Minecraft Adventure Update

19 replies [Last post]

1.8/1.9

Discuss

I think I kind of got distracted for two hours playing it before I even realized what I was doing.

I haven't tried it yet. Isn't it super buggy?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

At the moment, it's superslow for me. And after running it once, I can't get it running again. It's probably best to wait for the final release.

MOM4Evr, you P H A I L.

Once I got it on my computer, it ran well and smoothly. Occasionally it crashes and exits; it's in the known bugs section of the wiki now, I think. I don't mind, it happens maybe once every twenty minutes, and the world saves constantly so it doesn't matter.

About the new stuff:
New lighting engine = EPIC: When it's getting dark, the new chunk-loading code and lighting engine make it so it gradually gets dark rather than the old one where you could see a row of chunks get darker every few seconds or so. Also, note that when you use a bed, it doesn't just start in daylight, it has to gradually become day as well. The only difference is it skips to the sun going up, I think, rather than just afterward like before.

Strongholds and new blocks: I know what I'm building my house out of! Wink The brick-like blocks that were added look great as a building material. They can be found naturally in strongholds, but the stronghold I found (way underground, and in Creative mode) was made of wood. Jeb mentioned he wanted to add bosses at some point.

Hunger/Health/Experience: :20percentcooler: When you have a full hunger bar (all food icons are filled) you gain health periodically. This is an interesting way to rule out the old way via eating an item via right-click. To eat stuff now, you hold down the right mouse button until either the item runs out, or you are back at full (hunger?). As for experience, when you kill literally anything, the thing drops little green orbs on the ground. Move near them and your exp meter goes up a notch, and you hear little bubbly noises. Tongue

Chests/Creative Mode: The new chests are kind of cool, but they make the door sounds whenever opened now, and you know how annoying that can be. Tongue As for Creative mode, it's pretty awesome. It redefines the way you make maps, as it's pretty much like Classic Minecraft, except with the new lighting engine, mobs, torches, items, and gameplay mechanics. You also do not have a hunger meter or health bar. You just have the items at the bottom just like in Classic.

Menus: The main menu now shows an epic scrolling view of an ocean-y world with plenty of islands and trees. It's faded, but it makes the menu look great. Now when creating new worlds, you have the option for both Survival and Creative, as well as "extra options" like seeds and filenames.

And this is just the Pre-Release. Most of the bugs will probably be fixed in 2 days. Smile

RedTheGreen wrote:
MOM4Evr, you P H A I L.

Once I got it on my computer, it ran well and smoothly. Occasionally it crashes and exits; it's in the known bugs section of the wiki now, I think. I don't mind, it happens maybe once every twenty minutes, and the world saves constantly so it doesn't matter.

Not certain I understand the context of this statement. Why do I fail?

And oh yeah, it played 2 hours solid without glitches or crashes for me. Your comp fails. Wink

*laughs heartily at picture* OK, now, on topic...

Wait... what? 1.8/1.9?

1.8/1.9 is the Minecraft Adventure Update. It was originally just 1.8, but they kept postponing and postponing, and so they eventually had to split off the stuff they didn't even start on yet, like NPCs and proper AI, to 1.9

And 1.8 is coming out tommorow. Wink

Ah, OK...

Whatever Tongue

i just downloaded it today ( 9/14/11)
the one thing i miss is toggle fog.

-_-

You can still toggle fog via F3+F.

Speaking of 1.8, when will the Goofans server update?

I doubt too many people really go on it anymore, but it's still one of my favorite servers.

If the server updates, they should generate a new world and copy some of the chunks over (huge structures like the WoGC, mostly) so that we get the new terrain gen features.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yeah, there's so many changes to the terrain and such that playing without the new features would stink. Maybe starting over would be ok, but lots of work to redo. Can you port some structures to a new server with Bukkit? If we could just grab all the data in protected regions and move it over, that'd probably work.

Yeah, but would it work underground?

Maybe someone who's good with MC edit could copy the proteacted chunks and the area between them, put a wall around it, generate a new 1.8 world, then put the new generated stuff around the old (and move the strongholds, etc. over to the side).

RedTheGreen wrote:
You can still toggle fog via F3+F.

thanks, RedTheGreen.

-_-

Sorry guys. I just realized the server runs on Bukkit, which is currently incompatible with 1.8. Anyway, You COULD use MCEdit to take out all the main structures and place them in a new world. I can do this, but I'm confident David would be able to as well. Tongue

Also, I think the new terrain features can still be accessed in old worlds, at least, if you explore, to new rendered chunks, and beyond!

EDIT: Except strongholds or mine shafts, of course.

I`m sorry, but where can i find an abandoned mine shaft?
Are they rare or something? And minecraft 1.8 is a little buggy, it often makes me chunk bugs like "Too soft walls" and it looks like someone sliced the world and ate it like a cake! And i have a question:
My computer overheats fast and I don`t know does it actually do something on minecraft. When I launch my computer minecraft works Very soft and warm but when I feel the heat coming from my computer and I start sweating minecraft becomes extremely unplayable! VERY slow, VERY buggy, VERY annoying! Im mad at my fast overheating laptop. So my REAL question was how can I chill my computer? Any ideas?
AND I live in the Milky Way, The Solar System, Earth, Europe, the North East Hemisphere, Bulgaria, Sofia (not America)...

I have a computer that occasionnally overheats, I use a sort of platform with fans underneath.
Why not create a temporary vanilla server? I suggest we remove loaded but unmodified chunks of the map, like when people explore far but don' build.

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves