Rotation Speed

37 replies [Last post]

Is there a limit on how slow a geom can rotate, if so, what is it. I want it to rotate slower than 0.0005 but everything i've tried doesnt work. Could anyone suggest a figure to try.
By the way, the geom i'm using is really large.

Nope... looks like 0.0005 is the lowest. (adding check and warning to WooGLE....)
Probably there's some rounding/threshold in the game.. anything below that gives 0 rotation.

0.0005 gives you 1 rev. per 4 minutes... is that really not slow enough?

About the only way you could make it slower.. is "mechanics"..

I'm thinking about building real cogs that work, and gear down your rotation, or maybe a friction drive, with a rotating circle pressed against a bigger free rotating one... or...
Trouble is these methods will probably be a bit "dodgy"... and might stick or slip ...
Maybe take a look at some of the stuff Donald has done...
http://goofans.com/download/level/gears
http://goofans.com/download/level/chain-reaction2

I would need it to go at about half the speed. I've just had a go at circles pressing on each other but like you said it slips. I haven't tried Donald’s gears yet, i think it might work as long as it rotates smoothly.
What i want is an object that weighs about 900 to be lowered down slowly without any spring in it. My initial idea (before the one i was currently talking about) was to have a rope of goos wrapped around a circle so as it rotates the rope is lowered, but goo balls are too springy. Is it possible to make goos with no stretch in them? I think that would work. (I haven't got round to wooble yet)

Just use rope! They don't bounce very much, eg, water goos that make super short strands? You could also use a linearff with a HUGE dampening factor and geomonly, and set the object on a slider. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Water goos also stretch. I'll try the linearff idea.

a while ago i was playing around with the linearff. to get a geom moving with a constant speed.
check this out:

there are two linearff first the usual and second a geomonly with
force="0,9"
dampeningfactor="100"
both of them should be type="gravity"

dampening factor is a fraction of 1...IDK what 100 will do Wink

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

this may sound stupid but:
what means IDK?

I don't know.

I mean, I know what it means, and it means...I don't know...I mean...AAARRRGGGHHH!

Wink

Just tried your settings goomatz but the object flickers about and flies off screen. I think that geom in the vid works is because its quite small and not very complicated.

Maybe the insanely ridiculous dampeningfactor? Wink ;) Wink

@AP
ok i got it thanks Big smile

@ Peter B
when does this happen?
What mass do you use? maybe a higher mass could work. The rectangle in the video has mass="900"
do you have a slider?
edit: give it a try with
force="0,9.9"
Dampeningfactor="1"

Peter B wrote:
I've just had a go at circles pressing on each other but like you said it slips.

It shouldn´t slip with a sticky material (high friction).

Wouldn't a sticky wheel get stuck to the other one at 1 point?

it seems to me that sticky material is only sticking attached gooballs not other geometry.
but material="grass" would work too this isn´t sticky but has friction="100"

It has a high mass and sliders. I think i should forget about linearff and try something else.

The circles still slip even when sticky or grass.

Try some gears, then!

Peter B wrote:

The circles still slip even when sticky or grass.

Did you tried with grass on both wheels or just on one of them?
my experienc was that if one is a slippy material it will slip but with a high friction material on both it rotates.

good luck then with finding something what is working. Smile
I gotta sleep now it´s 3:30 a.m. in my place and i´m Tired

Which time zone are you in? And why are you on Goofans at 3:30 AM? Puzzled

Albino Pokey wrote:
Which time zone are you in? And why are you on Goofans at 3:30 AM? Puzzled

I´m in middle european timezone and i was tinkering on my new level and forgot about time. Drunk

I must say levels and tinkering is ANYTIME! Laughing out loud

I set both surfaces to grass, it still slips. Its probably not working coz the circles i'm using are very large.
I still think a goo rope would work if someone could confirm if its possible to make goo that doesnt stretch.

Try tiny strands (maxlenghth2).

Can anyone suggest any strand settings to make it so there's no bounce. Or any other suggestion for a kind of rope. It has to hold a mass of about 900-1000. I've only just downloaded wooble so my knowledge at the moment is limited.

maxlen1...n/a
maxlen2...very small
maxforce...HUGE

Isnt there any way to make it so there is absolutley no spring in the strands.

Can DaB think of any way?

Peter B wrote:
Isnt there any way to make it so there is absolutley no spring in the strands.

This could be the rigid strand, if someone knows the missing attribute.
But noone found it yet. Crying
So try a big springconst. but this could give you the shaking bug.

only >20. Use 19.4 for a strong strand.

I've found a way for it to work now with linearff.

Nice, Big smile
i´m curious about your settings.

Force:0,40 Dampeningfactor:550
I might have to alter them a bit as i make the rest of the level. Its more about the setup than the settings. You’ll see the problem I was faced with when it’s published. I’m trying something that hasnt been done before.

Quick question (off topic)

I want an '&' symbol in my level name, but it doesnt show up on the loading screen. Can this be fixed or am I just stating a fact.