I think minecraft...

20 replies [Last post]

Should have a mode called "Tribes", where people randomly join in and survive among the others players.

This is different from survival mode as players are put against or with each other.

Each 'team' can be made up of as many people as they want, and teams can ally with each other. The goal: gather, build, and attack other enemy teams you despise! The goal is to gather as much rare gems as possible.

When playing, you may start off with certain items that would help you in a specific roles.

Players may build a village in the randomly generated world, fight random block creatures to create better weapons, or fight players for their belongings and conquer the map. Players may also build structures that help find other enemy players and locate these rare gems (though I worry that Add-ons can do this for you anyway)

To win, as I said before, is to OBTAIN the most rare gems possible within player's chests (not inventory). To mine these you will probably need a steady encampment that is well guarded.

What do you guys think? Know that these would be in rounds of 1hr game time, 2hr at max.

Also, how often do you guys play minecraft? I would like to play with you guys some time!

Yes, it should.

I keep wanting Castle Wars on our server here.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Well problem with castle wars is that I am guessing it will involve:

1) too much building

2) not have enough people

what I stated is simply tribes. Although, if you cooperate with a lot of people, you can build a castle...

also, how often do you guys play minecraft? i plan on buying it tomorrow or something.

Just in case you're gonna go waiting for my answer, I don't play/have it. So yeah.

(uses force) you will buy minecraft now.... it is the best game ever... you want it badly.... it will be worth the money..... ok, when i snap my fingers, you will go online and buy minecraft. got it?
1, 2, 3!!! (snap)

-_-

oh, and i play minecraft every week about.

oh, and if you make a server, can i ( and people like mom, red, albino pokey, james, basically people you know) be on it? please?

-_-

@kirdneh: Please don't double-post. The Edit button is there for a reason. Wink
Thx

I host a server occasionally. Not recently because of my lack of a good computer, but I'm getting upgraded RAM this week. (from 1GB to 4GB) I'll host 24/7 most likely. I doubt if anyone would want to visit me on it.

Actually, I tend to restart the world a lot, so maybe we could try an adventure map with all of us, or maybe set the gamemode to creative so we could all build freely. I hate griefers, so I'll white-list it. Suggestions for world-types are welcomed.

LOL kirdneh i actually did go buy minecraft...YESTERDAY though.

maybe we could try an adventure map with all of us.... but what about the goofans server? whats wrong with that one?

The Goofans server is something we don't want to restart. If we use my (private) server, we can just have fun with ourselves, maybe do a pvp or smp game. The Goofans server is also a bit laggy. :#

My IP is mc.redthegreen.com (I'll post when it goes up again)

goofans server = laggy? Waht? And yours wouldn't be? It isn't laggy for me in the slightest unless someone is exploring new areas of the map or something.

Generally, my old laptop (with 4GB of ram, but a crappy OS (vista) and CPU) can run servers pretty well. Little to no lag, except the Goofans server. It probably won't matter when I get my computer upgraded this week, but that's the problem I've had.

Yes. Let's do castle wars! Tongue

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Not castle wars. Lets scale it down, AP. Your going too crazy. Very time consuming and with only like 5 of us its not going to work...lol.

I suggested this mode to notch, let me know what you think (forgive me for the tags this is straight from the forum)

This is a mode suggestion called [size="2"][b]Tribes[/b][/size]. I assume it hasn't been mentioned by Notch or some other official. So!

There will be 4 teams in Tribes, each having 8 players. The goal is tribes is to survive and defeat the other tribes.

[b]Using a point system, the winner will be determined based on:

[u]Player Kills
Destruction
Block Placement[/u]

For a set amount of points. First to reach this set amount of points wins![/b]

For Player kills, this only counts towards enemy tribes members. Each kill is a lot compared to doing the other two. Killing an enemy player drops a life orb. Use this to create stuff. When you kill a player, their body remains where they died.

