Homework help

14 replies [Last post]

I have homework that I need to finish till monday
Can you help me?
I need to ask at least 20 people these questions

1. What are some of the Customs celebrated at church during the season of Christmas?
2. Why is it such an inportant feast?
3. Why do we receive presents at christmas? Or is it because of st. Nicolas
4. Why do we have a tree in our house at christmas?
5. How Long is the season of christmas- why?
6. What prayers do we say at christmas?

So before I respond or anything, are we supposed to try to answer the questions to the best of our knowledge without looking it up (kinda like a survey to see who knows how much), or are we supposed to know the answers?

just try without looking it up
I'm thinking about cheating the homework by adding fake answers
because in goofans there's no 20 users that could post here till monday
or if you email DaB and david joins in

If we won't manage, then i'll cheat some or ask my friends.
wait a minute, you are my friends

MODEDIT: NOTE: If you haven't given your answers yet, do so before reading any of the following posts, so your ideas aren't accidentally changed by anything you read in following comments. It's just more statistically correct that way.

1) Singing carols, praying (of course), sometimes a Christmas play or pageant
2) The ancient Roman Saturnalia was at the saame time, and it was kind of like an ancient Thanksgiving celebration. Jesus was supposedly born during the festival, so the Christians copied a lot of the customs.
3) Same as above, it was a Saturnalia celebration.
4) Again, the Saturnalia. It was a festival of Saturn, god of the harvest. But the calendar was messed up later when they added July and August.
5) It depends who is celebrating. FOr some it's one week, for some two, for some twelve days, for some five, etc.
6) It depends who is doing the praying, and at what time (Christmas Eve at church vs. at night, etc.)

Hope this helps.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

that is weird, one event copies another event's traditions and the copy lives on while the original dies out...
trivia: the reason why Santa has a white and red costume is because of coca-cola, and rudolph the rad nose raindeer was created by a hardware store.

-_-

Well, don't cheat if you don't have to. Not a good habit. You can always ask school friends, family members, call/text people you know, etc.

Anyhoo, here's my answers (I don't know several of these, sadly):

1. I'm assuming you mean church traditions and such. Only ones I know of are singing Christmas carols, lighting the (five, I think?) Christmas candles (They have some kind of significance, but we've only done it one year a while ago, so I can't remember too well). Our church usually puts on a Christmas play or such that the kids and teens participate in.

2. Well, if Jesus hadn't come to Earth on Christmas and lived a human life, then He wouldn't have been able to die on the cross for the sins of the world, which is the core message of Christianity. Therefore, it's pretty important.

3. Gift-giving was pretty common around certain holidays in Jewish times. In the Bible, the book of Esther, for example, concludes (Esther 9:22) with a description of the holiday Purim that was created because of the events in the book. The holiday consisted of "feasting and joy and giving presents of food to one another and gifts to the poor." The gifts from the Magi may also have played a part in starting this tradition, though technically they came to Bethlehem about a couple years after the actual birth of Christ.
From what I've heard, St. Nicholas started the tradition of filling stockings with presents by putting coins into people's stockings that they hung to dry.

4. I'm not really sure. It may have been a cause of some pagan holiday, but I can't really remember.

5. I'm not really sure where the 12 days of Christmas got started, either.

6. Not being Catholic, I don't know of any special prayers or anything; some Protestant churches lose such traditions. I'd like to hear about any, though.

kirdneh wrote:
that is weird, one event copies another event's traditions and the copy lives on while the original dies out...
trivia: the reason why Santa has a white and red costume is because of coca-cola, and rudolph the rad nose raindeer was created by a hardware store.

Actually, the Santa stuff was also the Saturnalia. They thought that Saturn, an old guy with a beard, would come down from the north pole with his reindeer every year.

They also made gingerbread men to celebrate.

I researched this once out of curiosity and was completely amazed by how many of these traditions are ancient. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

This looks extremely Christian, as it's about Christmas. I'm out.

Wait, isn't asking friends cheating? Isn't the point of homework to check what you know, not what your friends know?

that's the point
to ask at least 20 people these questions and collate into a chart
cheating in this homework could be false evidence

RedTheGreen wrote:
This looks extremely Christian, as it's about Christmas. I'm out.

Actually, when you take AP's response into account, it may not be inherently "Christian" at all. C'mon, we're just helping Dan out with his homework here. Nothing to make a big stand against or anything like that. Wink

I mean, your 2nd answer goes against my beliefs. I will send your name to Allah for judgement later on.

So my second answer prevents you helping Dan out with his homework? Tongue Don't make much sense to me.

I mean, talking about Jesus and whatnot.

But me talking about Jesus prevents you from helping Dan? Tongue
EDIT: Discussion resolved on Steam chat. Please hack into the Steam servers and illegally download the logs that they probably don't keep of the discussion for further information.