paradoxes/ weird concepts/ stuff that makes you think

48 replies [Last post]

the whole 0/0 thing has got me thinking about paradoxes. which ones do you know?
1. this!statement! is! false! (glados)
2. new mission: refuse this mission.
3. does a set of all sets include itself?
4. two peoples' conversation:
person A: you are wrong.
person B: you are right.
5. If a crocodile steals a child and promises its return if the father can correctly guess what the crocodile will do, how should the crocodile respond in the case that the father guesses that the child will not be returned?
6. i am lying.
7. The next statement is true. The previous statement is false
8. What would happen if Pinocchio said "My nose will be growing"?
9. I know that I know nothing at all.
10. real life situation: (it literaly happened in the middle of posting): i had to go water a tree, so i turned it on, and escaped being wet from the sprinkler in front of it as it didn't have enough pressure yet. it was a two part hole fixture (it think that is what it is called) and one hose powered the sprinkler, and one powered the hose i used to water the tree. after a minute, i walked over to the fixure to turn it off, but i realized something: i didn't want to get wet, but i wanted to turn the water off. to turn off the sprinkler i had to get wet, so i thought "why not turn off the sprinkler so i don't get wet?" so i walked forward and realized i had to get wet first. i then said "what the heck, here goes nothing" and went through the sprinkler, but it WAS a real life paradox.
11. x=x+1
12. 20 go to 10
13. to open the door, you need the key. to get the key, you must open the door.
14. which came first, the chi- meh, you know the rest.
15. what happens if you create a time machine and kill yourself as a baby?
16. If asking oneself "Am I dreaming?" in a dream proves that one is, what does it prove in waking life?
17. ignore all rules.
18. if you write, "this page left intentionally blank, is it blank?
19. what happens if you are afraid of fear?
20. who would win in a staring contest, if there were two endermen?
21. A man travels back in time to discover the cause of a famous fire. While in the building where the fire started, he accidentally knocks over a kerosene lantern and causes a fire, the same fire that would inspire him, years later, to travel back in time.
22. if you tell walt disney about mickey mouse before he made it, who made it?
23. if you give yourself a potato after traveling 5 minutes into the past, and 5 minutes ago you were given a potato that you gave to yourself 5 minutes later, where did it come from?
24. what if you, after making a time machine, give yourself the blueprints a week before you came with the idea?
25. you take a picture of a picture a week in the future. a week later, you leave the picture the spot the picture was when you took a picture. would it be a picture of itself?
26. a man falls in love with a woman after time traveling 40 years ago, and they have a boy. turns out, the woman is his mother, and he had birth to himself. 40 years after that, the brother travels into the past and falls in love with a woman. they have a kid and...
27. a boy goes into the past and becomes friends with a boy. at his friend's birthday, he sings the happy birthday song, but the song hasn't been invented. the time-traveler says he has to go home, and he goes to an alley and goes back to his time-period so no one would see him time travel. years later, the boy who the happy birthday song grew up to be a man, and played the song on the radio, and he made it and people used it. MORE years later, the song was known by a boy who discovered time traveling and went to the past, and he was the original boy in this paradox.
28. a man actcidently creates a paradox. he goes to the past and destroys the time machine before his past self finishes it.
29. you time travel to the past, but before you do, you take a deep breath. you breathe out, and go back to the present. it turns out that one of the CO2 molecules in the breath eventually floated over to your lab, and before time traveling, you breathe it in. now in the past there is two of the same atom. this keeps happening, and eventually the whole world is filled with that carbon-dioxide atom, and every one dies in the past. but, since your great great grandfather died, you didn't build the time machine, and the catastrophe didn't occur. since it didn't, your grand father lived, and so did you to build the time machine. you take a deep breath, and... (i made that one myself. since it is two paradoxes at once, i call that a "figure 8 paradoxical loop.)
30. you go 5 minutes into the past. you and your past self see each other, and as you have a weak heart and you are old, you both die of a heart attack. did you then die twice? (if you think about it for a long time, it is also a FEPL)
31. "one often finds his destiny on the way to avoid it"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
32. i got nothing right now. about half of them i made up (mostly near the end), and the other i got off the web, and my brain hurts. i will probably stay up for a few nights, thinking about them, and pass out onto the floor within 5 days. any i missed? i really like the time travel ones the best. ouch.

-_-

3) is supposed to be "does the set of all sets which do not contain themselves contain itself?" It's a variation on the barber's paradox: a single male barber in a town shaves only those men who do not shave themselves. Who shaves the barber?

