Items, Spells, Currency, etc

129 replies [Last post]

Don't forget to divide by the defense, so you have infinite damage if you get hit without armor! Laughing out loud

That just sounds silly. Tongue

The point is that armor might not defend you from magic, which targets Reflex or Will.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh. I hate how in most rpgs, even if you have the highest-powered armor in the game, you will still always fall to magic. :S

Talking about magic, maybe we should think up some ideas for spells, since currency's sorted.

Are we gonna have the standard fireball, lightning, shield, that sort of stuff? Or do we want our basic spells to be more creative?

We were going to use Elemental Magic and High Magic as the two options, High magic only after you beat the game once.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

That's awesome.

replayability *= 428

Bottle caps for currency?
(Fallout reference)

get my first theme here:
http://goofans.com/download/theme/ivygreen
it is called ivygreen
"SAVE THE WHALES
COLLECT THE WHOLE SET!"

Let's not use currency from another game.

Yeah. Anyway, I don't think people would have access to that many bottle caps in our world.

look, an ozarka bottle! (fifty people dive for it)

-_-

Exactly.
Anyway, since we decided Aurorium Crystals as the currency, I was wondering 2 things.

First, will they just be randomly sized chunks, each being worth 1? Or will we have "chips" or "coins"? And, if the latter, should they just be found like that or (epic idea coming up) will there be a feature in "banks" where you can turn chunks you find into chips/coins, which is required before you can spend them?

Also, since they're crystals, should they be slightly transparent? Like, golden coloured, but still kindof see-through.

puggsoy wrote:
Exactly.
Anyway, since we decided Aurorium Crystals as the currency, I was wondering 2 things.

First, will they just be randomly sized chunks, each being worth 1? Or will we have "chips" or "coins"? And, if the latter, should they just be found like that or (epic idea coming up) will there be a feature in "banks" where you can turn chunks you find into chips/coins, which is required before you can spend them?

Also, since they're crystals, should they be slightly transparent? Like, golden coloured, but still kindof see-through.

1) Aurorium cyrstals are the things that currency is made of. Auroriam Chips would be pieces of a crystal. Aurorium Coins are used for currency.

2) Yup. I'll have a picture of some sometime.

I see. So you find Aurorium Chips, and you get them turned into Aurorium Coins?

Yeah, you would pick up Aurorium Chips throughout, and they could be chunked together to make coins. Let's not make the player go all the way to a town each time he/she wants to make coins to spend. That's silly. The inventory should automatically convert, like how 100 pennies are automatically the same as 1 dollar. (let's use a different, obscure ratio though like 7:1 instead of 100:1)

Or 493:17:1 like in Harry Potter.

That-ish looks good.

Yeah, I was thinking it might be silly to always have to go to town to convert your chips. But it was still a cool idea, and I don't think people are gonna use coins much unless they're in a town anyway.

Yea AP, but a little more clear and shinier, like crystals Laughing out loud

Yeah, that's just a two-color cloud render with a bevel filter. But do the colors look okay?

Yeah, well maybe. That image looks great for a "larger" chunk like a galleon from Harry Potter. You get those from the larger end in the ratio. The smaller "chips" could be like that but with opacity and maybe a different, darker (blue?) color than gold.

Yeah, maybe another colour than gold. Even though they're called Aurorium Crystals, if they're coloured gold then they aren't really that unique anyway.

Sparkly bluish is cool.

I've been watching an LP of a Zelda game, and they used different colored gems for different values. I'm not saying we should do this, but maybe there should be more than one kind of collectible crystal type, which you can redeem for Aurorium cash. Kinda like how in Medieval days, they'd barter spices for gold and such.

Come to think of it: another idea: A bartering system, rather than flat buy/sell for items. Might make things more interesting if it's implemented properly.

Maybe. Bartering may be pretty cool and unique, but it would be hard to implement.

@Howitz: That is the color I was thinking of. Wink

Like in the game Sorcerer?

by Infocom? Nope.

I mean the bartering/haggling stuff. Trying to get the carpet from that stupid merchant.

Tongue

Maybe we could have the Black Market or something. A trade could be offered. Or maybe just allow steam-trading between users or something similar.

Maybe. But not of plot-related items, of course.