0/0=?

23 replies [Last post]

Hello guys. I have a question for you. What does 0/0 equal? I personally think it equals one. I want you guys to spread this question to other forums to see what they think about this question, like minecraft forum or even 4chan.

AKA "Goobomber" practically everything else

T̶h̶e̶ G̶o̶o̶b̶r̶i̶d̶s̶:̶ C̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ 's̶o̶o̶n̶' (̶V̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ T̶i̶e̶m̶)̶ ...if WoG 2 has modding support and I can remember what ideas I had a decade ago, maybe? No clue, I was like 12

Profile pic from Ne

No reason to input opinions about it; it's mathematically accepted that 0/0 is undefined. However, if you take the limit of, say 3/(3-X) as X approaches 3, it's 1, which you'll get into if you take university-level Calculus. Really fun and cool stuff. Anyways, it basically depends on the different forms of 0 that you'd be dividing by. In the same way, infinity divided by infinity is also undefined; it would depend on which infinity is bigger. Interestingly enough, you can take the derivative of both top and bottom of a quotient as long as it's in 0/0 or infinity/infinity form, and the limit (as X approaches whatever) of the result will be the same as the limit of the integral. Fun math stuff that I've mostly forgotten entirely because it's been a couple years. But basically, it's not up for debate or opinion; it's just mathematically undefined.

Also, remember that division is the inverse of multiplication. 2*3=6, so 6/3=2.

1*0=0, true. But also 2*0=0, 3*0=0, -1*0=0, i*0=0, and 1000000*0=0. So which one do you choose?

Same deal with infinity/infinity.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

The reason I think that zero devided by zero is one is becuase anything devided by itself is 1, like 2/2, 3/3, 1/1, etc. So, I think the 0/0=1. I also think that infinity/infinity=1 becuase any number devided by itself is one.

T̶h̶e̶ G̶o̶o̶b̶r̶i̶d̶s̶:̶ C̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ 's̶o̶o̶n̶' (̶V̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ T̶i̶e̶m̶)̶ ...if WoG 2 has modding support and I can remember what ideas I had a decade ago, maybe? No clue, I was like 12

Profile pic from Ne

0/0 equals whatever you want, like:
1/infinity.

-_-

WOw, we posted our answers at the same time, Albino Pokey.

Profile pic from Ne

and so did we:P

-_-

Defined in IEEE 754:
0/0=NaN (Not a Number) (Because any number*0=0, so 0/0 is a set of all numbers)
1/0=+Infinity (There are infinite zeros in one)
-1/0=-Infinity

So:
Infinity/Infinity=(1/0)/(1/0)=(1/0)*(0/1)=(1*0)/(0*1)=0/0=NaN
1/Infinity=(1/1)/(1/0)=(1/0)*(0/1)=(1*0)/(0*1)=0/0=NaN

Anything divided by 0 is undefined. Why? Well, just look at what division is at it's simplest (and most true) level.

Division is sharing stuff into equal pieces. Any division can be defined like this: [number of apples]/[number of people] = [number of apples per person]. So, the equation 2/2 = 1 means that sharing 2 apples between 2 people results in each person getting one. As another example, if you share 25 apples between 4 people, each will get 6 apples plus a quarter cut (25/4 = 6.25).

However, what if you had 2/0? That is, how do you share 2 apples between no people? Well, if there are no people to divide the apples by, then there's no division happening at all. Therefore 1/0, 0/0, or any division with 0 as the denominator, is undefined, since it isn't actually a division.

0/0=goofans?

I made goomods.

Nope, 0/0 = Nothing. Because you didn't actually divide anything.

ahhh! there is no answer!

-_-

Of course there isn't. The question isn't valid. Zero is undefined, which is why dividing by zero can't happen. Having zero in the numerator for any fraction is the same as zero on its own. With these two rules in mind, 0/0 is an undefined number, but implied as having the value of zero.

That 0/0 fraction might be the same s a infinidenth.

I made goomods.

K. But just think about it--if zero were over zero, then it would be over itself, meaning that it would be one. Basically if anything is devided by zero, then the number would be undefined becuase if zero is the number needed for a whole number(Think fractions), then what would the number beyond zero over zero equal?

P.S: I haz noes ideaz whats I just saidz Tongue

Profile pic from Ne

Since zero is undefined, it can't follow the rule regarding whole numbers over themselves being equal to one. Simple as that.

Hey, anybody else heard of the book "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea"? It talks about stuff like division by zero, how zero basically crushes the numberline when multiplying, and other stuff like how a wormhole could theoretically allow you to travel through time (like what we were talking about in the other thread).
I haven't read the book completely, when I did read it I was pretty young (11/12/13 maybe) so I wasn't really as interested or educated about this stuff. I'd like to read it again though.

ill look it up online. it sounds cool.

-_-

well, if you input two 0s into an equation, any equation, whether it be 0+0, 0-0, or 0*0, it always comes out as zero. So if there is a pattern in this, then 0/0 should also equal zero, as you are putting 0 things into 0 groups. And if you think about it as 0/5, or 0/1723, then zero things going into 5 groups will result in 0 groups, as there is noting to group. The only way this theory could be incorrect is that when you actually divide 0 by 0, it just goes on forever as 0s, which may or may not play a role.
Although that is just an 11 year old's theory

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

what about 0^0? that is one.

-_-

Or what about 00?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Because: / is the reverse operation of *
Because: Any real number*0=0
So: 0/0 is a set of real numbers I think.

Except, if 0/0 were to equal 0, then:

0 = 0 Given
0/0 = 0 Substitution
1/1 = 0 Substitution, any number divided by itself is 1
1 = 0 Substitution

Did it all with substitution. Hear that guys? One is equal to zero. Tongue

wait, then that means:
5+1=5
that wrecks the whole number system! that means no matter what, all the questions on every test were wrong AND right! IN YOUR FACE, MATH TEACHER!!! TROLOLOLOLOL.....

-_-