Multimouse on Windows

18 replies [Last post]

I played the Linux version of World Of Goo and I'm gushing over the multimouse feature. I'm just wondering if it's possible on Windows or Mac. Is someone in the community working on something similar?

Unfortunately, it's just for the Linux release. It's a really nifty feature but 2DBOY won't add it any time soon.

It has multimouse? Aaaah! I have to try this!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

You can even use four mice at a time if you edit the config file. Not many people know this.

AND, you can set up little multi-mouse easter eggs in your custom Goo Balls and levels. Chapter 3 of World of Goo is going to include a few.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

So...no mod or anything... That sucks. But I still enjoy the game overall.

Hi, BrianXP7!
I've tried before to get the multimouse support to work right in Linux, and I always failed. Could you post what you did so I can give it a shot? Or was it just mostly plug-and-play for you?

Thanks!

As others have said, the multimouse support is only available for Linux, not Windows or Mac. Though that could be something to write 2DBoy about, if it's possible in other games. There's a few other things we'd probably like changed if they make another patch. Smile

Hey! You guys think we could port this as a goomod to other platforms, or is it probably hard-coded?

Hard-coded for sure. Porting as a goomod is impossible, and although I think that releasing an unofficial patch is legal, it's probably extremely difficult/impossible.

LOL, extremely impossible.... Though maybe that kind of stuff is made elsewhere than in the exe, that would be pretty cool! But then again, I have an ubuntu disc, so I'm tring it out this weekend! I wonder why the max is 4...

It'd be cool if the information was outside of the exe, although I doubt it. But if you or MOM4Evr (or whoever else) could find it that would be awesome.

I think that they just thought that 4 was enough, maybe more would be too chaotic or CPU-intensive.

Oh, we'll see we'll see! Muahahahahaha!!! Yeah, I'll check that out.

Well, only 4 mice fits with the Wii (only 4 remotes) and the number of cursor colors inside the actual game files, so 4 makes sense.

Lets disscuss this in the webchat. (got me there mom!)
EDIT: While trying to run the world of goo demo on ubuntu, I noticed it was running at a really low framefate, like, unplayably slow, so I need to solve that before wi test the multimouse feature. MOM, you're a linux adept, how do you make it run faster?
EDIT2: I managed to make it run regular speed but when I plug the two mice (mouses?) in, and move both in two different directions, both seem to control the same cursor, can you guys help me with this?

Soultaker wrote:
The tricky thing is that the mouse devices must be readable by the user that runs the game. There are at least two things that can prevent that. One is insufficient file permissions (which is discussed in the README). The second is the devices being opened in exclusive mode by some other application.

The problem with recent versions of X was that they use the hardware abstract layer (HAL) causing the server to open all available mouse devices exclusively, regardless of whether the server needs or even user their input, and then the game cannot open them anymore.

You can work around this by disabling the HAL in the Xorg configuration, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a reasonably sophisticated Linux user and know what you are doing. An incorrect configuration may render your system unusable! At the very least, I recommend backing up your Xorg.conf before messing with it.

To work around the HAL, disable the AutoAddDevices option and manually configure a mouse and a keyboard. For example, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
    # more stuff here...
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0"       "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0"          "CorePointer"
        Option         "AutoAddDevices"  "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
    # more options here, if you like
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "CorePointer"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    # more options here, if you like
EndSection

Maybe there is a better way to do this in Ubuntu; if there are advanced Ubuntu users reading along, please comment. Wink

See the old forum topic here: http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/1008

I was a Linux newbie at the time, so I didn't know anything about sudo. And I haven't given Soultaker's advice a try yet; I've been meaning to, though.

Also see davidc's FAQ answer here: http://goofans.com/faq/world-goo/technical-questions/how-do-i-use-more-o...

I just logged in as root. I looked up the stuff but it seems the superuser command is only to introduce a command, I want to be able to use the GUI the way I can when logged in as root.
EDIT: I tried the command provided by david, it works! But blayer two is smaller so I tend to lose it.

Ah. Then you'll have to open your File Manager as root. If you're on vanilla Ubuntu, should be:

$ sudo nautilus

Not generally recommended, but works for those who'd rather use the GUI than doing everything command-line. Just be sure to close it before you delete anything important. Tongue

What's wrong with just running as root? The risks are the same on windows

No, the risks of running as root are nowhere near the same as on Windows. You can foul stuff up fairly easily, even if you know what you're doing. I once removed a seemingly useless package that every other package on the machine depended on, rendering my computer unbootable. In Linux, you have to be careful whenever you're fooling around with root privileges. Especially when editing operating system config files and such. You don't DO that sort of thing in Windows, so there's really no comparison.

Yeah, but I don't really fool around with the terminal all that much, nor do I do anything more than install and run programs.
EDIT:I am now on dual boot, iz so AWSOMZ!