5) Give the child to someone else to return--then someone else returned it.

11) X is the "black hole number" for addition (like 0 is to multiplication and 1 to exponentation), which theoretically (IIRC) should exist. EDIT: Infinity.

12) isn't a paradox, it's a loop. Just like while(true); is.

20) neither, they are both frozen until one looks away, which never happens.

21) why not? It already happened.

Other Time Travel Ones) IMO, the Predestination Paradox is right. You can't change the past, it already happened. Thus you can't change the future either: it will be already. You can only cause it. Therefore my future self can't kill my past self--my past self already survived, and that can only be caused, not changed. Something would stop me, because it already did. That's how I think of it, anyway.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Also, here is a good one
To get across the room, you have to get to a halfway point
but to get to that halfway point, you have to get to the halfway point of the halfway point
but before you get to that halfway point, you have to get to the halfway point of the halfway point of the halfway point
So in theory, you cannot move, because to get to one point, you first have to make is to the halfway point.

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

Albino Pokey, these are Paradoxes/ weird concepts/ stuff that makes you think, so I guess 12 works

Computer! Y U get virus?

thenoobtester wrote:
Also, here is a good one
but to get to that halfway point, you have to get to the halfway point of the halfway point
but before you get to that halfway point, you have to get to the halfway point of the halfway point of the halfway point
So in theory, you cannot move, because to get to one point, you first have to make is to the halfway point.

Assuming that the detail of the universe is infinite, that is. Id est, there's a length you can't get smaller than. Wink

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Gah, noes. My teacher started talking about 4th-dimensional hypercubes the other day and how you can unfold them into three dimensions kinda like how you can unfold a cube into two dimensions. My mind has been blown enough for one week. Tongue

But about the chicken vs egg thing - it'd be extremely unlikely for the egg to come first without something caring for it since eggs have to be kept at the right temperature and be rotated at least twice a day in order to hatch.

MOM4Evr wrote:
Gah, noes. My teacher started talking about 4th-dimensional hypercubes the other day and how you can unfold them into three dimensions kinda like how you can unfold a cube into two dimensions. My mind has been blown enough for one week. Tongue

sort of like my hyper-cheese concept: if you have a cube a cheese, you can slice it into a 2d-slice of cheese, then thatmeans if you take a slice out of a hyper-cheese you get 3-d cheeses?
WARNING: LOGIC CORE MELT-DOWN at 99%.

-_-

You haven't done hypercubes yet? But yeah, they're pretty interesting.

About time travel, some people believe that because of the butterfly effect, we should never venture backwards in time. Personally, I think nothing will change, since it has already happened. In case anything was changed, assuming chaos theory is correct, it could have a great impact and parallel worlds could be created that way. Paradoxes can't happen. Paradoxes won't happen. If a paradox was to happen at any point in time, then no point in time would make sense according to our definition of it, but we defined it, so there can't have been a paradox ever, at any point in time.

In theory. Tongue

Laughing out loud :D Laughing out loud HA HA HA HA!!!

Kirdneh, you do realize what you said in #10...

WATER A TREE?!?!?

Does anyone else get this lol type?... Tongue

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

That's not a paradox, number ten.

RedTheGreen wrote:
You haven't done hypercubes yet? But yeah, they're pretty interesting.

About time travel, some people believe that because of the butterfly effect, we should never venture backwards in time. Personally, I think nothing will change, since it has already happened. In case anything was changed, assuming chaos theory is correct, it could have a great impact and parallel worlds could be created that way. Paradoxes can't happen. Paradoxes won't happen. If a paradox was to happen at any point in time, then no point in time would make sense according to our definition of it, but we defined it, so there can't have been a paradox ever, at any point in time.

In theory. Tongue

so, because of reverse engineering, it is impossible to change the past or future becuase if you try to, say, shoot your grand father, something will block it, like he remembers he has to go somewhere and the bullet misses? like in HHG2TG?

-_-

Y'all are talking about the Predestination Paradox and that you can't change the past by travelling back in time because it already happened. But to be honest, that really depends on how time travel works, if it ever will. Sure, at first it seems most logical that you can't kill yourself because something will stop you, but that's also pretty illogical.
For example, if you were to cause something that never really happened like, say, setting off a bomb in your home, then I don't think it's possible (or at least likely) that something will stop you. You could send the bomb back in time by itself, and make sure that it goes off in your house, one second after it arrived, then there is little that can be done to stop it. Then, because you died that early, you were never there to send back the bomb, then you didn't actually die, so you did send back the bomb, and then you have fully functional and universe-destroying paradox.

