About the advertisements

16 replies [Last post]

Yesterday, when I uploading an addin, I saw top-right corners ad said "Play World of Goo for Free!". It links to bigfishgames.com

Moved to GooFans General Discussion.

That's weird, but it might be talking about the 1 hour trial that you can get at bigfishgames.com. In any case it's randomised, David doesn't choose the ads himself. It's not really a problem or anything anyway.

Yep. I used to see that one all the time, too. It's totally legit, since 2DBoy got Big Fish Games to sell World of Goo. And, like puggsoy said, the ad is probably referring to the free one-hour trial. After that, Big Fish Games' DRM kicks in and you have to buy the game to keep playing.

just get AdBlock and none of the annoying adds appear.

-_-

kirdneh wrote:
just get AdBlock and none of the annoying adds appear.

Yes.I know that.

Except putting up a site costs money, and a few discreet ads are needed to cover the cost

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

If i use a ad removing thing, will davidc still get paid?
If he doesn't get paid, i will remove it.

-_-

I'm not sure. I said once that I was using an ad blocker but apparently that was OK. I don't think it makes a difference though, whether you see the ads or not shouldn't matter if you never click on them anyway.

I think generally adblockers would prevent davidc from getting money. Although most ad revenue is generated by clicking, I think some is generated from just viewing ads too. Though I'm not sure. I haven't looked into it much.

A quick Google search seemed to say that ads, at least some of them, count views instead of/in addition to clicks. I'm not sure if Google Ads does it that way, it might though.

I'll say this: once/if DavidC returns and kind of appears regularly, listening and giving responses to suggestions and such, I'll disable ad block on here. But right now I don't care enough about him getting money from ads since he's not really doing anything for it.

It's based on views AND clicks, but I don't know about adblocks...

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

As far as I know ad blockers neutralise your views, so basically I'm not "paying" for this site.

But does it still load the stuff? It would be possible to write a simple blocker that loads it but doesn't put it on your screen.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I don't think it loads, no. I'm not sure but sites such as Mediafire that usually have bunches of ads load pretty fast, quicker I think than with ads. This is sort of another reason why I block ads, but if there's one that loads it but doesn't display then I wouldn't mind using it in GooFans.

Google AdSense is based on clicks - if you are never going to click on ads, it doesn't matter whether you block them or not.

Of course, I'm not allowed to encourage you to click on the ads.

All I'll say is that the ad revenue for GooFans is miniscule, and it runs on a dedicated server to handle all the various resource requirements - if I didn't happen to own the ISP that hosts the site, it wouldn't be able to support itself Smile

I was hoping that other opportunities with 2D Boy would make the site eventually viable, but that never happened, so just consider it my passion for the game.

-davidc

But it can really play WoG for free! Though it says only can play 1 hour. Evil

David: Have you considered having both a normal link and an adf.ly download link for some of the more popular addins, like GooTool or WooGLE? People who enjoy the site could choose to use the adf.ly link and watch the ads.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.