The Another Planet Showcase Thread

119 replies [Last post]

Hello everyone,

Since Another Planet Chapter 3 has been so long in development, I thought it would be a good idea to show that I'm making progress on it.

Here's a screenshot of the map screen at the moment. There are three more levels that don't have buttons yet as I haven't figured out their dependencies.

I'm not sure if I like the glowing-lines thing. What do you think?

The map is going to be laid out somewhat like this:

"Mining"
 __________/ /  \ \___________
/       ____/    \____        \
1      1              1       1
|      |              |       |
2      2              2       2
|      |              |       |
3      3              3       3
|\__   |\__        __/|    __/|
4   \  4   \      /   4   /   4
|    C |    C    C    |  C    |
\_____ \______  ______/ ______/
      \       \/       /
       \______||______/
              \/
          "Lights Up"
               \
           "Crushers"
               /
             ???
              |
          Break Out

The numbered ones and the ??? don't have good names yet, but they're all laid out. The C's are challenge maps.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Each of the four main branches is going to be based on a separate mechanic. The first is the glowing Goo from the Dark Maze level. The second is glowing Launch Goo and a special type of MOM/spawner ball. The third is the "decay" mechanic. The fourth is irregular darkness requiring good timing, including some harder versions of vanilla levels.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I suppose you could make a more creative chapter look, like a cave mountain or something with the actual buttons, if it's a cave level or something.

For me, I have all figured out for my first Wog up to Chapter 3 and have started with the development. Right now I've already remade first two levels of Chapter 1 The Goo Giant Plant and have made one level from Chapter 2, because I'll need it, to test how my sounds work for Ricochet goo balls (Ricochet will be slightly similar to Bit goo).

Meanwhile, I'll need ideas for Wiki World of Goo, because I have few ideas, but I need much more, so if there is anyone, who could 'Donate' their levels to me, then add me on skype (my username is wiki-goo) and send me your goo mod level files (note: if you send me your levels for Donating, please don't upload them on goofans separately afterwards).

And btw, I have so many cool level ideas for my First World of goo from Chapter 1 up to Chapter 3. The first pack of the addin will contain 1st and 2nd chapter, and because 3rd chapter will have around 20 levels in it, it'll be one chapter in the second Pack. The first pack, might be finished in a month time...

The map screen is okay. Kinda expected more. (a few more designing would have helped but just a thought)

So I'm assuming there will be 25 levels (including the challenge levels) on the third chapter? Also are you working on chapter 3 and 4 at the same time? If so no wonder its taking too long.

I like the ideas of the four levels. Just make sure the story is good as the levels. Tongue

I'm expecting great things from this. Hope you get it done this month. Smile

My Profile

I had a new idea for the map screen and am now making a black "mask" image that will go on top of everything. So you only see the buttons through the irregularly-shaped 'holes' in it, which are totally invisible until you unlock the levels. I think it'll make it look better.

And yes, I'm still not sure how I'm going to divide c3 and c4. I'm thinking I'll put another small block of four levels, which I like more, in the place of the ??? part.

I hope the story's good, I like it, but I'm not sure if other people will. And I should be able to get this out by June unless I'm delayed too much by finals.

Okay, here's an early prototype of the mask idea. Sorry about the double-post, sometimes weird things happen when I need to convert an old post to Full HTML.

It looks good just pictures should be fixed. Or you could set it as this and give a lightning type of theme.

My Profile

Somehow I think the first one is better. Anyway you can decide it yourself because it is YOUR new chapter. Wink
And the chapter looks cool, can't wait to get it.

Guys, I have an awesome story for my stuff. My levels, might be less awesome, than APs, but chapter looks are just awesome, all tho, I think I need to improve on the text and make it bolder:

hei, why doesn't the picture show up?! What's the code to show a picture, like AP did? Cuz I quoted him and got the code for picture, but it doesn't work for me! I uploaded my picture on imageshack. Here's the link then:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4448/thegoogiantplant1.png

DavidC set it so that < img > tags only work for moderators, to prevent spam with pictures.

Here's another image. The three I'm inserting over the ??? area are coming along well, the first one is called Magnetic Field. I'll post a picture of it soon.

I'm working on the corners on the grey boxes, those will be smoothed out. But I think it looks better than the spotlights if I'm using the mask image.

A screenshot of Lights Up:

Hey, I recognize that guy! I wonder what he's doing in Another Planet...

Isn't he from MOM4Evr's Handy Chapter Tutorial?

The level looks cools though. Also I see your using lots of levels ending without a pipe. I like the idea but keep a few pipes for a few levels.

My Profile

Yep, it's the Tech ball from NotWog2. When you attach one it starts providing power to devices in the area. In this case, the mechanism to turn off the laserbeams.

This one actually will have a pipe, but I prefer not to add a levelexit until I know where it will be.

Yay, somebody else finds a use for WOG2_Tech! Smile

They're quite useful little guys; I was pretty psyched when whoever it was thought of them, and they turned out pretty good imo.

