! that means ill finish the level and try to add it to the radioactive levels collection. Maybe i should reinstall my gootool Smile

I still recommend shrinking the background image though. 3436x2409 is unnecessarily large and just wastes peoples' bandwidth.

Hmmm.... I will try shrinking it. But strange, i thought i already shrunk it.

If you're on a mac, it dies when trying to binltlify an image that's too big.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Ohh! So it is the high resolution. I will change it. thank you!

MOM4Evr wrote:
Try to keep your graphics 1024x1024 or smaller.

Kind of what I said in the very beginning... Tongue

By the way, hardware-accelerated textures (Since World of Goo uses DirectX, this applies here) can only have dimensions in powers of 2. So if your image is 1025x1025, it really uses as much memory as an image that's 2048x2048; FOUR TIMES the size of a 1024x1024 image, even though it's (supposedly) only a pixel larger in each dimension. It's not a problem until your card starts running out of memory, or unless your card can't support textures that large. So to be on the safe side, as I said, keep your images in the 1024x1024 range or smaller. It'll also help people who have graphics cards that can't support really large images. The biggest textures World of Goo uses are the background images for original levels, and as far as I know, they're all 512x512 or smaller. Backgrounds are supposed to be scaled up and blurry, anyway, to give an illusion of depth.

EDIT: Aha! I get it now. I was wondering why in certain levels (Bulletin Board System, Island 4, etc), the level images were cropped into several different images, rather than having one large image for the geometry in the level. It has to do with image size. All the original images (as far as I can tell) are 512x512 or smaller. The only exception I can find after a bit of digging is main_03 in Bulletin Board System (it's 1024x256). I'm guessing this does a lot of things:
-Uses less graphics memory, since most images are in powers of 2
-Loads faster, as there's less data to load from disk for each image
-Lowers the PC specs for the game - this game runs fast and lags very little even on integrated graphics, which is really impressive. I think this is probably because the images are so small, even low-end graphics cards can render a scene in a small amount of time.
-Helps Goo Balls stand out more, as they're scaled very little
-Gives an illusion of depth, as foreground/background images are blurred more.

Well, there we go. Another mystery that was bugging me has been solved. Cool! Smile

Haha! Glad you found something interesting! Thanks for all you advice, too!