Association

9 replies [Last post]

Of the six people written on the Titles page (or eight or so people involved), only a few have done notable work. Now, this is in no way an assumption that those people will not work.

However, I find this large a team a little overwhelming. To be honest, I don't think I want to work this hard on an open project. I'll upload my latest build (and source), before physics, for work to be continued by someone else.

I may contact a few of you personally in the future to do something smaller/more private.

Although I am not going to be participating actively with the game, I will still be here.

I will revise my engine for later use. I am giving the bit uploaded freely for public use/modification. Commercially too, if desired.

What Shock
looks like I might have to do more work at codeacademy then
Sad

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

So what, you're basically saying that you're not going to be working on the engine anymore? Hm.

But I think I understand what you mean. It is pretty much the first game you're making (that I know of, anyway), and this is a bit of a big task. I mean, I haven't even finished my first Flash game yet, and that's a gazillion times simpler than this.

(Also, sorry about no story. I really should have done something.)

It's perfectly alright. Yes, my main concern is that my first release ought to be smaller. At the same time, I know I can do this kind of code, but, like I said, I ought to have smaller projects.

You've all been good to me.

Yeah, you have done most of the work. You can take a break! You need it.
Ok, so we should make a story. This is what killed notwog; no story = nothing we can work on.

-_-

Right, right, sorry. I have a general idea but I just need to get it down on paper. I'll try to get something acceptable up on Google Docs within the week.

And hopefully MOM4Evr and I can continue work on the engine.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Wait, did I just get volunteered? Tongue

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll have any time to work on this particular engine. I'm busy right now trying to finish up my own game and get it on Steam before the summer ends, which will be cutting it pretty close. After that, I'd like to keep working on my other game in between schoolwork, which won't be easy due to my fairly heavy courseload next semester. Not to mention I have to do pretty well in school to pull up my GPA as much as I can. In all honesty, I'd probably scrap the whole thing and start from scratch anyway, or build off a tried-and-true game engine like HGE or SFML, which would require far less work to get implemented. I would also recommend you use a scripting language, like Lua or such, so that as little of the code as possible is actually hardcoded. This can give you a heck of a lot of flexibility, and makes really epic mods totally easy to make. I've seen some crazy mods made with Aquaria's engine (Like Super Meat Boy...IN AQUARIA), just because the game has such powerful scripting features built in.

For the foreseeable future, though, I'm going to have to stay out of it. I just have a lot of other commitments, and not a whole lot of time on my hands. I can always answer programming questions and help solve bugs and such, but other than that, I can't commit to anything.
Hence why I didn't respond to this topic in the first place. Tongue

Sorry, I just mentioned your name because I knew you could use C++. I completely understand about not being able to continue.

I agree about the scripting, with something like Lua or Squirrel. That would give us a lot of flexibility, fairly easily, and would reduce the size of the engine.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Here's the source, if you want to continue where I left off.

http://files.redthegreen.com/FoxOld.zip

It's packaged together as a CBP (Code::Blocks Project). If you have Code::Blocks installed on Windows, it should compile without a problem. SDL and all other 3rd party libraries are included with the project.

Please note the code is a bit messy and unorganized.