Pulleys?

16 replies [Last post]

I have a level with a chain over some pulleys, but when I save and play the chain goes crazy and flies around chaotically! What could cause this?

Here's the setup:

_     _
O O   O O
|  \O/  |
#       #

The "O" thing in the middle is a MOM ball. The #'s are weights, attached by AnchorStickyGrumpySmalls to a chain of UtilChainSmalls. (UtilAttachUnwalkableSmall)

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Weight, big space betwen wheels, Non-accurate hinges.... A lot of things...

Changing the weight doesn't work, hinge coordinates are copied from the wheels, the space between the top ones is big (maybe that's it!). Does the wheel mass do anything?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Do you want to sling the MOM ball?
Cool idea.
This was the first idea behind "on the run". I had the same problem though i found another way.
But now reconsidering it. Maybe you can fix this with sliders on the weights.
Or a linear force field tagged geomonly; force:0,0
and dampening(try with diferent factors) could help.
Or maybe a combination of both.

Tried both, and they don't work. Sad

Anyway, it's just supposed to lift it...the problem is that if the weights are uneven, it just slips, so you have to balance it.

Did you get the "insane flying goo" bug too? Smile

too bad Sad

did you tried some "insanely ridiculous dampeningfactor"? Tongue

like this it shouldn´t slip to one side.

_     _
O O   O O
\  \O/  /
 \     / 
  \   /
    #

Yes i had that insane shaking bug too.

It's acting like a line is backwards, but...

Albino Pokey wrote:
It';s acting like a line is backwards, but...

Sorry didn´t get it, what do you mean?

Oh and i have another idea.
Try to replace the weight-geometrys with weight-balls.

In the level, the player has to do that. Wink

I just used geoms for testing.

What I mean about lines is that if part of a compositegeom is behind a line, the whole thing starts swinging around crazily.

I see the balancing is part of gameplay dificulty of the level. This is going to be tricky.

Albino Pokey wrote:

What I mean about lines is that if part of a compositegeom is behind a line, the whole thing starts swinging around crazily.

Exactly what i got with trying this.
But keep it up i´m sure there is sometihng to fix this. Glasses
Will make some experiments too, maybe i come up with some solution.

Not sure what kind of trouble you guys are having...
Yes, the mass should matter, make sure there's no rotspeed, other than that, I have no idea what could be going wrong.
I set up a similar example in a few minutes, couldn't replicate the problem. I'm not sure if it'll help, but here's the link:
www.mom4evr.net16.net/com.goofans.MOM4Evr.ChainGlitch.zip
(It's a real .goomod, rename it from .zip to .goomod to use)

Edit: Wait... do you have sticky balls (like Pokeys) attached to big weights (otherwise free geometry)? If so, that's your problem. A crazy glitch in WOG; you can see a similar affect in Fly Her To the Moon if you attach the Pokey to the asteroid: the physics simulation goes haywire.

Edit2: Reading more carefully... Yep, that's your problem. You pretty much have to use large goos in place of your geometry. Depending on how you edit your ball properties and such, however, you may still be able to get the effect you are after.

OH!

Good to know. Star
The AnchorSticky was the problem!?! Puzzled so easy but weird.

But what about Upper Shaft?

Hmm... Good question. Let me test out a theory...

EDIT: Ok, I have a solution for you.

Seems to be that this "haywire physics" glitch is caused only when you attach a single geometry object to a Pokey or similar ball...
The solution is to use a compositegeom object with more than one geometry in it.
Seems to be some kind of pivoting glitch... the second object in the compositegeom has to be some distance away from the object the ball is attached to. I tried hiding a rectangle within the circle, and the glitch was still there. I also tried a really lightweight rectangle far from the circle, with some success. It still vibrated noticeably, but not nearly as bad.
A/The solution... www.mom4evr.net16.net/com.goofans.MOM4Evr.ChainGlitch0.2.zip

(still a real .goomod, rename to use)

A large rectangle for a false floor, then a fairly massive (has to be close, but shouldn't be too heavy, right? Also can't be too light) rectangle hidden down beneath the floor, also part of the same compositegeom. I think the reason why UpperShaft works is because it has 4 similar-mass rectangles all close together. In this example, they're farther apart, and the hidden rectangle is less massive. The only problem that this causes is that the weight seems to swing "strangely" as you look at it, as you think that it should be a single weight. Other than that, this setup should work fine.

EDIT 2: Better yet, have an odd-shaped weight rather than just round:
www.mom4evr.net16.net/com.goofans.MOM4Evr.ChainGlitch0.3.zip

This should work nicely. Please note that both geometries in the compositegeom have the same mass. I haven't experimented much with different masses, but keeping them both the same mass should work fine for your purposes. If the mass of the lower one is too much smaller than the one the Pokey is attached to, it still goes haywire.

YES! Yes yes yes! That's what I was doing anyway once the pulleys worked!

The platform will be something like

#

\___/

, so it should work fine. Thank you!

No problem. I'm glad I could help.