Music/Sound

47 replies [Last post]

contact who?

The people I mentioned are people that are kind of like us: would like to contribute to something cool and are not professionals. However, we need something cool before I can contact them, otherwise its going to be a 'no'.

So game first, then music?

-_-

I think that'd be the right way to go. We should base the music off the game, not the game off the music.

Nope, the other way around. My philosophy is that the music is what gives you "feelings" in any good story. It's really a combination, but music doesn't have to be a priority yet.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Nope, the other way around. My philosophy is that the music is what gives you "feelings" in any good story. It's really a combination, but music doesn't have to be a priority yet.

Very true. Very, very true.

(here goes a big BUTT)

BUTTTTTTTT

PROBLEM, MR.RED:

If someone were to make a game according to THEIR story, they would need music that fits THEIR story. So, unfortunately, its best done the other way around: game first , music after. Its easy to do on both sides but each music piece tells a different story, a game only one.

Howitz wrote:
BUTTTTTTTT

*giggles*

Either way might work. BUTTTTTT a real-world example:

-TV programs
The composers are generally given the idea of what the movie is about, and maybe even rough cuts of the movie itself, so they know what exactly they're shooting for when composing music. In reality, oftentimes the music and the movies are made at around the same time because of tight schedules. But everybody knows the exact feel of the movie/show already because everybody has the script to base it all off of.

I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, but the point is to not stifle anybody's creativity by "basing" the artwork off the music or vice versa. That's the goal of each individual artist or composer, to make their own take of what they think the game is about (and games can be art!). Probably what we should do is figure out where the noodles we're going with the story before we get too far into what the artwork and music are like. Concept sketching can be an important asset as well.

MOM4Evr wrote:
(and games can be art!).

Games ARE art!

How about both at once? Don't they do that?
We have to do game first to impress those guys howitz knows

-_-

puggsoy wrote:
Games ARE art!

Please don't say Duke Nukem Forever is art. Tongue

My frend waited 15 years for duke nukem...

He was very disappointed...

-_-

Minecraft is definitely art.

I guess it makes sense to have music AFTER the actual game maps are planned. Besides, we need to know what the feel of the game is before the feel of the music. It makes much more sense.

OK, rephrase: All good games are art.

And yep, I agree with Red. The whole game doesn't need to be finished, but at least most maps and art.

Minecraft is a good game! > : O I wasn't being sarcastic!

I think puggsoy was referring to DNF. Minecraft is definitely art.

Oh, and http://pics.nase-bohren.de/1993-vs-2011.jpg

LOL. Okay then. It so is.

Yep, you got it MOM. I dare not insult Minecraft on this forum...

And lol.