For destruction, however, its quite different. If you perform an action that destroys blocks placed by an enemy tribe, you gets points. Points do not vary per type of block. Now why would anyone want to place blocks then?

Block Placement grants points for each block you place. You do not get points for each block placed, rather, for every few blocks placed. Points vary as well: you get more points for placing better blocks. However, there is a catch: by destroying your own block or a team mate, you lose those points, setting the net sum to 0. This does count for enemy tribes as well. This also means you have to defend your base and can't just abandon it for no reason: you will lose the points gained from building a big base.

There is another catch with the destruction and block placement. If you attack an enemy block, that entire enemy tribe will be informed by having the block flash red, which can be seen through any material as well as a small text at the top of the screen saying "You are being attacked" or something like that.

Use blocks to protect yourself from enemy arrows, TNT, and lava/water spills and keep diamond swordsmen and teh creepers out!

[b]Just like survival mode, enemy creeps will spawn, such as the spiders and zombies and possibly dragons[/b].

Now the map will actually have limits to how far you can go, so we don't have to walk 5 hours to get to the enemy tribe. The entire map will take about 7-10 minutes to walk across. The depth that you can go down into the world will also be shortened to avoid moles (basically the enemy tribe keeps moving while tunneling deep beneath the ground). Don't worry about trying to find people who do burrow, I'll get to that soon.

[b]For Tribes each player on all teams will receive a [u]MAP[/u] when they spawn.[/b]

Spawn points can be set by each player by spawning on a team mate, and a team mate only. If all team mates are dead, your tribe loses. There is a re spawn counter for 15 seconds (or whatever the set amount of time would be)

[size="4"][b]Along with tribes comes with new recipes[/b][/size].

Detector: Points out enemies on your map when enemies are close to it. The detector has a long range, in which the range is more in the form of an oval, which can farther detect enemies below or above it. Ingredients are cobblestone, compass, and some iron.

Crossbow: A ranged weapon that shoots in set distances. Unlike the bow, it does not shoot as far, but you don't have to charge it. Uses arrows. Ingredients are bow, stick, and iron.

Sword and Shield: A sword combined with a shield, hold right click to decrease damage done to you from the front, but degrades the durability of the item. Ingredients are a sword and the corresponding material used to create it (wood, iron, gold, diamond). Cannot mix types, such as a iron sword with diamond shield.

Spear: A longer ranged melee weapon that deals less damage than a sword. Hold right click to cause very minor damage and push back enemies that melee damage sed to create it (wood, iron, gold, diamond). Cannot mix types, such as a iron sword with diamond spear.

Twin Sword: A sword combined with another sword. Deals more damage than a normal sword, but you cannot defend yourself. you from the front. Ingredients are a sword and the material uIngredients are two of the same kind of sword and the material used to create it (wood, iron, gold, diamond). Cannot mix types, such as a iron sword with diamond twin sword.

Life Orb: Restores all health. Good enough, right?

Revive Orb: A bunch of life orbs. Use it to revive a dead player who hasn't spawned yet by right clicking their dead body. By reviving a player, that player will spawn on you and you will receive points as well as causing the killer's team to lose the points they gained.

Restoration Orb: Causes all equipment, armor, health, and hunger to be restored back to 100%. Made by combining a lot of life orbs.

Fireball Orb: Shoots a fireball which can set things on fire. Ingredients are life orb and flint.

Ice Orb: Shoots an ice ball which freezes things and changes nearby blocks to ice. You get points for converted enemy blocks but you don't get points for destroying the ice, nor the does the enemy. Enemies will be frozen in place for 5 seconds, but not damaged. Ingredients are life orb and snow block.

Earth Orb: Shoots an earth ball which creates massive amounts of sand blocks upon where it lands. It won't create terrain in certain areas if something is in the way, for instance, an enemy, however, it will create blocks around them. Created blocks are considered neutral. Use this to trap or block off entrances for emergency escape. Ingredients are life orb and sand blocks.

(difference between Ice and Earth: One converts terrain and freezes players, One creates terrain and can trap players.)

[size="4"][b]How could this all possibly work[/b][/size]?
First spawn: Each tribe spawns together, on a random point on the map that is not water.

Spamming block building: Creating a huge structure would only make you more visible, and also, does not yield too many points.

Not building at all: When it hits night time... good luck. Also, if an enemy tribe attacks...

So having regular buildings protects you as well as minimize the amount of points enemies can get.

Also know that placing dummy blocks around that enemies might attack will reveal their position to your team.

Design is important! You can create traps or ambushes based on how you set your structure up.

Tunnel camping: worst way to get points. Also the ground is not that deep compared to the other modes. This strategy ensures a loss. Also, if you decide to tunnel camp, the other team will just slowly build their way to victory.

Griefing: The point of the game is to grief...your enemies! With other people!

Rare ores: Since the ground isn't as deep as normal, it will be easier to gather rare resources like diamonds and redstone. This should make gameplay much quicker.

Teaming up with other tribes: A good tactic that only goes so far. Names will be color coded for each team to identify each other.

Friendly Fire: No such thing. This prevents a lot of things.

DoucheBags who ruin the mode for your team: A kick system that will cover every tribe member's screen with a "do you want to kick this person for [insert reason here written by the kicker]" with a yes or no button. Needs more than half the team to vote yes (with 8 people, 5 yes minimum). Kicking the player will drop life orbs and his stuff in his place. He/She cannot respawn ever again.

Ok...

[size="4"][b]Setting up your base[/b][/size]:

You are going to want above ground structure as well as underground structure. Why both?
-By going above ground, you can spot enemies coming toward you. But what if they try to burrow into your den?
-By having detectors and an underground section, possible filled with traps, you can defeat the enemy tribe with ease
-Also, by having above structure, there is much more room for building and grants more points for building.
-Ranged attacks underground = horrible
-Going underground into an enemy base is very dangerous. You don't know where you will pop out. In fact, the enemy may have placed dummy blocks as a foundation for their base, so they can pretty much see where you are going underground without a detector.

[size="4"][b]Why attack other players[/b][/size]? Just build build build! Be a care bear!
1) Kill player
2) Take life orb
3) ????
4) Profit!

also, by attacking their structures you get destruction points!
LOOT their stuff! Free items!

Also, if you manage to slay every member in that tribe, the rest of their blocks are yours for destroying for free easy points!

[size="4"][b]So how many points do you need to win[/b][/size]?

Each round, meaning, until the winning team is decided, will take from 30 minutes to 2 hours:

-Goes quick if you guys actually try
-Goes slow if you guys are more content on fortifying your base. In which case, the enemy tribe might be stocking up on explosives and weaponry.

[size="4"][b]Oh, and by the way[/b][/size]:

Since the map size is decreased, there are limited resources. Meaning, you can't create a giant skyscraper that touches the ceiling of the map unless you do it in like 1 block increments. You will be seen, and possibly killed/looted/teabagged.

Also, the thing with glass...It blocks players, see through and grants no points when destroyed or placed. This could be useful in many situations. However! This is one of the few blocks that don't alert the enemy team when attacked! Careful...

[size="2"][b]Fun tactics you can use[/b]:[/size]

[b]Enemy has made their base into the side of a mountain[/b]? Climb into it by raising yourself using 1 block increments. Go on top of the mountain, and start digging downwards. Ninjas flying down from the ceiling: priceless.
[b]
TNT chain[/b]: Guys invading your base? Last resort? Light em up in a bang, and possibly wipe out every enemy tribe member in a giant explosion! lol!

[b]Traps[/b]: Bottomless pits: Piston with a random shaft deep enough to have someone killed. Bucket of lava? I would love to see dump lava down a slope that splashes down onto enemies.

