SOLVED: Windows 8 & GooTool ugliness

12 replies [Last post]

Any word on windows 8 compatibility for goo tool? The level editor runs great, but when I attempt to run goo tool, nothing.... and I mean NOTHING happens. Ideas are welcome.

EDIT: From what I can see, GooTool is prompting a download of Java that is outdated. Downloading an updated version fixed the issue.

Do you have Java installed?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yes, in fact GooTool insists on reinstalling Java at each successive reinstall.

As far as I know this is the first time someone's had a go with GooTool on Windows 8, so there's no guarantee that it's actually compatible at all.

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

I think davidc didn't make the new gootool for Windows 8.You can always talk to him.

My Profile

I am actually on of the firsts that used GooTool on win8 Tongue
I had Windows 8 Release preview about 3 months ago and I can say that GooTool runs perfectly on that. It wasn't working on Windows 8 Consumer preview(even World of Goo wasn't) and I don't know what's the problem in the official version. Sad
Try the compatibility mode. It should work. Quest

EDIT: My father has windows 8. I'll ask him to install World of Goo and GooTool so will see what happens. Smile

I'm still running Win8 Release Preview, and I have tried:

- compatibility mode
- running as an administrator
- drinking a gallon of milk in an hour
- scratching my own back between the shoulder blades

None of which have helped yet..... I'm wondering if it's hardware related, but it's still odd... it literally does nothing, no errors, no dialog...

Try this:
1.open the task switcher (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
2.open world of goo
3.see if wog appears.

EDIT: You can also try this

open wog or gootool..... wog opens and appears no problem, gootool does not.

Sorry, I meant if appears "javaw.exe".

Did that work?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@AP: See his edit of the first post.

@nfkoopmann: Glad to know you got it solved! I'll link this page on the GooTool download page.

Hmmm, funny, no one really seems to do that here while we should XD

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves