mods

12 replies [Last post]

i was just wanting to know,why does the movie and gooball editor only work on windows
and other stuff

I made goomods.

Well, as stated on their addin pages, they're still in their beta versions. Daft as Brush wanted to wait until he'd developed them into their final stage before making Mac and Linux versions, since those take extra work which wouldn't be worth it if they're still in beta.

However, as you probably know, Daft as Brush hasn't be active for ages (in fact, his last visit was 41 weeks and 6 days ago), and so development on WooBLE and Goovie (and WooGLE too, actually) has stopped. The source code for them is available (except for Goovie's), so anybody can continue on development, but they're really hardout programs in a not-so-easy language, so it's not extremely likely that just anybody will pick back up on it. After all, Daft of Brush started it, so he knows exactly how they work and how extra features are supposed to be implemented.

(Note: Don't go asking or ordering people to work on them.)

Python isn't really a "hard" language, afaik. I haven't learned it, tho. Unfortunately, I think we don't have the latest source for WooGLE RC3, which kinda stinks. But yes, as puggsoy said, Daft is really the only person who knows how the programs work, and it would take a while of studying before anybody else could work on them.

MOM4Evr wrote:
Python isn't really a "hard" language, afaik.

Oh yeah, it's in Python, isn't it? I wasn't sure about it, I had a hunch that it was in C# for some reason Tongue
But even Python isn't that simple, I don't think. At least I wouldn't expect WooGLE to be written in simple Python.

ok ;?

I made goomods.

Wait...there isn't source for GooVIE out?

But WoG Editor is under a GNU GPL license, which means that Daft needs to give us the source if we ask him for it! And then it could be compiled on any system (I'm still not quite sure how you compile Python on a mac, but I guess you could interpret it) we want!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Not sure you really need to compile it on any OS, really, as it's a scripting language. I just run it from source in Linux.

But yah, good point about the GPL. Anybody feel like shooting him an email? I remember the address.

Wogfan at hotmail, IIRC.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Totally forgot that cross-platform functionality mostly just required recompiling Tongue

But wouldn't you still need to edit the code quite a bit? Especially since Macs use a different image format and xml encryption.

@puggsoy: Typically in programming, you'd just use a couple macros to determine the OS the user is running. I'm not sure how Python in particular handles this sort of thing; maybe something as simple as a couple environment variables. In any case, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

@AP: Indeed, that's the email I remember also.

With the images and encryption, doesn't WooGLE-Mac just fake it by converting everything to Windows format on first run, then back again on save? In which case using WooGLE once would solve the format problem, then GooVIE could just look at raw PNG images.

Ah, but not everyone will run WooGLE before Goovie. Although now that you mention it, you'd have to do little more than copy-paste the code from WooGLE to allow Goovie and WooBLE to decrypt images.

Then what do I do?

I made goomods.