Post here if you want to join! (continued)

32 replies [Last post]

The other topic got locked, and I want to join!

If people don't remember what I can do, I'll list again:

Coder (I may be able to edit some of the program-specific features that are in the exe; also create a new launcher (in java, for cross-platform); and a windows-based installer)
Proof-reader (levels, text, etc.)
Marketing (I have many contacts still around from the old days of this project)
Site Hosting (I'll have a domain ready within days, and not necessarily for forums again as these ones are fine)
More work from Myself (I plan on contributing more as to levels, sounds, etc.)

I'm not sure if this went dead yet, or maybe this 'public discussion' section is never used. Anyway, I'd want to help again, if you'll have me.

Don´t compromise so much, because you later will be drown in projects, like Me!
ONLY a recommendation.

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

Erm, I'm the one who actually (officially) got the project going.

I'm not pgonna to join, since I'm already drowning in projects. I plan to make my own WoG "sequel" later on anyway.

But wait a minute... coder? Isn't it illegal to modify the game's .exe, even for a mod? I thought W0o-gle got told off for that once...
And how would you modify it anyway? If it's possible to decompile WoG, I'd be mighty interested in seeing some of the code.

I thought the plan was always to create one big .goomod?

Anyway, davidc, could you add him to the project (again)? I have everything everyone's made so far, just no time to stick it all together. I was hoping to get to it this summer, but it's looking like I don't really have the time.

On second thought I don't want to be a part of it!
(just kidding)

Anyway, is it really illegal to change an exe?

There you go.

Anyway, I thought it was gonna be one big .goomod as well. Not only is it legal, but it's easier to install. And you don't have to go to the trouble of making an installer.

I was thinking it was even better than a .goomod! (just a zip file gootool extracts to your custom folder)
And an installer takes two seconds. I was thinking of SNIS. (or whatever it was)

Dang. Well, goomods are FINE then. I think up odd ways of doing things.

NSIS it's called.

And something like that may be fairly simple in Windows, but there's no guarantees that there's a simple solution for Mac and Linux. Just saying.

Technically, there is. Like I said, I've been working in java lately.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Technically, there is.

There's technically a simple solution? Sound like an oxymoron to me.

In any case, I think .goomod is better. An installer might not be difficult (don't know how easy they are with NSIS, I haven't tested it yet), but the .goomod's merge and compile features are extremely handy for cross-platform support.

Right. Erm. Actually, puggsoy, what do those features have to do with a separate standalone install? Basically, it'd check if you own the game (various files existing can determine this) and copy such files over to a new folder, like GooTool does. It'd insert its own files and folders into the new install.

I didn't know you were thinking about copying the whole folder (although it's a good idea).

Still, it'd save space and time to just use a .goomod. A .goomod contains only the files, and not the copying functionality. In addition, as I said, a .goomod can merge and compile. A separate installer would require you to make Mac and Linux versions of the compiled XMLs (and thus of the installer), since it just inserts them.

Honestly, I don't see the advantage of using an installer rather than a .goomod.

There isn't really any specific advantage to using an installer. I'm just continuing the argument. Smile

Don't the xmls work the same throughout the platforms? (and I don't see how merge and compile even relate to this discussion)

Puggsoy, please give me your mail i want to talk you about a private stuff...That obviously involucrates goo!

Hey You!

G0o-gle wrote:
involucrates

Wow... that's a weird word. I like it! Laughing out loud

And anyhow, RedTheGreen, doesn't the Mac version of World of Goo use a different format for the images: .png.binltl or something like that? Converting all those by hand would be an incredibly huge pain.

G0o-gle wrote:
Puggsoy, please give me your mail i want to talk you about a private stuff...That obviously involucrates goo!

Sure thing, I'm [email address removed]. Creative name, no? Big smile

@mom: Oh yea! Woops, forgot about that. Tongue

@puggsoy: Mine's even more original! (I have my own domain. (hint: it's my username + .com)

thanks puggsoy..

Hey You!

Don't you already have access, Red? I would have thought DavidC would make you sub-mod as soon as he found out you changed your username.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
I would have thought DavidC would make you sub-mod as soon as he found out you changed your username.

NOPE

RedTheGreen wrote:
@puggsoy: Mine's even more original! (I have my own domain. (hint: it's my username + .com)

Hey, how do you get an email address with a custom domain? I think I read something about AOL being able to do it, but I don't have AOL.

I just used Google. You can register any domain through them for $10/year. (which is waay cheaper than most other sites that bill monthly) Doing this through Google Apps allows you to have access to a site calender and email service (runs on gmail, but with your domain; you access through mail. ' domain ' .com)

It's pretty nifty.

Most hosting and domain registration companies give you custom email accounts.

Or you can use PHP to send email from any username and domain you want. In one line of code. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

It's still cool to use gmail though. Smile

Well thanks for that. If I have a spare $10 bucks per year I'll check it out Wink

Tongue It's still pretty cool to have a personal domain. Since Google Apps gives 25gb to every user on the site, I'll likely be using it for downloads and a website as well as an email address.

Sorry to interrupt, but what are you joining?
whatever it is, I'm joining.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?

That 'post here if you want to join' title,
seems like to post here if you want to join something
anyway what is this forum topic about?