No sound, no music (Windows XP SP3)

11 replies [Last post]

Hi guys.

The game works, but the sound and the music can't be heard. I installed the latest patch 1.30 and the latest audio driver, but it doesn't help.

One of my fellows gave me his Russian (also official) version, but the same problem there.

The funny thing that the game worked just fine last year, but now the problem appeared.

Any help?

Thanks.

I could help you if you told me if problem is in level editor or in the WOG game original version (Not customized). If on the customized WOG you cannot hear the music you select in the editor the problem should be that for example I got [music name].ogg which is VLC media player audio but some people got something else. If you have [music name].ogg named all the other musics then you can only open musics and sounds that are VLC media player cause the editor accepts only one type musics and if you rename your music it won't work on your computer, editor will not accept it or/and your level will crash on the game. This is if you have customized music but if you mean something else you need to explain more.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about an original WoG installation.

This is very strange, since, as you say, even a fresh installation of a different version doesn't work. I'm assuming all other sounds/music work on your PC?
It's seem like some mixture of Windows Updates, and/or other changes to your computer, are conflicting with the method in which WoG plays its music.

Unfortunately I can't help you further. I would suggest trying to play some of the OGG files directly (located in WorldOfGoo\res\music), maybe you're missing some or other codec. However I will try and look into the problem further.

Wikigoo-4evr, the problem is in original version. I didn't edit anything.

puggsoy,
> I'm pretty sure he's talking about an original WoG installation.
> I'm assuming all other sounds/music work on your PC?
Yes, they do work.

> I would suggest trying to play some of the OGG files directly
Err.. What do you mean by "to play some of the OGG files directly"? To play them in audio player? If so, I did it. They're ok.

> It's seem like some mixture of Windows Updates, and/or other changes to your computer, are conflicting with the method in which WoG plays its music.
> maybe you're missing some or other codec
I'll try to find out this thing.

> However I will try and look into the problem further.
Thanks.

Hmmm...are you using Soultaker's irrKlang patch? If you recently installed it, then that might be the problem.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey,
> are you using Soultaker's irrKlang patch?

No, man, I'm not. I've been using official patch only. BTW, I get the same result with or without patching.

Okay...hm...

Do you have GooTool installed? That affects irrKlang.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, your computer might be trolling you. Run World of Goo and click on the sound icon in the system tray and then "Mixer". Drag the volume for World of Goo up, since its probably at zero.

If this doesn't work, and sound works for you in other programs, then it's probably something to do with compatibility. What OS are you using?

RedTheGreen wrote:
If you're on Windows 7 or Vista, your computer might be trolling you. Run World of Goo and click on the sound icon in the system tray and then "Mixer". Drag the volume for World of Goo up, since its probably at zero.

If this doesn't work, and sound works for you in other programs, then it's probably something to do with compatibility. What OS are you using?

That happens to me so often!

But I didn't think it would happen on WoG. Normally it's when something tries to use the microphone without causing feedback.

World of Goo has very strange compatibility issues. It's about as easy to get a long with as a 2002 gui.

I haven't had problems with the Windows 7 sound mixer. And if you haven't put it down yourself, it shouldn't do it for you. But it's a possibility.

Also, Googling yielded no results, other than people asking how to mute the game, not vice versa.

> Do you have GooTool installed? That affects irrKlang.
No, I haven't.

> If this doesn't work, and sound works for you in other programs, then it's probably something to do with compatibility. What OS are you using?
It's probably true. I run Win XP.

> Normally it's when something tries to use the microphone without causing feedback.
I checked this thing, but it's okay.