Something a little less drastic though: let's say you had a secret place in your childhood. Nobody else ever went there, nobody else ever knew about it, and you know that because it up until this day nobody else has ever found it. Now, suppose you went back in time, went to that secret place, and put a rock under it (if it was outside you could dig a hole or something). Now, your past self knows nothing about this, and nobody else does, so time flows on as normal. However, you go back to the present, and then check under your secret place, and there's the rock you put there.
I know this still complies with your rules, but suppose that you were to check for the rock before you went back in time to put it there, and it wasn't there. If it was there, then you just wouldn't do it in the first place, because the whole point of this experiment was to change time. You'd put something there that wasn't there, like another rock.

Basically, my point is this: it's pretty much impossible for something to prevent you changing time simply because what you plan to do (such as killing yourself or burying a stone) didn't happen. Sure, that happens in movies or books, but that's because the authors want to prevent a paradox. Something conveniently happens that stops the main guy changing the course of time, but that wouldn't happen in real life.

Think about it. Wink

well, we know for a fact no paradoxes have been created as we are here alive, and not being exploded 4-th dimensionally.
but maybe another time traveler stops him, but they don't see TT B, only TT A as it is about him. TT B is someone who prevents the paradox. if someone didn't stop him then, well, we wouldn't be here debating.

so, what do you people think of Schrödinger's cat?

-_-

puggsoy wrote:
Y'all are talking about the Predestination Paradox and that you can't change the past by travelling back in time because it already happened. But to be honest, that really depends on how time travel works, if it ever will. Sure, at first it seems most logical that you can't kill yourself because something will stop you, but that's also pretty illogical...
[SNIP]
Think about it. Wink

But you couldn't send the bomb back, because you already know that the bomb wasn't sent back. Somehow it didn't explode, because...it didn't.

H2G2G has a good example of this, and the third Harry Potter book has a pretty clearly explained example as well. After going back in time, Harry couldn't go talk to his past self, because he hadn't, and he knows that. But he is able to interact with his past self by summoning the stag, because that already had happened.

Of course, until someone invents a time machine, there's no way to know for sure.

So let's get working on that! Laughing out loud

EDIT: Also, wasn't Schrödinger's Cat meant to show how the theory didn't work? As in, look at how ridiculous this gets when you apply it to real world objects instead of particles?

Albino Pokey wrote:
thenoobtester wrote:
Also, here is a good one

Assuming that the detail of the universe is infinite, that is. Id est, there's a length you can't get smaller than. Wink

Well, if the expansion of the universe is infinite, you would guess that the detail of the universe is infinite.

Computer! Y U get virus?

Albino Pokey wrote:

But you couldn't send the bomb back, because you already know that the bomb wasn't sent back. Somehow it didn't explode, because...it didn't.

H2G2G has a good example of this, and the third Harry Potter book has a pretty clearly explained example as well. After going back in time, Harry couldn't go talk to his past self, because he hadn't, and he knows that. But he is able to interact with his past self by summoning the stag, because that already had happened.

This is exactly what I'm saying. Books are all nice and dandy, being logically correct and whatnot. Seriously, I don't see what stopped Harry going out and talking to himself other than Hermione. And, if he really wanted to, he could have ignored her and gone and done it anyway.

And "somehow it didn't explode, because...it didn't" doesn't really convince me that much. I know that's what your theory shows, but it's not really an explanation of how it's true.

Seriously guys, somebody invent a time machine before I go over to AP's house and slap him Tongue

What I'm trying to say is that it is already determined. I mean, if I asked you right now, you could say that you're certain that your house didn't collapse yesterday. And the reason is simply that it didn't. Tongue

C'mon, let's get this time machine working! Then I'll try to go back and release World of Goo as my own game in 2004. Watch if the copyright statement at the bottom of thsi page changes to say "World of Goo (c) Albino Pokey" Tongue

But what is forcing it to be determined? Is the entire timeline of the universe predetermined? If so, then you're right, but that also means that the future is decided and free will isn't completely true. If not, there should be nothing stopping me changing the past.

