Engine Builds

35 replies [Last post]

I'll update this post whenever I upload a new update. Coding Recommendations will be posted here.

Current Build:

Currently, it displays a splash image inside a generic window. There is a bin/option.txt that contains information such as resolution, window title, fullscreen, and bpp (it is suggested you don't edit these values in future updates). It now includes a batch file that runs it in developer mode ("-dev") and no longer requires "safe" to be its argument. Now, running it with the launcher actually won't work because of it. I'll make a new optimized launcher in the future. It now has the core event-loading functions, which is getting somewhere, I must say. I've also changed the splash image and included some of the ambiance sounds I found. Because of these changes, the filesize went from 428k to 12726k. I don't want you to have to wait so long with the launcher downloading everything, so you can download it directly here. (it is also suggested that you duplicate the folder when working with your own files, and keeping the core files in a safe easy-to-access location.

Next Build:

The bolded text in an object's title specifies the object's current coding status.

Internal Image Stuff - Incomplete
The next update will be entirely internal changes, mainly optimization to make it easier to code the rest of the game.
Internal Sound Stuff - Incomplete
The next update will be entirely internal changes, mainly optimization to make it easier to code the rest of the game.

Great!

With the events, will they be coded, or will you be able to, say, make event 1012 fire when the player goes into this area? (in the level file)

Also, the dev console should be able to fire events. Something like "event 1012" would suffice.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yes, the dev console will be able to handle inputted events. It will also allow you to type event flags, such as hp_increase(999) to make your health 999 larger. For your first question, why do you think event "files" are included in the documentation at all? Tongue Yes, files with the ".ys" file extension will be included into the event stream. Only those specified by other files, of course. To start everything, I've included a bin/bin.ys in my current runs. It has event 0000 defined inside. When we have more in the game, that event will load the menu. That event is the only coded event that I can think of making. The rest will be in script files (.ys).

Maybe 0000 = exit, 0001 = menu?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Um, no. There will be action flags (didn't I explain this already?) that you use to define what events will do like prog_exit(). These flags could be re-listed over and over in your own events. So, the first event of the game (0000) is the very first action of the game. It can initialize the menu map, or something else.

Oh, I misunderstood the word "menu". I thought you meant the "Resume/Options/Save/Exit" menu, not the "Load Game/etc." startup menu. My bad.

I meant a map file that would be our "menu"

ARGH! TOO MANY USES OF THE WORD MENU! Smile

But that sounds good. How would we do the menu map? Would we actually have a default character walk around and go through doors to choose the options? Or just normal buttons?

It would probably be better to do buttons. I'll make sure to include a boolean value for maps that makes it whether to show the player/ui or not.

Yes, or just

<player alpha="0">
<showui="false">

I think the UI and player will always be shown together anyway. Why not make it one value? That value could also make it so you could see the mouse or not. Or something else like that. Tongue

OK then. But you may need the mouse at other points, without hiding the player.

I mean, hurr, we don't even know if we'll need the mouse. Besides, this is separate from what we're talking about.

Do I have to reinstall the packet every time there is a update? Or does the update work now?

-_-

To update, just click "Update Files" in the Launcher. Once the command window closes, you've updated, and it'll run again. I'll update the op of this topic when there's a new update.

quote:
Starting the executable with the argument dev will start the game in Developer Mode. Currently, this will not do anything special, but a console is planned and perhaps some modified stats such as invincibility and infinite cash.

how do you do this?

-_-

How do you do what? Run it with an argument?

Something like
"C:\Program Files\YAMI\yami.exe -dev".
You need to use the command line. Shift click in the window and choose Open Command Window Here. Then you can just type "yami -dev".

AP, not "-dev" just "dev"

The only thing I ever said was dev, so why does -dev come to mind?

ugh, not working. the update seems the same, i looked in the bin/ options folder and there's no full screen. the yami stuff looks just the same.
am i doing something wrong? i don't see any updated stuff.

-_-

Red: I'd just assumed it was -dev or /dev, because usually a word with no / or - is some sort of filename or argument you pass to the program, not a flag. Of course, we won't be passing filenames to the program.

@AP It is an argument.
@kirdneh I haven't updated it yet. Didn't I say I'll notify you in the op when there's an update? Currently, that fullscreen stuff and such are in the "Next Build" section. Pay attention to that part.

@all

I think I'm going to redesign it to use XML. The current way to do things is just something I made up on the spot, which doesn't do it justice. Not to mention, I'm sure all of you are used to XML already via it being the primary modding language for World of Goo.

Not much will change, a simple event definition will go on a file like this:

<events>
..<event index="0000">
....<flag action="map_load" value = "res/map/menu/main/main.ym" />
..</event>
</events>

Personally I think that you should make developer mode launch by using -dev. All arguments from other programs have hyphens, and it seems like a general convention. Not to mention it'll save a lot of confusion.

What confusion? By definition, a program argument is just runtime parameters you specify. If I changed it now, I would have to update the launcher too, it runs with "safe" as its parameter. Anyway, have you seen the XML post? Please post thoughts, I may start with that today.

Actually, all other programs use stuff like "-dev" rather than "dev". Especially since some programs use files that have no file extension, so "dev" would be interpreted as a filename. Don't use "I'll have to update the launcher, too" as an excuse; if there's a potential problem with something, the earlier you fix it the better. And yes, there WILL BE confusion later if you don't change this now; everyone else on the planet thinks that command-line parameters should have hyphens in front of them. Following expected conventions is almost always a good idea. If this game ends up being really popular, you'll give modders and platform-porters headaches if you don't follow standard conventions.

Basically, I'm siding with puggsoy here. Tongue

ARG! DISCUSS THE XML!

Alright, I've been meaning to minimize the size of the launcher anyway. Maybe just one executable.

XML is good, easy to parse, and easy to write and find bugs in. Any downsides?

I'm okay at making converter programs, if you want I could make on to turn XML into YL.

Shock NO! The actual files will be XML. That's what I'm trying to say, I want to change the format.

I was saying that there was a third option as well.

Third option? Like?

Writing in XML and then encoding them into the YL. Kind of like, in Goo, Ron and Kyle wrote SWF animation files and encoded them into their new anim.binltl files.