"Poison Ivy"

10 replies [Last post]

I've been noticing that many custom levels involve Ivy goo balls suddenly being poisoned by fire, which can be startling to "non-GooBLE-using" people who don't know about the poison/fire thing. There are also several levels in which Ivy goo DON'T catch fire, where you think they should. Because of this, I have an idea for a new mod: one that makes Ivies NOT burn, and adds a ball called PoisonIvy which looks 'darker' and does burn. It would also "merge" with Volcanic Percolator and You Have to Explode the Head, to add the PoisonIvy balls there. Would this type of mod be legal, or would it be considered cheating?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I say it's about as much cheating as the un-published World of goo corp. Balls equiler mod. "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD!" Wink

I just think it would make levels like Jingle Balls make more sense, because I tried so hard to not poison my structure before I watched the video and found out it wouldn't burn. Wink

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

You are right.
Solution:
Don't use Ivy and fire together in a level.
If it has to be, use custom Ivy that doesn't burn at all, or that burns for real, not poison-burn.

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Yep. The only reason in Jingle Balls that the Ivy didn't burn is because it was a special type of Ivy davidc made for just that purpose...
In general, you shouldn't HAVE to have Ivy and fires together in a level; if you do, a new, custom ball should be made for the purpose (The Official Metal Level balls come to mind; someone can easily create a new detachable ball that burns).
But a mod to replace the Ivy with non-burning versions would be considered cheating. Granted, it could be made to merge correctly with the original levels, but would give people unfair advantages on some of the custom ones where Ivy balls are supposed to burn. Of course, this should be a very important note for level-makers: don't put Ivy and fire in the same level, unless the fire is the poison-looking flower stuff like is in VolcanicPercolaterDaySpa. Daft: maybe some "advice" in WOOGLE to warn about this?

My idea was a 'default' mad, built into GooTool, that automatically changed the balls. You wouldn't be able to turn it off, and it would affect every other mod. I have notices several levels with Ivies and fire, and I agree: you should always use flowerDust or poisonBallBurn for the particle effect if you want fire to affect Ivy goo.

Then what if people DON'T download gootool/don't know about it? The only way it would be official is if World of goo had a new version, so that EVERYTHING had this ball fix. (This post applys with the ball equiler mod in goocorp)

But the only advantage would be in custom levels. Sure, you could un-goomod and install them by hand, but if you were doing that you could also just edit the xml yourself.

XmasIvy was made for this purpose; it also had custom sounds though. I'd be happy for someone to create a non-flammable Ivy ball (with no other changes) with a NEW ID (e.g. IvyNoBurn) and upload it so that other mods could depend on it.

-davidc

I've already made it! Here comes...