Chapter Addins work properly, but the Chapter won't open

16 replies [Last post]

I was making the Sequel to the 2010 Version of The Goo Worlds, which is The Goo Worlds 2: The Symbols of Truth. The only problem for the addin is opening the chapter map. How can I fix this??? Sad

EVERYTHING AMAZING BY INWOG

inwog, publisher of 407 World of Goo levels since 2009-2015

There is no single answer I can give you that will fix the opening of island maps. You really have to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and give us the island.xml. Otherwise we have no idea what's gone wrong, and thus we can't tell you how to fix it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<xsl:transform version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<!-- Copy everything not matched by another rule -->
  <xsl:template match="* | comment()">
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

<!-- Delete existing levels -->
  <xsl:template match="/island/level"/>

<xsl:template match="/island">
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
       <!-- change name and map attribute -->
       <xsl:attribute name="name">StreamIsland</xsl:attribute>
       <xsl:attribute name="map">TGWStreamIsland</xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>

<!-- add new levels here -->
        <level id="TGWSTREAM1" depends="ObservatoryObservationStation" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM1" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM1" ocd="balls,30"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM2" depends="TGWSTREAM1" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM2" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM2" ocd="balls,32"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM3" depends="TGWSTREAM2" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM3" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM3" ocd="balls,36"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM4" depends="TGWSTREAM3" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM4" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM4" ocd="moves,22"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM5" depends="TGWSTREAM4" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM5" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM5" ocd="time,51"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM6" depends="TGWSTREAM5" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM6" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM6" ocd="balls,27"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAM7" depends="TGWSTREAM6" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAM7" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAM7" ocd="time,28"/>
        <level id="TGWSTREAMFINAL" depends="TGWSTREAM7" name="LEVEL_NAME_TGWSTREAMFINAL" text="LEVEL_TEXT_TGWSTREAMFINAL" ocd="moves,46"/>

</xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:transform>

Emm... Maybe you can check MapWorldView if its value is proper.

I fixed the MapWorldView Map, the only problem is the chapter map, it won't open after all. What should I do?

Oof, I'm hopeless at .xsl. If you could give me the resulting island.xml (after installing the goomod), and also the island map's scene.xml, I'd have a better chance of finding a problem.

If it crashes when you open the island, it's probably your map level deviating from the XML.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Nothing wrong about the island.xsl.
If you can't find anythiing wrong in your map level try to use a new profile for testing.
E.g. if you have played the level TGWSTREAM6 but not TGWSTREAM2 before, the game will crash loading the map.

My Chapter map is like MOM4Evr's WorldSpin. I don't know what's the real problem of that Chapter Map?

You shouldn't base your chapter map off of WorldSpin, it uses lots of technical stuff that can mess up your chapter if you don't understand it all (which is probably what's causing your chapter to crash). If you must use a template, use my sample island.

puggsoy wrote:
You shouldn't base your chapter map off of WorldSpin, it uses lots of technical stuff that can mess up your chapter if you don't understand it all (which is probably what's causing your chapter to crash). If you must use a template, use my sample island.

Here's a list of steps that I made the world spin chapter:
1. Making the circle geometry dynamic, hinged it and set into a lower mass.
2. Buttons are anchored into the circle geometry, even other images.

I just make the level sequence in reverse, from island5 through island1.

I don't know myself how WorldSpin works, so there could still be a chance that these changes are causing the crash.

Why are you making your chapter like this anyway? WorldSpin is there so that people can still play original levels with custom chapters installed, it's not made as a way to make custom chapters.

Umm, you're very brave for poking around in WorldSpin, but unless you have a really, REALLY good reason to do so, I would strongly recommend you not. Seriously, the xsl gave me headaches. Daft as Brush used quite a few undocumented, mostly untested features of the game there (and some of the stuff he used may be crash-prone; who knows), and quite frankly nobody can help you because it's all fine-tuned to work, and its quite complex. I, for one, probably can't help you, and I'm the one who made the addin. As puggsoy said, unless you have a good reason for basing it off WorldSpin, don't. Just for your own sanity.

Wait, really? I didn't know there were any useful "features" left undocumented by now! Let me go look at that.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Well, not terribly well documented, afaik. I didn't really check.

How about this, a chapter with a dynamic object with buttons anchoring it. In that case, you don't have to spin the planet manually.

Indeed. But why do you want the spinning planet in the first place? Dynamic buttons are cool and all that, but they should be used sparingly, especially because they're complicated to set up and don't display level text 100% properly.

Don't get me wrong; dynamic buttons are cool. But if you're basing your custom chapter off WorldSpin, you're taking it a little too far. Tongue