Minecraft Server

54 replies [Last post]

I think it was actually slow internets last I looked that threw me off. I saw the signup thingy and the download didn't start right away. Shareware doesn't always mean free anymore, either. A lot of programs have "shareware" demos that only last for 30 days and stuff like that. Simple mistake.

*falls over, shooting bullets all over the place* no hard feelings...

Oh, and bug: No final endl for error messages after commandline rar exits. Tsk, tsk.
I'm running some tests nao, brb...

EDIT: Test results!

Test 1: A couple small bitmaps I created in GIMP - one 256x256 solid white and one 256x256 with the default Land texture (from the Create menu). I tried compressing with default settings:

land.rar file size: 127.6 KB
land.7z file size: 130.2 KB
blank.rar file size: 232 B
blank.7z file size: 242 B

and compression level = max:

land.rar file size: 127.5 KB
land.7z file size: 130.2 KB
blank.rar file size: 183 B
blank.7z file size: 242 B

Note: The original size for both land.bmp and blank.bmp was 192.1 KB each (because of no BMP compression)

So I stand corrected: the .rar format is good for small files. I think this has to do with the 7-zip header being 64 rather than 32 bit or something; I read about it one day a couple years back when I was bored.

Test 2: NightSkyHD_Linux from HIB4. I compressed the entire folder with everything in it. Original size: 153.1 MB. Results:

NS.rar file size: 116.1 MB Time: ~34 sec Ratio: %75.8
NS.7z file size: 104.2 MB Time: ~39 sec Ratio: %68.1

Then under full compression:

NS2.rar file size: 116.0 MB Time: ~34 sec Ratio: %75.8
NS2.7z file size: 102.9 MB Time: ~60 sec Ratio: %67.2

So to extrapolate one test example gloriously, I'd say that .rar files are smaller than .7z files for smaller files, but as the test examples grow in size, .7z files exceed .rar in compression, while .rar files compress faster. Max compression on .rar doesn't do much for large files, while for .7z, it decreases file size slightly and increases time tremendously. The opposite is true for small files (aside from compression speed; that doesn't matter much in small files).

So thar. MOM has spoken. Both are better.

Also, completely unscientifically, just from my experience, I think .zip falls into the middle of .7z and .rar someplace in time and compression speed. I won't compare other formats, like tar/gz, as those are generally used just to hold source code and squeeze a bit of the fat out, rather than being a "big grand compression scheme" or anything.

-MOM the test compressor

WHEN did you have the time to do all this awesome testing? Tongue

-_-

In the past few minutes. Wait, what day is it?

Yeah, Windows zipping sucks. I just tried to extract an old version of Minecraft from a big ZIP I made and Windows couldn't open it in 5 minutes. 7-Zip had no noticeable delay.

The only reason I like it is because it fits into Windows Explorer seamlessly, while 7-Zip doesn't. That means the copying in and out has a few glitches.

And it's 12/19/2011, if you're wondering. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

GASP! I knew it! It was 12/18/2011 when I started. (Actually, still is here)

I like Ark a lot, since it can support most formats, integrates with Dolphin (the default KDE file manager), and autodetects subfolders in archives. Really nice. I thought 7-zip added options to the right-click menu in Windows Explorer though? Or am I thinking of something else?

reading AP's and MOM's post made me look at my watch. been on for the past 6 hours. i think i lost 5 pounds for not taking a food break (and i haven't blinked in 10 minutes Tongue

-_-

It still is here, too. Tongue

And it does. It's just some little things when I transfer between 7-Zip windows and Explorer windows, or 7-Zip and other applications such as Firefox.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

i thought this was a war on the programs, not the file formats. Tongue but good to know. Maybe run a comparison test for the two later?

The two programs? They're both command-line on Linux here, so no difference really, except the failure to add a newline on rar's part when an error occurs. Fairly similar commandline switches, even.

Hee, hee, kidding. Maybe I will next time I boot to Windows. I should probably stop jumping to conclusions about programs I've never used, rite? Tongue

Exactly.

Open-source programs are awesome because it helps people improve the program.
Also, the developers don't care about money or accounts, only about the program and if it's good. That way, you know that the only thing they concentrate on is the development of the program, and thus it's the best it can be.
That's also why Firefox and Audacity rock.

But I'm not saying all open-source is the best choice. Obviously, the program has to be good and fit the users needs. For example, if it wasn't for lots of things I can't be stuffed to list, I would use Linux instead of Windows.
But if you give me two programs that pretty much do the same thing, I will choose the open-source one.

RedTheGreen wrote:
My friend's computer (mac) opens RAR files successfully around 1/3 of the time.

I've rarely had problems with .rar files, maybe 1/10th of the time (probably less).

Thanks for your guys' input! My mods are working well, and i will try to add them to my server once i am done with my project: "write a 7 page diary chronicling the lifof someone fighting in the alamo." ugg. to make it more interesting, my guy gets shot (quote:The siege rages on. I used to defend the top part of the wall but then I took an arrow to the knee.) Tongue

-_-

Yeah, your server hasn't been on in a while. Tongue

i am working on it. problems have become aerodynamic.. i'll email you or post here when it is finished with the problems. hopefully it will be on by new year's.

-_-

kirdneh wrote:
problems have arised.

I lol'd. It's supposed to be "arisen".

So sorry, I have a terrible habit of correcting such grammar mistakes.

And the first clause of your second sentence is nothing but an object. You need a subject and a predicate. Tongue

"Another Planet" in your signature is technically supposed to be in quotes or underlined, AP.
It's also bad grammar to start a sentence with "and."

I CAN HAZ GOOD GRAMMERZ!

Sometimes I do correct stuff like that I see. I chose to ignore it this time. Good call, puggsoy. Albeit picky.

*Edits kirdneh's post to make it worse* There, better now?

I edited again!
MOM also started a sentence with a conjunction, which is incorrect. "Addin reference guide" should be in quotes, "Yamako" isn't a word, and "Steam" by itself isn't a sentence.(We all are really picky today.) In this sentence, there isn't a single error, so beat that!
MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HACK HARK HOUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH...

Tongue

-_-

Actually, periods should never be to the left of parenthesis, periods are not supposed to be inside parenthesis, and there is no space between the period and the opening parenthesis in your last sentence, so the last sentence of yours technically does have an error in it, as well as containing a contraction, which is usually considered lazy grammar, while this sentence is a run-on, but I like run-on sentences, and I can go for hours and hours and write entire pages that contain only a single sentence because I am just that awesome and the sky is blue and that really has nothing to do with me being awesome and awesomeness is a debatable adjective because some may disagree entirely, therefore it is subjective, while hark is a cool thing to do while coughing because it gets me more in the Christmas mood, and even though these posts are off-topic, I find it fun and all that and I doubt that kirdneh cares about it being off-topic anyway, as he is the one who started the topic in the first place, and by the way I will not continue going on pages and pages with this sentence because I am getting bored now so there.

MOM, this has gone on too far! TIME TO EAT CHILI!

WITH SYRUP!

kirdneh wrote:
...In this sentence, there isn't a single error, so beat that!
MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HACK HARK HOUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH...
Tongue

Notice that I only said THIS sentence was correct, not the other ones. Tongue
we should all stop nagging each other now. Tongue

-_-

I only mentioned errors that were in that sentence.
And yes, nagging should be over. Anybody have anything to say about the Minecraft server?