Minecraft Server

54 replies [Last post]

i have opened up a white-list server. i can add a few of you guys to my whitelist if you give me your user, i'll add you.
97.94.210.92 is the server number thing.
rules: no cussing, no griefing, have fun.
if you see someone named gigo64, he's my friend, cameron.
only 7 people can be on at a time, as i am running it on windows xp (my old computer died Sad )
it probably will be on from 6 am to 9 pm.

it might take a few times to try to log in, but it will work.
have fun!!!
Kirdneh

-_-

A word of advice about servers:

Change the limit to 20 people. It won't make the server lag. The people are simply entities (1 in 100s in Minecraft). If you want to reduce lag, lower the viewdistance by a few levels (this is how many chunks in front of you that you can load at a time). Also go into Task Manager and increase the priority of javaw.exe.

I'll join. Enchanter49 is my name.

And overclock as much as possible. I'm sure it's safe. Innocent

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Haha, I just found out that because of an enchantment, you can get grass blocks and other items legitimately. Silk Touch.

it's a creative server, by the way.
any body beat minecraft by the way? their is a way. just go to (removed for spoiler) and defeat (removed for spoiler) and you unlock the (removed for spoiler) and get 2,000 (removed for spoiler).

-_-

Red: Yep!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I beat it in Creative mode twice. In Survival, I have yet to relieve a blaze of its rod. I have around 4 Ender Orbs though.

sorry red. i didn't mean to destroy your painting. Sad

-_-

Haha it's fine.

ok.
anybody else who uses minecraft?

-_-

Let's determine this by process of elimination...

Not me.

Hee, hee.
For the time being, not me, since I'm on limited-bandwidth internet (read: no online gaming), my good gaming computer is 3 hours away, and after reinstalling Linux on it, I misspelled the password, so now I can't even log onto it, and it freezes constantly if I try playing it on Windows on that computer. I'm going to eventually try to install Linux again to solve this, but for the time being, I'm stuck.

So basically, not me.

james? u there? i know YOU play minecraft.

-_-

Catch him on Skype. JamesOfGoo.

anybody know where the correct place to get winRAR is? i'm downloading a minecraft mod. i want to get the original place so i don't get viruses. or does it not matter?

-_-

I wouldn't use WinRAR. Get 7-Zip. It's free and does more.

7-Zip is the best archive program ever. Any other is either shareware, virus-filled, and/or just sucks.

Except built-in ones. Such as ZIP in Windows and TAR/GZ in Linux.

WinRAR has great compression speeds. Don't listen to AP, besides, they're both free...

http://www.inshame.com/2009/02/7-zip-vs-winrar.html has a few pros and cons for each. WinRAR is the most popular, they both have command-line versions, both are fast for some types, etc.

I vote WinRAR as RARs are faster and the interface is better in my opinion.

lala, can I play too? Martin33 Laughing out loud

Quote:

But WINRAR first of all is not free...

I have WinRAR, it is free.

Is it an evaluation version? Did it come on your computer? Is it a pirated copy?

The page you just linked to said that it isn't. It's shareware.

well, i don't have any money left (HIB3), so i might get 7-ZIP. i just want to download a few files, nothing huge.
EDIT: w00t!!! saw a vid by captain sparklez (the guy who made this song:

) about a really hard mod and he got to level 10. i'm on level 30 now, and i haven't broken a sweat. i'm going to download a bunch of stuff.

-_-

It's freeware, despite what the website says. It's labeled as commercial, although you get all the functions for free use without any trial end dates and from their website, so it's basically free. AP, you need to learn to internet.

Your petty arguments are useless. 7-Zip is open source, so obviously it 0wns.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Except built-in ones. Such as ZIP in Windows and TAR/GZ in Linux.

puggsoy wrote:
7-Zip is the best archive program ever. Any other is either shareware, virus-filled, and/or just sucks.

Yes, because the fact that it's open-source has ANYTHING to do with it's features.

I CAN HAZ OPINION TOO:
-WinRAR requires an account to download, therefore I didn't download it, and assume it sucks. Also, Windows-only = lame.
-.rar files don't always open well in Linux or Mac, since the archive format is non-free, and you have to download some not-techically-legal stuff to be able to open the flipping archives. You can't open some of the newer .rar files at all. Having a shareware program for a non-open-source format is just a good way to shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to having the open-source community like you.
-.zip is nice and cross-platform. Windows' ZIP extractor/creator wizards ARE ABSOLUTELY USELESSLY WORTHLESSLY STUPID. Kubuntu's Ark (which I use) is an intelligent archiver that can actually autodetect subfolders inside archives (what a concept!), not to mention that it's a zillion times faster and is non-blocking if you try to do something else during the extraction.
-.7z is the best kind of archive, and 7-zip has several different options for compression for .7z. 7-zip is THE BEST TOOL EVAH, unfortunately Windows-only. Linux's 7-zip is commandline, which isn't terribly wonderful. But .7z is an open-source format, so Ark can use it too.
-Why can't Windows' built-in compression utility zip/unzip .tar's/.gz's/.7z'z/.rar's? Because it's useless. Pathetically useless.

So my vote is 7-zip for Windows, or Ark if you're in Linux KDE. .rar is just a volatile format for anyone who doesn't have WinRAR. From what I've seen, .rar files aren't that great of compression anyway.

Oh, and did I mention pauseable/resumable compression and decompression for 7-zip, and it's also insanely fast with any option you want for archives? Non-blocking so you can keep working? An intelligent file manager built-in? 7-zip is just epic.

Also, me loves that Minecraft video. *watches for the millionth tiem*

Do you guys ever internet? MOM, you especially. I thought you knew something.

WinRAR IS cross-platform, and even has a GUI ready for Mac and Linux. It doesn't require an account to download either... And once again, because having it be open-source TOTALLY affects the application itself.

Hmm, my mistake. Last I looked, it required an account.

Also, just because WinRAR has a Linux version available is not the same as saying that the .rar format is cross-platform. If the .rar format was worth anything, anybody could open a .rar from a simple tool, rather than having to "sudo apt-get install rar-nonfree" or download a specific tool to even be able to open the file.

*tries something to test a theory of his*

Also, no WinRAR .deb for Linux shows laziness on their part, fyi. .tar.gz's have to be manually installed for most common Linux distros.

EDIT: The WinRAR Linux download is a commandline utility, actually appears to be the same as the "rar-nonfree" package in non-deb form. Do you have a download link for the GUI?

I think the Linux version is command-line only. The link below is the only download I could find, so you would have to check. Sorry about the false information, but it looks like nothing to the information you guys had.

http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?id=predownload&dl=/rar/rarlinux-4.0.1.t...
32-bit ^

EDIT: Oh, and I know RAR files are glitchy, but that has nothing to do with the program itself. My friend's computer (mac) opens RAR files successfully around 1/3 of the time.