New theme for Goofans.com

50 replies [Last post]

Hello.

Just for fun (and because I was bored), I decided to start working on another theme for Goofans.com . It's far from being finished but the general idea can be seen here :

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2391/screenshot003xk.png

As you can see, it's based on the level RedCarpet.
David will make it possible to switch from the current theme (the default one) to this new one, in the user settings or with an option.

What do you think of it ? (remember, it's still in progress..)

Come chat with us !
http://goofans.com/irc.php

Interesting... But I think the current one is better....

PS. Thats are Moredator's options at screenshot.... Tongue

Suggestions:
*if you have experiance with flash, maybe you can animate the camera flashes on the top of the screen just like in the real "Red Carpet" level.
*maybe you could make some Bits/blocks to fling across the screen with?
*Animated Beauty ball on the carpet?
*put the crowd from the "Chapter3end" folder (located in the movie folder) at the bottom)
*maybe make a referance to another Indie/kyle game? (i.e. Gish, Attack of the killer swarm, Super tummy bubble, Super Meat boy, etc.
*put a picture above each tab i.e. a small goo tower above the "goofans" tab.(makes things a little fun)

Just suggestions, of course. Wink

* I don't think MR CROFT wants to put the site full of flash, while HTML5 is looming around the corner

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

well, yes. Tongue I was just making suggestions,so there is no "just gotta do or we're all gonna die" deals. Wink

I have more theme ideas as well! How about My Virtual Goofans.com, filled with happy trees, Dikki Painguin music, and the WoGC in the background (labeled 2dboy)? Or The Goo-Filled Website, with the happy music and hills and bushes?

By the way, I wrote a JavaScript script to animate the camera flashes. It's based on setTimeout and style.visibility="hidden". Hopefully HTML5 will be fine with that.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

what will happen there? If it's not needed, then it should probably not be made. Wink

I don't really know anything about HTML5 or JavaScript compatibility.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

HTML5 and CSS3 rock.
I am longing to test them Wink

Come chat with us !

yes. I like Albino Pokey's idea, but what should we do with it?

I was thinking we could make a website for every chapter as a division of goofans.com, or we could do it by having the theme change depending on the tab you are on.

James wrote:

I was thinking we could make a website for every chapter as a division of goofans.com, or we could do it by having the theme change depending on the tab you are on.

Bad idea, that would increase the server load if the theme changes often.

Come chat with us !

kay, then. Remember these are suggestions. Wink

a suggestion:

-below the goofans text add a World of Goo expansion

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

Ok, it's almost finished.
Test Reports :
- Firefox 3.6.8 (Windows) : OK
- Firefox 3.6.8 (Linux) : OK
- Firefox 4.0 beta 5 : OK
- Konqueror (KDE 4.5) : the copyright text at the bottom is too big, a css hack is needed
- Internet Explorer 8.0(Windows) : we need to modify the background image IE hack again..
- Chrome 6.0 (Windows) : OK
- Opera 10.61 (Windows) : OK

Come chat with us !

xanax wrote:
Ok, it's almost finished.
Test Reports :
- Firefox 3.6.8 (Windows) : OK
- Firefox 3.6.8 (Linux) : OK
- Firefox 4.0 beta 5 : OK
- Konqueror (KDE 4.5) : the copyright text at the bottom is too big, a css hack is needed
- Internet Explorer 8.0(Windows) : we need to modify the background image IE hack again..
- Chrome 6.0 (Windows) : OK
- Opera 10.61 (Windows) : OK

So, new theme is going public? I really like, change of scenery is welcomed after 2 years! Smile

and out of all suggestions I would ad just the flashes, all other are ok but a bit to much

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

I am working on fixing bugs.

Come chat with us !

I've got a pretty functional DOM script! Once I get it to work consistently (and have all the images) I'll post it!

James wrote:

How about a drop down menu at the top left, with options like "Chapter 1" and so on? You could do it with unobtrusive JavaScript so that people using ancient browsers would just see the normal Goofans.

Guys, I need your help.

In order to reproduce a "camera flash" effect, I need to find a javascript code that would :
- display quickly (1 second) a PNG image (with alpha transparency) then hide it almost immediately.
- display this image randomly at different positions..

I don't know Javascript at all (I just reuse codes), that's why I ask you (if you know this language) to help me.

Thank you.

Come chat with us !

How about:
function Flash(x,y){
document.getElementById("flashImg").style.visibility="true";
window.setTimeout...
}

Would something like this work?

or

var min_flash = 200;
var max_flash = 2000;

function flash()
{
    var xpos = Math.floor((Math.random() * $('#header').width()) - ($('#redcarpet-flash').width() / 2));
    var ypos = Math.floor((Math.random() * $('#header').height()) - ($('#redcarpet-flash').height() / 2));

$('#redcarpet-flash').css('left', xpos + 'px').css('top', ypos + 'px').show();
    window.setTimeout(unflash, 200);
}

function unflash()
{
    $('#redcarpet-flash').hide();
    scheduleFlash();
}

function scheduleFlash()
{
    window.setTimeout(flash, min_flash + (Math.random() * (max_flash - min_flash)));
}

$(function () {
    $('<DIV id="redcarpet-flash" />').prependTo('#header').hide();
    scheduleFlash();
  });

Laughing out loud

Wow! I wanted to test my full function before posting it, but...

One warning: unless you have the Prototype library on the same page, you have to use document.getElementById(whatever) instead of $(whatever).

Now that I'm thinking...why don't we also have a simple animated GIF that's hidden in the script, so non-JS compatible browsers can run it.

Why don't we each make a theme, then publish them all?

Ummmm... how about using Flash (or HTML5) to allow people to change themes? Then they can keep the old one (default) or view the new ones. Like this:

THEMES
-------------
Ish
Red Carpet
Space Tongue
??????? Tongue

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

I don't want to use Flash. I wouldn't mind HTML5 but the site has to be compatible with a lot of web browsers, and with some 'old' ones too.

And yes, we already planned to use a style switcher. And Red Carpet won't be the default style.

Come chat with us !

Albino Pokey wrote:
Now that I'm thinking...why don't we also have a simple animated GIF that's hidden in the script, so non-JS compatible browsers can run it.

Why don't we each make a theme, then publish them all?

A LOT of people now enable JS by default.

Come chat with us !

Yes, but what about a cell phone browser?

We'll see.
(by the way, i would love the theme to be compatible with Android smartphones).

Come chat with us !

How about a drop-down menu that changes the theme by changing the file path for each image on the page (footer, side_stripe, etc)?

I tried to do "dropdown", but when I did these <> it dissapeared and I just put the themes with dashed line also the list is like this:

• Red Carpet
  • ISH
  • Space, ?????,....., whatever goes here Tongue

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

Space would be cool! For choosing it...what about something like the Personas for Firefox?