洞窟物語3D

58 replies [Last post]

MOM, let me tell you something...

That "new" translation is the same one Nicalis used for Wii/DSi/3DS ports. I got a response from them on Twitter saying that "Oh Yeah!" and "Huzzah!" are equally perfect translations as the original was just "Doryaa!". Bubbler is Bubbline, Grasslands is Bushlands. The yellow hat is only when you're playing easy mode. Same as the blue hat for hard mode.

The artwork is the same as the Wii's.

Ah.

Me no liek translation. Tongue

But anyway, did they change any boss fights, too? Because I beat Monster X on my first try this time with 38 HP left (I think I have 42 max). Either they made it easier, or Easy mode is easier, or something. But I like to pretend that I'm just that awesome now. Tongue

I would prefer that they'd made the new PC version the same as the 3DS version in the 3D-ness of it. But I can live with the higher-res stuff as-is. It is quite cool.

I think I'm starting to make less sense the more I talk, so I'll stop here. To sum up Cave Story+: Very nice. Me like.

The resolution of the Wii version is actually about the same resolution as the 3DS one. Only a few pixels different, I think.

The boss fights? Nope. Easy mode is very easy. As in, everything does much less damage to you, but it's still the same game.

Try to get the achievement "I like it hard" (teehee) by beating hard mode. Tongue

Talking about ports, I was looking around but unfortunately there only seems to be DSi and 3DS ports, and I have a DS Lite. I was looking around, and a guy was making a homebrew DS port, but I think it got cancelled since the DSi version.

There are demos, but I really would like to play the full version on DS. I'd prefer playing it on there rather than on the PC.

Mhm, but Cave Story+ is a really great alternative. The homebrew port was cancelled via email from Pixel asking him to stop because of the upcoming paid-version. I suggest you just buy a used DSi on eBay or something. Else, try to get it in an emulator. Match the control scheme to that of the PC's, and you have an advanced version of the same game for PC, but with a much lower resolution.

Meh. I just thought on my DS would be better than on the PC, since I do a heap of stuff on the PC already. So an emulator doesn't help.

And if/when I play it on the PC, I'll probably get the initial version. It's the original, which is what made it famous in the first place, and I'd wager it'd be interesting to go into the game's files and see if I can change anything, which I can't do with a ROM. (Come to think of it, I don't even think I can get it as a ROM, if it came out on DSiWare.)

Heh, maybe. I think DSiWare games are also ripped, but whatever.

The original is slow-paced. Even on my good computer, it runs much slower than the DS and Wii. If you want to just try out the story, then get the original, but if you get really into it, get Cave Story+ and do those achievements.

Well, from what I've seen I don't think I'd like it too much either way, so I just want to play the original to see what the hype's about. It's free too, so no harm done if I don't like it.

Just download it already!

Okay, okay...
*downloads it game and english patch*

Wow, now that I've downloaded it I might actually install it sooner than expected. But maybe not.

Dude it takes about 3 minutes to set up. Just play it already!

It's not the setup I'm worried about, you should know that already...

Anyway, I've played it up to the bit just after I fell and interrupted King. So far the best bit about it is the graphics and music, because it reminds me of Link's Awakening on the GameBoy. So far the story isn't really gripping me yet, but probably because I watched this whole bit in one of my friend's LPs.

Oh yeah, and I didn't know that health containers were health containers until I found that one at the farm, I thought they were just things that fully heal you. So I totally missed that one in the cave.

Ah fail. And you're only that far, so what story? Tongue

Exactly Tongue

Anyway, now I'm up to the part where (who I'm assuming to be) Sue wants me to help her after I saved her, and she just ran off. And right now I've got a lot of questions. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but normally in a game I like to know at least something, like where I am.

By the way, I have a feeling that our game is a bit like Cave Story. Obviously we have a much more advanced gameplay system (spells, items, all that), but we also have a side-scrolling RPG that's based in an underground world, albeit not exactly in caves (which Cave Story seems to be).
My point is, we should think up some stuff to set our game well apart from Cave Story, otherwise people will think we're copying. And for an indie game that's just not cool.