Wait, MOM, I thought they were your idea? You posted them back in the NotWog2 public discussion once...oh, honestly, I found it yesterday, where is it?

But I agree, they seem fun. I'm using them with a bunch of hinged compositegeoms and anchored buttons to make lights change from red to green when stuff gets activated, which looks really awesome.

Glow balls are now flammable with custom effects, and when they ignite they glow brightly for a moment before dying out completely. No idea what I'll do with this, but it could be useful.

What is the chapter called anyway? That isn't even Snowy chapter! I'd say you call it: "Laser in the Cave" or something like that Smile

Like a Sci-fi sort of thing Wink

This chapter is called Deep Underground. It was Chapter 2 that was snowy. Wink

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the lasers, I just needed a way to turn off a detaching-field when the tech attached.

Ooh, lights. Didn't think of using them for that. Cool idea!

Somebody from the original project a while back thought of the idea (Martin33? Enchanter? Can't remember). I thought of how they'd work and actually made them, though.

I found a use for flammable glowballs, I'm really proud of the level design on this one now. Laughing out loud

That's one of the things I always loved about modding; There's SO MUCH cool stuff you can do with the engine, you just have to think of creative things to do with the Goo Balls you have. A lot of my levels ended up as prototypes just because I thought of a bizarre idea for a Goo Ball, and threw together a level around it without making it well-realized. I have faith that you'll do a better job at AP than that. Wink

Hmm, come to think of it, I probably should have muted the standard geometry explosion noise for the Tech Goo Balls. It would be a global change, which I generally shy away from, but for an entire chapter, it may be a feasible idea. Dunno. *shrugs*
I think they added that noise just for Deliverance (And Product Launcher), since they didn't want the Bit Goo Balls to detonate loudly, but they wanted an explosion noise for the green and red boxes...

Blablaablablablablaabalalalala, I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. From what I remember, and from what I can tell from the XML, if a Goo Ball has no event="detonate" sound specified, the geometry uses a default explosion noise. It always bugged me that the WOG2_TechBomb Goo Balls made the clicking noise and the geometry also made the explosion sound... arrggh but that doesn't even make any sense, since I have the detonate sound set, and other bombs can detonate without the generic geometry-destruction noise playing...

Maybe you can make sense of it. I'm sure I did something quite dumb; that was back when I had to write Goo Ball XML by hand because we didn't have WooBLE. But the fact that the noise played along with my clicking noise always bugged me (Come to think of it, the clicking noise could use some work, too).

I agree, World of Goo has lots of great capabilities. In the block of four that's replacing the "???" I got the physics engine to fully simulate an electric field with objects having various charges, which can be used alongside almost anything from the original game without breaking.

AFAICT, the WoG engine plays SOUND_GLOBAL_EARTHQUAKE whenever a geometry dies, either by geomkiller or explosion. That's a good idea, I could make an invulnerable sticky util ball attached to the geometry that plays the sound (Daft's UtilEarthquake, perhaps) when it dies instead. I think I only have one level with geomkillers right now, Rockslide.

I'm thinking I'll change the Tech Bomb's usage in the mod a bit. I have wire balls with long burntimes that act as electrical conductors, and I might make the Tech ball be a generic "activator" if it comes already-attached in the level (you have to build and connect to it like you would to a bomb).

By the way, does anyone know why BeautyProduct balls are inflammable? There's one level containing them and a fire, IncinerationDestination, but all the Fuses are burned by the time they wake up and if they fall into the fire they hit a deadly geom as well.

Today's progress: new electric field level, new tech level, removed the lensflares from Dark Maze and made the spikes more obvious, cleaned up the mask.

Sweet! Cool stuff!

Are UglyProduct Goo Balls flammable too? I think they're meant to die in VolcanicPercolatorDaySpa, though that doesn't make much sense, since I always figured the flower was for the OCD.

They aren't, neither are the eyes. And Beauties don't have any burning effects, they just die after five seconds or so. It's odd.

Reworking the second branch now, the old mechanic made no sense. I have two possible mechanics I could use, the other will go in chapter 4.

Right, the UglyProducts weren't burnable probably because of VolcanicPercolatorDaySpa.

BeautyProducts do have particle effects for burning: A black poison-looking sort of fire that's far less noticable than it is for Ivies. My guess is that it's left over from some old level or something that got scrapped before the game was released. Dunno.

Maybe.

By the way, what is "ThrusterTest"? If you open up the newest version of WooGLE, click Edit Existing Level, and choose to show only original levels, it's at the bottom. Clicking it brings up an error since there's no such level.

Hmm, sounds like it may be one of mine. Not sure.

Well, I survived my final exams, so I can get back to goomodding. And I still have a week to get APc3 out before the end of the month!

New level, The Twisty Path, with Twisty the Electric Frog. Because really there aren't enough levels with inexplicable frogs in them.