"The Flute"?

16 replies [Last post]

I have noticed in a few OCD videos that the person uses his controller ball to "Call" or "Sing" or something with little musical notes and the balls come towards the controller. I found some reference though not directly to this referring to "the flute" method.

How is the flute used? Do I need to find it? I am using the Steam version of WOG.

Thanks

1: click and hold mouse.
2: find it in chapter 2 in (Spoiler warning) "Leaphole"
3: I dunno, If you have reached "MOM" and beaten it, If you can't play it again, then you don't have patch 1.30 (steam has 1.20, which doesn't have this option.

Yes! I Just don't know where to find the Whistle or flute or what ever it is that "calls" the balls... If it is in Chapter 2 then I will have to wait. I have been trying to perfect my Chapter 1 adventure...

As for my Steam version... I have not seen any evidence of an update or what version I have. However I look at the update information for the game in Steam and this is what I get:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

World of Goo Update Released
October 28, 2008, 8:04 pm - Valve - Product Update
Updates to World of Goo have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

World of Goo

Fixed some players running the game with a non-admin login did not have their progress saved

Progress now saves properly on Czech and Swedish Windows

Fixed some users got a black screen on launch with sound but no video

Players can now get the OCD flag in MOM even after they've talked to her

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean I have the latest version? I see no version number!

Thanks....

Well then that answers his question, doesn't it?

Ok... I got that flute. I just went ahead and decided to go through all the levels and then I'll go back for the OCD's...

As for the patch. I am unsure where to apply the patch. The patch appears to just be a bunch of files one of which is the WorldOfGoo.exe. My Steam version of World Of Goo is not located in the usual place people seem to state. Instead it is located here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\world of goo. I have Windows XP.

I would rather not overwrite my steam files... I'm unsure how to get my save data back. Where is my save data located anyway?

Thanks

Canyon wrote:
I would rather not overwrite my steam files... I'm unsure how to get my save data back. Where is my save data located anyway?

Don't worry. You won't lose your save data by overwriting the WoG files. You're actually SUPPOSED to overwrite them...

As for the directory of your save data...

# On Microsoft Windows XP:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo
# On Microsoft Windows Vista:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo
# On Linux (native):
$HOME/.WorldOfGoo
# On Linux using Wine:
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/2DBoy/WorldOfGoo
# On Mac OS X:
/Users//Library/Application Support/WorldOfGoo/pers2.dat

to get the flute beat Leap Hole in world 2. It brings gooballs neeer.

Im so cool im cooler than people that are cooler than me!

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

It's called the "WHISTLE".

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

Good Grief! I didn’t mean to turn this post into a goofest all over my WHISTLE!!!! All I really wanted to know was where was my flute... Ok... My Whistle... Jeesh!!

And just to calm everyone’s gooiness, I did get the Whistle and yes I saw the Gooey announcement that I got it and it said that it was a Whistle... So quit tooting my flute..... It’s time to goo up my whistle!

Enchanter49—

As for where the WOG files are located, like I said, for me they are located here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\world of goo

I have any folder in the %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

But in any case I downloaded the 1.30 patch (Thank you) and I just told it to apply it to where MY WOG files are located... Everything seems to work but I don’t see any difference. I have noticed that some people state that it helps with different resolutions but I don’t have any options to change the resolution. Unless I am supposed to edit the little config.txt file in the WOG directory I can’t see any way to change resolutions. I also don’t see any difference after the patch. But at least it plays. I just hope that I don’t get that issue people seem to have when they reach MOM...

Thanks again for all the help...

Sometimes the WOG Patch doesn't install in the right directory (I had it create a double directory in my installation, something I didn't know was possible!) If you don't think it worked, check and see if there is a seperate directory somewhere with only WorldOfGoo.exe, Uninstall.exe, and the res directory in it. Sometimes this happens.
And to change screen resolution easily, I'd recommend GooTool. It's a little easier to work with than typing stuff manually into config.txt.
Anyway, have fun playing World of Goo! Smile

Canyon wrote:
As for where the WOG files are located, like I said, for me they are located here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\world of goo

I have any folder in the %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

But in any case I downloaded the 1.30 patch (Thank you) and I just told it to apply it to where MY WOG files are located... Everything seems to work but I don’t see any difference. I have noticed that some people state that it helps with different resolutions but I don’t have any options to change the resolution. Unless I am supposed to edit the little config.txt file in the WOG directory I can’t see any way to change resolutions. I also don’t see any difference after the patch. But at least it plays. I just hope that I don’t get that issue people seem to have when they reach MOM...

Thanks again for all the help...

You can change the resolution in GooTool. It has widescreen/higher resolutions available with 1.30 patch. GooTool also comes with the nifty function of MORE LANGUAGES! Well, the MOM issue is probably the most wanted bug-fix ever! If anybody didn't get the OCD the first time, they weren't allowed to do it again...

Canyon: Unless you want to not be able to earn achievements and such, don't apply the patch. Of course, I'm pro-DRM free, but if you're perfectly happy with your current version, you don't need to update. Steam keeps all games up-to-date anyways (though non-Steam versions of games tends to be more up-to-date than Steam versions of games. I blame Valve). Who told you needed a patch anyways?

@James and Enchanter: you two are runaway trains that make threads really hard to read. I wish Pavke would bring the hammer down on you two.

P. S. And stop giving extra tips. You're going way off topic anyways. Canyon can find them out for himself.

Author of World of Goo Portable. Download here!

THAT was a pretty suckish rule.... I'm glad they put it inh, cause I didn't get it the first time. (I would have had to restart the entire game over!!!)

GMMan wrote:
Canyon:Steam keeps all games up-to-date anyways (though non-Steam versions of games tends to be more up-to-date than Steam versions of games. I blame Valve)

Yeah, Steam version of the games isn't up to date with 1.30v patch. (It's Steams/Valve fault). Nothing bad will happen if you use 1.30 patch on your Steam version of the game. But enough about the patch, this is not a thread for that. Smile

GMMan wrote:

@James and Enchanter: you two are runaway trains that make threads really hard to read. I wish Pavke would bring the hammer down on you two.

P. S. And stop giving extra tips. You're going way off topic anyways. Canyon can find them out for himself.

I made the thread more readable now.

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Yes, thank you for pounding the "hammer" down. I was arguing for something that does actually mean a little bit of something. James seems to always turn me on like that. I'm sorry, well, if I were a moderator, I would shut down this topic right about now. The answer to the original question was already answered, and it's skewing off-topic a little.

Yea, if I'm responsible, I'm sorry.

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Yep, everything there is to say here has been said.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment