OUYA

12 replies [Last post]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-c...

They have $4,000,000 already. O.O

Plus:
>Starcraft
>LoL
>Minecraft

I am exciteeeeeed. Pledging $100.

Yeah, I hope for their sake it does good. Consoles should be open and stuff. I don't generally like consoles, but this looks pretty cool. I also just got wisdom teeth pulled out, so apologies if this makes no sense. Whee kinda loopy. But b-OUYA! XD

EDIT: Of course, there may be some downsides, too: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya...

I am personally fairly positive about it. If it does well and they market it well, it could do really great. If not, it could fail. We'll see. In any case, a kickstarter was a really good idea to get people to hear about it.

Since it had things like Minecraft and Cannabalt done immediately, it got Notch and people to tweet about it, allowing the kickstarter to fly.

Meh, I might not get it now. It still looks really cool, but I'd like to see more upcoming titles. I do enjoy that Android supports almost every major language out there, which should inspire a lot of people to port.

Minecraft and Canabalt ARE NOT on it immediately, the developers said they MIGHT. That's not a commitment. That was covered in the Penny Arcade post; the video misleadingly says they are 100% planning on it. Notch said in a tweet that "See, the problem with Minecraft for the Ouya is that it's android, and our android version of Minecraft isn't exactly that super great." Notch didn't commit to anything. If they had, OUYA people would say something along the lines of "We're happy to be working with Mojang to bring Minecraft to the OUYA", and Mojang would be saying "We're happy to be working with OUYA people to bring Minecraft to a new console" and stuff like that. Nobody committed to anything.

Looking back through Adam Atomic's tweets, I don't see him committing to anything either.

Another thing I'm concerned about is only 1 GB RAM. My crummy laptop here has 2, and it can barely run old 3D games (like Psychonauts, which is from several years ago). There's no way an OUYA can run the full version of Minecraft. This computer can barely get 15 fps with Minecraft. And their survey asking about games to port is neat and all that, but you'd have some severe difficulties getting some of those games ported. achurch got Aquaria ported to the iPad with a severe amount of hacking, so well-designed 2D games should be able to run ok with a lot of effort, but Mass Effect? Assassin's Creed? Call of Duty? Skyrim? They're dreaming.
Limbo? Heh, the Humble Bundle guys can't even make a Linux version of that because of middleware audio. An Android version of the game is impossible at best.
Fez? It has trouble running on Xbox hardware; lots of memory leaks and stuff. 1 GB RAM wouldn't be enough to let the game start, much less run.
Terraria? They don't even have official Mac and Linux ports yet. And Mac and Linux are established gaming communities with a large market share. OUYA will have a tough time becoming "worth it" to developers to port.

What the OUYA people really need is a lot of games to run on the console before it's worth buying. And they'll need a lot of people to buy it before developers see it as worth porting to. Let's hope they have enough money from their kickstarter to advertise enough and coax enough developers on that it'll be worth it. Aside from that, it'll just be a fun box for hackers, nothing more.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea; it's a terrific idea. I'd love to see the OUYA do well. But they have a long ways to go before anybody can see if their terrific optimism is going to become a reality or not. They don't even have all their hardware figured out; and all they have so far is a computer-modeled half of a controller. They've got a lot of work cut out for them in the next 8 months.

MOM4erv wrote:
Whee kinda loopy

Did YOU REALLY just said that?

Nope, MOM4erv didn't. But I did. In fact, you can even read it above.

if i had 5,000 dollars, i would give them it. but i am broke. broke like a banker's table a few thousand years ago when the banker was cheating his customers and the government found out.

-_-

So then you would be banco rupto, possessing a broken bench.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

from that phrase we got the term bankrupt.

-_-

I've never been a big fan of console gaming, not so much because of the games available on it (and how they're only from commercial companies), but it's mostly been the gameplay. I mean, most of the time they're pretty comfortable, but I seriously can't see a reason to prefer a right analog stick to a mouse for shooters. Racing can also be a bit tricky to get used to. Not to mention the fact that it's basically impossible to mod console games or fiddle around with their resources (unless you get started with ROM/ISO hacking Tongue).

So while this looks like a good idea and all (allowing indie games on a console is pretty big), I'm not getting too excited. Personally I think I'll stick with PC gaming for years to come.

Yes, my favorite consoles are the innovative ones like the Wii and Kinect, which do things you really couldn't do better with a mouse and keyboard.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yeah, those are pretty cool. So far I've only ever played Wii Sports (and I think Mario Kart Wii too), but Kinect looks pretty fun too. I'm sure shooters on the Wii or PS Move would be pretty interesting.

What I'm really excitee about is the LEAP MOTION sensor coming out, now that's cool...

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves