Credits and Titles

52 replies [Last post]

Things like job descriptions go here. Post here in case I forget you in the list or if you think your name has another title apply to it. I'll list them all in the op:

Executive Producer
RedTheGreen
Art
WEXXES
Music
Gooballs Of Fire
Programming
RedTheGreen
Linux Port
MOM4Evr
Story
Puggsoy, Albino Pokey
Level Design
RedTheGreen

If your name isn't here, but you feel you are an active team member, post and I will update the list.

EDIT: Removed "Beta Testing" from the list. That shouldn't be in the credits, since this forum is public.

Executive Producer is good for you, Red.

I'd say that I'm doing design/art[the spells]/code[the advanced potions and high magic system]. I've got parts of the potions working now...

#include <string>
#include <cmath>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

const int MAX_POTIONS = 256;
const int MAX_INGREDIENTS = 4;

bool is_square(int i){
	double d_sqrt = sqrt(i);
	int i_sqrt = d_sqrt;
	return d_sqrt == i_sqrt;
}

class potion{
	private:
		string desc;
		int effect;
	public:
		string getDesc();
	//	string getEffects();
		int getEffectNum();
		void modify(potion);
		void modify(int);
		bool operator==(potion);
		void force(int);
		potion();
		potion(int zeffect);
};

int potion::getEffectNum(){
	return effect;
}

string potion::getDesc(){
	return desc;
}

bool potion::operator==(potion other){
	if(other.getEffectNum() == getEffectNum()){
		return true;
	}else{
		return false;
	}
}

void potion::modify(int z){
	switch(z){
		case -1:
			break;
		case 0:
			effect /= 2;
			break;
		case 1:
			effect = (effect * effect)%MAX_POTIONS;
			break;
		case 2:
			effect = 2*effect%MAX_POTIONS;
			break;
		case 3:
			effect = MAX_POTIONS/effect;
			break;
		case 4:
			effect %= (MAX_POTIONS/2);
			break;
		default:
			effect += z;
			effect /= 2;
	}
	if(effect <= MAX_INGREDIENTS && z>-1){
		effect += MAX_INGREDIENTS;
	}

if(effect == 0){
		desc="water";
		return;
	}
	if(effect == 1){
		desc="lightstone";
		return;
	}
	if(effect == 2){
		desc="ink";
		return;
	}
	if(effect == 3){
		desc="diamond dust";
		return;
	}
	if(effect == 4){
		desc="ketchup";
		return;
	}

desc = "";
	if(effect%2==0){
		desc += "bubbling, ";
	}
	if(effect%3==0){
		desc += "shimmering, ";
	}
	if(effect%5==0){
		desc += "slightly steaming, ";
	}
	if(effect%7==0){
		desc += "faintly glowing, ";
	}
	if(effect%11==0){
		desc += "acrid-smelling, ";
	}
	if(effect%13==0){
		desc += "greenish, ";
	}
	if(effect%17==0){
		desc += "bluish, ";
	}
	if(is_square(effect)){
		desc += "congealed, ";
	}
	if(effect%19==0){
		desc += "metallic ";
	}else{
		desc += "transparent ";
	}
	desc += "potion";
	return;
}

void potion::modify(potion ingredient){
	modify(ingredient.getEffectNum());
}

potion::potion(){
	effect = 0;
	desc="water";
}

potion::potion(int zeffect){
	effect = zeffect;
	modify(-1);
}

potion water(0);
potion lightstone(1);
potion ink(2);
potion diamondDust(3);
potion ketchup(4);
potion nothing(-1);

void potion::force(int i){
	effect = i;
	modify(-1);
}

potion inventory[24];

int in;
int slot;
int num;

int main(){
	cout << "Potions Simulator v0.1" << endl;
	while(true){
		cout << "What do you want to do?\n[1] View inventory\n[2] Give yourself an ingredient\n[3] Mix a potion\n[4] Examine a potion" << endl;
		cin >> in;
		switch(in){
			case 1:
				for(int i=0; i<24; i++){
					cout << '[' << i << "] Some " << inventory[i].getDesc() << "." << endl;
				}
				break;
			case 2:
				cout << "What inventory slot?" << endl;
				cin >> slot;
				if(slot<1||slot>24){
					cout << "Sorry, invalid slot." << endl;
					exit(1);
				}
				cout << "What ID?" << endl;
				cin >> num;
				inventory[slot-1].force(num);
				break;
			case 3:
				cout << "What slot to take from?" << endl;
				cin >> slot;
				if(slot<1||slot>24){
					exit(1);
				}
				num = slot;
				cout << "What slot to add to?" << endl;
				cin >> slot;
				if(slot<1||slot>24){
					exit(1);
				}
				inventory[slot-1].modify(inventory[num-1]);
				inventory[num-1].force(0);
				break;
			default:
				cout << "Unimplemented." << endl;
		}
	}
}

It uses a fancy semi-implemented-so-far formula involving the prime factors of the potion ID to determine its effects. If the number "2" appears 5 times in the factorization, it could poison you for 5 points of ongoing damage.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh that's cool, but we will probably have potions as elements in a file defining them, right? Since potions may just take one line:
<potion desc="" effect="" force="" />
Or whatever it would be. Could you design it to work in XML? That way as little game objects as possible would have to be hardcoded. I'll implement it with my XML-parsing functions. Maybe, you should, say, have a global string array so then when a potion is defined it goes into the array at the specified id. When drawing them in your inventory, a bool within the class might tell if it's in your inventory currently and how much there is. Else, just make a math function with an hp variable dropping or mp or whatever. It looks good, though. Smile

Although I haven't done much on it recently, I seem to be the only one really doing anything about the story, which I want to continue doing. So it'd be nice to get credit for the story.