Why do you think I've been saying it has been sounding more and more like a cross between Cave Story and Terraria? Tongue

Ask your questions, here. I will answer.

From what I can gather, you need to read the dialogue. Tongue Sue says who she is in the egg chamber as well as ask if you want to escape with her. Nothing about your helping her. She goes back and tells you to follow. Thus, your next goal is to get back to Arthur's House.

it seems like a cross between terraria, maple story, and cave story. i call it:

terrmapcave storia

-_-

It's not an MMO. If it gets popular, that would be our sequel.

(ignoring spam) i know it's not a MMO or a MMORPG, but it just seems so close to maple story, cave story, and terraria.

-_-

No, I'm saying that Maplestory is an MMO and that this isn't. I thought by saying it was like Maplestory was the same as implying it was an MMO too.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Ask your questions, here. I will answer.

From what I can gather, you need to read the dialogue. Tongue Sue says who she is in the egg chamber as well as ask if you want to escape with her. Nothing about your helping her. She goes back and tells you to follow. Thus, your next goal is to get back to Arthur's House.

I don't want you to answer the questions, I'm giving my opinion on the storytelling style.

I do read the dialogue, I just don't recall Sue saying clearly that she is who she is. And I do recall her saying something like "but you're gonna have to help me".
Anyway, I followed her, and it quickly explains that she is Sue, and then I go to Grasstown, and things begin to clear up a bit. I got up to the battle with Balrog (second so far) and died, then stopped playing.

Anyway, I'll stop posting my progress here. It's just weird. But thanks for pushing me to play it, it's pretty cool. And for some reason it's getting me to work more on my own game Tongue

Your game? You mean...your FLASH game? :trollface:

I just realized that Cave Story original is free, and I might get it. What's the difference between all these different versions?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Original: Full game Pixel did all on his own. A fan-made patch is available to change all the text to English. (free)

WiiWare: "Redesigned" for the Wii, doubling the game's resolution and remixing all the music and sounds. Most fans disliked this version the most as there were numerous bugs and the music was much worse. One of the few things people like about this version was the unlockable "Curly Story" where you could play as one of the other characters in the game. This game also has the last level as a time trial, same with a run-through of all the game's bosses in its own time trial. ($15)

DSiWare: One of the few "perfect" ports, having three save slots like the wii, but with original resolution and graphics. Instead of a remix, they just cleaned up the original music to newer, better quality. Although this version lacks Curly Story and Boss Time Trials, it includes a jukebox to listen to every great track in the game as well as an upgraded version of the final level time trial: during set-up, the music is much nicer, you get a better chance to survive, and when you die, you don't need to pick all your weapons and items again. ($10)

3D: Completely remastered graphics, music, and gameplay. A comparison: Original | 3D. It includes a few extra maps and expanded areas as well. The only bad aspects of the 3D version I can come up with are the lack of alternate modes and preference of graphics over gameplay. This version is the most expensive, but it's also the closest the game will get to a retail game. ($45)

+: This version uses the Wii's graphics (480p) as well as new areas, achievements, sounds, tracks, enemies, etc. This is the one version I don't own, although it's probably the one that's more worth your money. This version gets regular updates too.

An added note: Every version ported by Nicalis (every one except the original) has a more "proper" translation. There are a few noticeable name-changes but nothing too different. Just don't be too surprised when you find out later on that Balrog yells out "Oh yeah!" rather than "Huzzah!"

Ah. I see now. Thanks.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Always happy to help.

Ugh. The 3DS's graphics make it look less special, the oldschool art style is one of the things (for me) that makes the original unique.

And yes, I do mean my FLASH game.

The 3DS version is to make it more like a retail game than anything. Long-time fans loved it. Why would you complain? It's the same gameplay but with a whole new sense of depth and discovery! The Facebook group wouldn't stop commenting on it.

I talked with one of the artists for Cave Story 3D

his artwork = amazing Shock