Alternatively, time travel could work differently. I'm thinking that, in addition to actually travelling through this universe's proper timeline, it's possible that time travel could result in 1) us simply seeing the past, Pensieve-style, and 2) us travelling into a parallel universe's timeline, allowing us to interact with past (maybe future?) events, but it doesn't effect the present (i.e. our timeline).
I think the former option would be most preferred, observing the past is the most important function to time travel, if it's at all possible. The latter option would be OK, but more dangerous (e.g. it would be life-threatening to observe dinosaurs or wars).

Like the quantum many-worlds theory? We could just "jump" between branches if we changed the past, and our timeline is unaffected?

Yup. That would be cool, but as I said, dangerous. Just seeing the past would be much better, IMO.

puggsoy wrote:
But what is forcing it to be determined? Is the entire timeline of the universe predetermined? If so, then you're right, but that also means that the future is decided and free will isn't completely true. If not, there should be nothing stopping me changing the past.

Alternatively, time travel could work differently. I'm thinking that, in addition to actually travelling through this universe's proper timeline, it's possible that time travel could result in 1) us simply seeing the past, Pensieve-style, and 2) us travelling into a parallel universe's timeline, allowing us to interact with past (maybe future?) events, but it doesn't effect the present (i.e. our timeline).
I think the former option would be most preferred, observing the past is the most important function to time travel, if it's at all possible. The latter option would be OK, but more dangerous (e.g. it would be life-threatening to observe dinosaurs or wars).

Alternatively, since all of the dimensions would be the same as there is no variables yet, wouldn't each of the infinite number of universes each have a copy of you traveling to another dimension go mess up some-one's universe, and go back to see that their universe is the same thing?

Another thing: who are we to say that we are the original dimension? are maybe we a variant of another dimension?

-_-

Don't you guys understand chaos theory? If Bob (a fictional person I just made up) were to travel back in time to, say, the year 2000, he would be upsetting the already-determined universe on a molecular level. The problem with this is, since you can't change something that has already happened, it's a paradox. Paradoxes can't happen and won't happen. That's their definition. We come up with them for fun, because we know there's no way they can be true. If Bob were to place a bomb in his workplace at that time so he and all his colleagues would die (he is a very traumatized person) it wouldn't happen, because it didn't.

I don't think you quite understand AP when he says that. The truth is, even though you'd want to go back and create a paradox, it won't happen as something has already stopped it in the past, your past. Due to chaos theory, we have probably already lapped several branches in the multiverse, and going back in time won't change anything. It's a predetermined event, you traveling back in time, so you can't go avoiding it.

Say that Bob, when he was a child, received a gift from his future self. In the present, he knows he must eventually give that gift to himself in the past, and even though he would try to avoid it, it has already happened and it will happen. The idea that you can will yourself to create a paradox (like you're trying to say, Puggsoy) is complete and utter ********. You can't use willpower to overcome a force that is predetermined. Predetermined means it can't be avoided. Even if you try to avoid it, you will soon realize that trying to avoid it is what made it happen in the first place.

It's a little difficult to grasp, but when you do, it makes you marvel at another wonder the universe has brought forth.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Don't you guys understand chaos theory? If Bob (a fictional person I just made up) were to travel back in time to, say, the year 2000, he would be upsetting the already-determined universe on a molecular level. The problem with this is, since you can't change something that has already happened, it's a paradox. Paradoxes can't happen and won't happen. That's their definition. We come up with them for fun, because we know there's no way they can be true. If Bob were to place a bomb in his workplace at that time so he and all his colleagues would die (he is a very traumatized person) it wouldn't happen, because it didn't.

I don't think you quite understand AP when he says that. The truth is, even though you'd want to go back and create a paradox, it won't happen as something has already stopped it in the past, your past. Due to chaos theory, we have probably already lapped several branches in the multiverse, and going back in time won't change anything. It's a predetermined event, you traveling back in time, so you can't go avoiding it.

Say that Bob, when he was a child, received a gift from his future self. In the present, he knows he must eventually give that gift to himself in the past, and even though he would try to avoid it, it has already happened and it will happen. The idea that you can will yourself to create a paradox (like you're trying to say, Puggsoy) is complete and utter ********. You can't use willpower to overcome a force that is predetermined. Predetermined means it can't be avoided. Even if you try to avoid it, you will soon realize that trying to avoid it is what made it happen in the first place.

