Items, Spells, Currency, etc

129 replies [Last post]

I thought it'd be good to make a thread for this since we don't really have one yet. Discussion about items, spells, currency, maybe enemies, should go here.

What I really wanted to talk about though was the currency: are we just gonna have gold like every other game? Or should we come up with something else? Personally, because it's based underground we should have something like ore, like Subrosia in LoZ. Or maybe we could invent a special kind of material. And we can even give it other uses than just currency!

In any case, we definitely shouldn't use gold. That's so common, and a new currency will definitely boost the game's uniqueness.

Agree with the no gold thing. Any suggestions?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Mushrooms. you get them for fighting baddies or monsters, and small ones cheep, big ones are worth more. the bigger the enemy, the bigger the mushroom( s ).

-_-

How about some sort of mineral? Like quartz or silver. We should make something up, like adomonionium or something, and make THAT our currency. It'd make sense as monsters spend lots of time in caves, they might pick up some ore every now and then...

I agree with Red. Like osramium. Something that sounds fairly real, so people will go and Google it Laughing out loud

Anyway, what do you guys think about giving it another use in addition to currency? Like material for crafting or something (if we have such a feature)?

Sure.

I had some ideas about branching. At the beginning, when you get to the first village or whatever, you can choose what you want to specialize in. If you're a first-time player, you can't specialize. Everyone just tells you to go talk to this one plot-important NPC. But after that, you can talk to different peeople, and they allow you to specialize in different things. But you can only choose one. For example, the High Magic System would be one of the choices. I also had an idea for potionmaking. Or you could specialize in mining and be able to break certain walls. All of them change the way the game runs by allowing you to do different things. You could mine through a wall and get into a caved-in passage that blocked your way before. A potion of five-second invulnerability could get you past a short but impossible battle involving a boss monster with near-infinite HP. And so on.

For a metal...how about Unobtainium? In chemistry it means a theoretical type of metal that we can't get on Earth. But it has been used before.
Or maybe Aurorium? Latin for "bright golden metal"?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Unobtainium would be cool. Aurorium might also be good, but isn't that what gold used to be called (hence its chemical symbol Au)?

The specialization thing might also work. Still, some people might just want to be an all-rounder. Maybe you should be able to improve on certain stats how you want.
In any case, there should be multiple ways to complete some or most bits of the game.

I think Aurorium sounds more appropriate for a currency.

Agree. Close topic?

-_-

The Latin work for gold is "Aurum", which comes from "Aurora", sunrise. Aurora could also be used as an adjective for "bright" or "golden" and substantivized. Smile

So gold translates as gold? Recursive loop...

-_-

Yeah, pretty much.

Wait why close topic? What about items and spells? lol....too quick to answer kirdneh!

I don't like Aurum....stand alone. 'Hey man can you lend me some AURUM?'. Its not something that sounds like currency.

'Here's some aurum'
'LOL I STOLE HIS AURUM'

Doesn't...catch on in my opinion.

I am also assuming this won't be an MMORPG, but if it were, people would be like

'Selling Cobblestone for 15a and diamond pickaxe for 110a NO REFUNDS'

15a

110a

mm.... a

doesn't sound like currency. Aurum seems more like an item, not m0n3y1Nd4hH0U$3

Yeah, too quick to answer. A few more money questions, then on to spells.
How about mushrooms?
" four ice wands for 17 large mushrooms! Few in stock! Get 'em while you can! Two left! "

-_-

Maybe some sort of cash or bills. We could also have rewarding items like gold bars that can be traded in for a large amount of "bills".

Maybe. But how about just a material we make up with a cool name? We could have different sized chunks (small, medium, large) and it could be used for both currency and something else.

kirdneh wrote:
Yeah, too quick to answer. A few more money questions, then on to spells.

This thread is just for discussion about these things. There's no order and it's not really finite. We should just use it for a place to talk about these subjects, and once it's completely redundant a mod can close it, if they want.

I vote for Crystal Chips. People can refer to them as CC's

that way, we don't uphold the question of, "why can't I just turn gold bars into coins?". They can look like poker chips made of crystals... lol

Or better yet, crystals! Laughing out loud

whatever works. aurum doesn't

I agree that "Aurum" doesn't work. However, I think that "Aurorium" (as initially suggested) sounds like a great name for a currency.

Food for thought: While brainstorming, don't shoot down ANY ideas, no matter how lame. Just throw out more and more ideas, and we can decide on the final name later. This goes for all kinds of brainstorming. If you're too quick to shoot down ideas, really good ones that seem lame on the surface might just slip you by.

I think crystals or crystal chips is good. And maybe we can also come up with a cool technical name for the type of crystal (like Estokiar) but people can still call them crystal chips (CCs).

I agree with puggsoy.

-_-

Ok then

@MOM

"If something seems good but only on the outside, then that means there must be something better" - Dowitz

Maybe Aurorium Crystals, combining the ideas we have?

That might work.

That will work. And people can refer to them as ACs.

Okay, I'm down with that. The integer value is still going to be "gp" for reference, in case we decide to change it.

Also, we might use AC for Armor Class in the code.

Armor Class?

In D&D, your Armor Class is one of the four defense scores (the others being Fortitude, Reflex, and Will). When you attack with an axe, for example, you roll 1d20 and add your Strength bonus. If the result is higher than the opponent's Armor Class, you hit and roll 1d12+STR for damage.

Basically, an all-around defense score.

Let's agree to have no base defense scores. If you don't have armor, then your defense value is zero. Or if we do have one at least make it ONE base value instead of 3 or 4.