im still trying to figure out the difference so far I have this:

Pros:
Pure: can start it up directly
Steam: Cheaper
Pure: if CD, it can be transferred
Steam: works on cloud.

Cons:
Pure: not exactly portable.
Steam: needs to start up steam to start.
Pure: If needed repair and no cd, rebuy.
Steam: Updates to 1.20 not 1.30 Sad

So? which one is better?

World of Goo STILL exists to some people Laughing out loud!

DRM-free is always better.

Some more advantages to Pure:

• Very portable (except across the Windows/Mac boundary).
  • You can keep several copies with different modifications on one computer and have them not interfere with each other.
  • All the money goes to 2D Boy.
  • If you lose your copy, you can redownload with the key you were sent when you bought it.
  • The editors were designed to work perfectly with pure version 1.3.

I say go with pure.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

wow i can't believe after all these years there is actually a person who manage to find the game and then buy it Smile

well i have to start believing!

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!

Pure is much better modding-wise, for reasons AP said. However I also own the Steam version for playing the original, since I like Steam. If you intend to install and/or make mods though, a pure DRM-free version from 2D Boy is surely better.

puggsoy wrote:
Pure is much better modding-wise, for reasons AP said. However I also own the Steam version for playing the original, since I like Steam. If you intend to install and/or make mods though, a pure DRM-free version from 2D Boy is surely better.

I see your point from a certain perspective, but you CAN mod steam version! it's hard, but it can work. i have done it. you just have to patch Wog to make mods on it Smile

The trick is that it doesn't allow you to have multiple independent copies. So if you install mods, you can't play the unmodded game until you uninstall them.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Really? Well I Can play unmodded AND modded, which is kinda wierd to your sentence.

Really? How? Is the copy in /steamapps/ modded or unmodded?

I think he ran the World of Goo patch and created a DRM-free copy off of his Steam copy. I originally suggested this over IRC. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been tried before.

I can see your point.