[size="2"][b]Some issues to be solved if this is implemented[/b][/size]:

Turtling. What is Turtling? Creating a defensive structure so hellbent on defense that attacks will never get past, ever. Huge problem: If you want to replace broken blocks, your going to have to be outside with the enemy. Also, if you run into a wall while destroying the block, you can prevent the defender from replacing the block immediately. Also, if that doesn't work, there is always TNT.

Would there be a lobby? Maybe you can play with your friend? Reserve slot team for friends?

How about map size? What if its a 2v2v2v2, or a 4v4? Map size should vary by the number of people in it.

Would people cooperate? I have played this kind of mode in other games, and as time goes on and as more people get used to it and watch youtube videos people do cooperate, but not as you expect. Its more of a silent, natural 'I know what to do' kind of thing. You can always just follow someone around and help out. Simple tasks like 'i need wood' might engage team members to gather wood with you or for you. A good team would have a good balance of scouts, builders, and gatherers.

Killing team mates with explosives? A reason to get you kicked. And why not? No griefer and life orbs.

Life orbs OP? Spam heal ftw? Nope! Remember you only get life orbs when you kill other players/kick someone off your team. If you die, the enemy team can loot whatever drops from your body + a life orb. So if you have like 15 life orbs and you die by a TNT explosion, the enemy team gets all your stuff, your 15 life orbs, and an extra one. So don't hog em and use them wisely.

[b]Why even bother putting something like this? We like minecraft the way it is! Minecraft should be simple creative fun![/b]
Then don't play Tribes mode. If you don't like playing AGAINST other people WITH other people, then play some other mode. I believe that minecraft should be open to all kinds of modes that allow different situations. For instance, creative mode allows people to just let them pour out their ideas without interruption. Survival mode allows the player to play the game normally, no battles or anything. Tribes mode allows people to play minecraft with each other against each other. Capture the flag (as proposed by Notch) allows people to play a classic mode in the world of minecraft, without the gathering of resources and building grand structures (unless you can). Problem, minecraft miner?

[size="2"]Most importantly, [b]how would this be fun?[/b][/size]
Often times in games like these where all you do is build mine kill creepers it starts to get...stale. Placing large amounts of blocks has become more of a task than a challenge. With a mode like this, you get to do all of that but now you have to plan, think, and [b]ultimately see if you can play minecraft better than everyone else[/b]. [u]This is something that people can have tournaments with[/u]. [b]In competitive aspects[/b], this would challenge your ability to:
1) Plan. Where are you going to set up? Next to a lot of trees, a mountain, or a lake? How will you attack the enemy?
2) Management. Do you know what to do, or are you just going to run around and achieve nothing?
3) Design. Is your base going to be some clumps of dirt, or an actual base with traps and well placed detectors?
4) Cooperation. Can you keep your tribe together to defeat the other tribes?

And last but not least:
How hard would it be to implement?

The only new things would be the spawn system, lobby, point system, seeds to generate the appropriate map size as well as boundaries, a couple of new items and of course the life orbs, teams, detectors and attacking enemy blocks will alert them... there is nothing more than that, I believe (forgive me if I missed something).

[size="2"][b]Thank you[/b][/size] for reading this waterfall of text! I hope Notch considers this mode which I believe is perfect(good) for this game. Anything similar to this would be awesome to have in Minecraft.

-Dowitz

I am not reading all of that. Tongue

YES YOU ARE.

Sounds awesome, Howitz (Btw, do you prefer Howitz or Dowitz?). This is probably quite possible with a small amount of modding/hacking. It might be worth posting on the minecraft forums for potential modders to think about making. And some mods (Like pistons and trapdoors) have ended up in the game before! Smile

I can mod it, if you want. I've made mods before, but just things like map height and creeper-spawning frequency. And didn't he just say he posted this on the forums already?

@MOM either one. I officially go by Dowitz, however.

For some reason it won't let me post it up yet. I'll have to wait.

what about h/d owitz?

-_-

Or srand(time(NULL));((rand%2)==2?'D':'H')owitz?

I wouldn't be able to use either of those anyway.