It's a little difficult to grasp, but when you do, it makes you marvel at another wonder the universe has brought forth.

so basically, if we make a time machine we can do whatever we want and we won't destroy the universe?

note: i realized if you time travel then you would end up in space because the earth moved in that time-jump. (Doc: "you must think 4th dimensionally!" Me: "i am. i don't want to be zapped into space")

-_-

I love how people argue so much about time travel and nobody has a clue how to do so. "Yay, let's pass the black hole's event horizon into a parallel universe!" Oh, snap, the definition of an event horizon is something you can never cross. Derppity derp. It's all well and cool and all that, but also impossible. I'll take a bit of advice from Sherlock Holmes and not care whether the Earth goes around the moon or not.

we have a moon?!? Tongue

-_-

I see what you're trying to say, Red. It's just that the only way I see that that would be true is if the universe and everything that happened and will have was predetermined, before time began. Honestly I think it's really unlikely that that's so, and thus I don't think it works.

Consider this: as a child, I met myself from the future. I know it's me (not a fraud), because it told me something that only I knew, because I had only thought it in my mind. Nobody but myself could know it, ever. Then, later on, but before I reach the age that my future self was, I kill myself intentionally. Jump off a building, whatever. Maybe stab myself through the heart. Blow myself up with a bomb. I dunno why, maybe I have some strange will to cause a paradox or something. And thus I don't go back in time.

Seriously, I don't see how your theory could still work in such a case. Your sentence "Even if you try to avoid it, you will soon realize that trying to avoid it is what made it happen in the first place" doesn't overrule this situation. Killing myself can't cause me to travel back in time later on.

MOM4Evr wrote:
I'll take a bit of advice from Sherlock Holmes and not care whether the Earth goes around the moon or not.

Don't get me started on that. I've got a whole other section of mind for argument on that sentence. That was the "new" Sherlock anyway. The original Sherlock Holmes was way cooler, he marvelled at how strange real life is in comparison to fiction, don't tell me that's more important than caring that the moon goes around the Earth.

unless, when you kill yourself, time fixes itself, and you never met yourself when you when you where a kid. Therefore, you would have no reason to kill yourself, and the event never happened.
does time fix itself?
also, does the universe only paradoxicalize itself when it is known to be a paradox? like the cat is only dead or alive when you see it? if we don't realize we made a paradox, and no one does, are you safe until you think about it?

hard to tell if this topic is a philosophical or scientifical debate Tongue

-_-

Purely philosophical. We have no facts on time travel (or time itself, for that matter), only theories, so it's all speculation.

@MOM4Evr
I think a forwards time machine wouldn't be too hard, considering relativity and whatnot. If you were to say, vibrate at the speed of light (and this is assuming our noses won't become older than our feet) for 2 years on your own time, space around you would be 50 years further, so while you only aged 2 years, everything and everyone around you has lived for a much longer period of time than you have. Although I have no clue how we would go back to our own time afterwards. Tongue

@Puggsoy
But that's a paradox. It can't happen. I know you want to go and say that you can just stop yourself from doing it, but if that were true, you just couldn't have been able to hear about it in the first place.

For future examples, let's avoid talking about humans and keep ourselves to the quantum level.

Also about everything being predetermined, that is false. There is always a level of quantum randomness that exists, despite what happens in time. Some say this is what causes parallel universes to exist, because there is always another way for something to happen.

RedTheGreen wrote:
If you were to say, vibrate at the speed of light (and this is assuming our noses won't become older than our feet) for 2 years on your own time, space around you would be 50 years further, so while you only aged 2 years, everything and everyone around you has lived for a much longer period of time than you have.

That would work, assuming that we could survive that heat without sublimating.

Still safer than a black hole, though.

RedTheGreen wrote:
@MOM4Evr
I think a forwards time machine wouldn't be too hard, considering relativity and whatnot. If you were to say, vibrate at the speed of light (and this is assuming our noses won't become older than our feet) for 2 years on your own time, space around you would be 50 years further, so while you only aged 2 years, everything and everyone around you has lived for a much longer period of time than you have. Although I have no clue how we would go back to our own time afterwards. Tongue

@Puggsoy
But that's a paradox. It can't happen. I know you want to go and say that you can just stop yourself from doing it, but if that were true, you just couldn't have been able to hear about it in the first place.

For future examples, let's avoid talking about humans and keep ourselves to the quantum level.

Also about everything being predetermined, that is false. There is always a level of quantum randomness that exists, despite what happens in time. Some say this is what causes parallel universes to exist, because there is always another way for something to happen.

acording to the theory of relativity, if we travel really fast we can accelerate in time. we can't go back in time, but i guess that is a good thing.

-_-