More Chapters Patch

26 replies [Last post]

I thought it'd be nice to have a whole topic about this rather than talk about it a little bit in other threads.

Well, recently in a thread or two there's been some discussion about how WoG's .exe handles the number of allowed chapters. As we all know (or should know) editing the .exe is illegal, but what about making a patch? If decompiling the .exe is possible (which to my knowledge is incredibly difficult and not very accurate), or otherwise accessing the source code, would somebody with C++ knowledge be able to make a patch allowing more chapters?

Another possibility is emailing 2D Boy to ask if they are willing to make such a patch themselves.

What do you guys think?

I think emailing 2D Boy is possible. Smile

Easy, even. Ron or Kyle @2dboy.com

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I sent Ron an email. It explains our fascination and interest in chapter-modding as well as asks for such a patch, or at least permission to build our own.

LETS DO THIS:ALL, ABSOLUTELY ALL WILL EMAIL TO 2D BOY REQUESTiNG THE PATCH TO ADD MORE CHAPTERS.
I will put the link in a moment.

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

Not sure if that's necessary, G0o-gle. One email from Red is enough, I think.

RedTheGreen wrote:
I sent Ron an email. It explains our fascination and interest in chapter-modding as well as asks for such a patch, or at least permission to build our own.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the response Laughing out loud

Decompiling and hacking .exe files requires quite a bit of assembly knowledge, not C++ or whatever language it was programmed in.

But yes, I'd recommend nagging them with emails instead until we get a response.

As soon as I hear something I'll let you guys know. It's the kind of email that uses the term 'nonsense' rather than 'things'. Tongue

Decompilers exist, you know.

Right, sorry. I confused disassembling with decompiling.

The problem is, the variables are all obfuscated. We'd need to figure out what each one does to deobfuscate, and that takes ages.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Not to mention all comments are lost. Not pretty. Wink

And the decompiled C++ code would be entirely unlike the original, simply because of the nature of the compile/decompile steps. Not that this is a huge issue, but it sure wouldn't help in understanding what's going on, either.

Java is much nicer that way. You can get your entire code back. The only thing changed are comments.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Java is much nicer that way.

Hah. I take it this means that Java compilers don't optimize code? That's pretty dumb.

Yep

I prefer Python to Java, but C++ is great for mainstream applications. (just really hard to cross-platform)

C++ = hard to cross-platform? HAH!

Java and Python are hundreds of times harder to cross-platform than C++. The GNU GCC compiler (very common compiler for Linux, Mac, and Win. Written in C/C++, btw) will take any C++ code (that isn't platform-specific already) and compile it for any platform. There are even methods that make it fairly straightforward to cross-compile. C++ is also commonly used to program embedded devices. The problem is people who write non-cross-platform-compatible code or use Visual Studio or MFC or something that's inherently platform-specific.

O! That makes sense. I use Visual Studio. :3

Then that would explain it. Tongue

RedTheGreen wrote:
O! That makes sense. I use Visual Studio. :3

Me too. Smile

@Mygod: Yea, I really need to switch to Dev-C++ or some other program.

@RedTheGreen: Exactly, I use C#.

C#? You crazy devil! Tongue I tried it, mainly for XNA, but it didn't stick.

No, Dev-C++ is a fairly inactive and outdated program at the moment. Grab a copy of Code::Blocks. It's basically a newer version of Dev-C++ and more stable. Be sure you get the one that says it has mingw (or whatever it is), though, because otherwise you'll have to wrestle with installing GCC on Windows and getting Code::Blocks to find it, which is messy. The mingw one has GCC preinstalled.

I already have GCC on windows, but sure. Sounds good, I'll download later when I'm using my netbook. :3

I am a Netbook-user and I'm Programming a Game, Proggry Proggry Game. Proggry Proggry Game.

Ah, well it might be able to detect GCC if you have mingw installed already. Worth a shot, anyhow.

Proggry Proggry Game? I don't get the reference.

Kinda a spin-off of the Yogscast, if you get the reference. Smile

MOM4Evr wrote:
No, Dev-C++ is a fairly inactive and outdated program at the moment. Grab a copy of Code::Blocks. It's basically a newer version of Dev-C++ and more stable.

Ah, so that's why Dev-C++ looks ancient! I'll keep Code::Blocks in mind for when I start learning C++ (again).