Ah, this is for the advanced potions system. The normal one would use XML, add the potion ids and divide by 2. This one has big lists of procedurally generated effects. Try compiling the program and looking at the names of the bigger potions: those are all created by the code, not by me.

The idea with Advanced Potions is that it would be unlocked after you beat the game using the High Magic system and getting to a specific ending or something. Like we were talking about before, more replay value.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh, so after the story, you would get access to a bunch of new features? Hmm, the beta for this might be epic. Maybe we could even get a multiplayer thing going? Hmm?

SDL does have a sockets library, so multiplayer might actually be feasible. Wink

SDL has a sockets library? Shock I thought I would need to learn how to use Winsock! Tongue Thank goodness.

I think so, anyway; I thought I saw something like that when I was poking around one time.

Also, yay for being a consultant. Smile

Sockets?

Don't you need SFML for that?

Oh wait, yeah, I think SDL has sockets built in, or maybe there's another library that compiles alongside it which does that.

I don't do much. I'm not good in programming, art,etc....
all I do is give ideas and beta test (which everyone is doing).

But can I PLEASE be in the end credits? even if it says:

KIRDNEH-
useless blob

-_-

There we go, added a whole category for you Kirdneh! Smile

Ah, maybe it was SFML. Herm...

Oh, here we are!

Yeh, multiplayer feature (along with other extras) after you've finished would be epic. Probably not something like an MMO, but maybe trading or duels?

Sort of like the DS Pokemon games, where in certain areas (we could have it be villages or something) you can see other players who are in the same position in their games and trade and stuff.

Maybe. An option via npc or menu might decide if connection to other players is possible.

Via NPC would be awesome.

"Would you like to go into multiplayer mode? It's cool, trust me. Seriously though, don't say no." Big smile

By the way, when we ultimately put the credits in the game (and any other documentation) will we use our real names? I mean, in games you generally see that, people only use their usernames in stuff like mods or small community tools.
Not that I mind or anything, just wondering.

RedTheGreen wrote:
There we go, added a whole category for you Kirdneh! Smile

Thank soooooo much! I feel significant!
(does victory dance, than trips and falls)
puggsoy wrote:
Via NPC would be awesome.

"Would you like to go into multiplayer mode? It's cool, trust me. Seriously though, don't say no." Big smile

By the way, when we ultimately put the credits in the game (and any other documentation) will we use our real names? I mean, in games you generally see that, people only use their usernames in stuff like mods or small community tools.
Not that I mind or anything, just wondering.

i think it would be funny to use our fake names. that will be a first in gaming.
Also, at the end we should put some thing that says," goofans.com".

-_-

I think we would use our real names, but you don't have to broadcast them here if you want privacy. Instead, email your name to me (if you want credit) and I'll put it in a text file on my desktop. Tongue

Kirdneh, maybe we'll just mention David as collaboration manager or something.

i think i would like my fake name. i think it would look cooler. kirdneh sounds cooler than hendrik henderson.

or maybe we can do stuff like: Hendrik "Kirdneh" Henderson! Just quote your fake name in the middle.
Ex:
random "joe1397" guy

-_-

That would be effective, but it would compel anonymity to evanesce.

An amelioration to the putation: we could create a public Google Doc, which we all go on at different times and post our real names, then add our usernames to the bottom of the page. When all of our usernames were at the bottom, and we all approved the list, we would have everybody's real names. If we wanted to match our names to our usernames, we could just list our real name as Firstname "Username" Lastname like Kirdneh said.

Well AP, we would need titles for each person...so that wouldn't be effective. I think my original plan for just emailing me your name would be alright, except I know most people's names anyway. Tongue

Alright, new plan. Post here if you have a problem with using your real name!

Kirdneh, your name sounds better than "Kirdneh" Tongue

Yeah, I know pretty much everyone's too. I think the only ones I don't know are MOM and Howitz.

Yeah, you know my name Red, so that's sorted. I'd just prefer that, without the username. Although maybe I'll change that preference later on Tongue

Since we all pretty much don't care, I guess I'll put your names. Felix, I forgot your last name. Tongue

Puggsoy, I forgot your name. Tongue

MOM's is Mark. Howitz's is Jeromy or something.

You mean Felix Griffin?

That's not my real name either. I'll email you.

i wonder what jame's first name is... isn't it john or something? Wink

-_-

Wait, you can't put your name here? That was the whole point of the thread.

RedTheGreen wrote:
I think we would use our real names, but you don't have to broadcast them here if you want privacy. Instead, email your name to me (if you want credit) and I'll put it in a text file on my desktop. Tongue